Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:01 AM   #11

Are there any negative effects when you increase the shutter speed from say 1/60 to 1/200? If no, then why not always shoot at the fastest?

Also, what batteries should I get with this camera?

Thank you all!

KaosKameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:38 AM   #12

KaosKameleon wrote:
Quote:
Are there any negative effects when you increase the shutter speed from say 1/60 to 1/200? If no, then why not always shoot at the fastest?

Also, what batteries should I get with this camera?
Last question first. My suggestion/recommendation is based on my results with the Z612 and many reports of others' problems with alternate solutions as reported in this forum and others. I'd suggest Kodak's own KLIC-8000 rechargeable LiIon batteries with the Kodak K7500-C charger. This is not the cheapest solution but is absolutely reliable and delivers excellent performance. I'd back this up with a non-rechargeable CVR3 LiMnO2 battery. My personal setup includes 2 KLIC-8000s and 2 CVR3s which I'll admit is a bit a "belt & suspenders" approach.

The total answer to your first question is complex. Photography is a balancing act and photographic techniqueis the art and science of finding the most suitable balance based on the subject and the photographer's intent. Changing the shutter speed from 1/60 to 1/200 sec reduces the amount of light hitting the sensor by 1 2/3 stops or to roughly 30% of the value at 1/60 sec. This light loss must be compensated by either using in a wider aperture which 1) may or may not be available on the lens in question ormay cause an unacceptable shallowness in the depth of field for that particular photo. Alternately one increase the amplification, that is using a higher ISO setting,applied to the sensor output (in film cameras this would be using a faster film) butthis causes a loss in detail due to increased noise (grain in film). The question then in shooting moving subjects is what's going to cause the greatest loss in detail, subject motion or increased noise from the higher ISO. Again we don't always shoot moving subjects so most of the time one would opt for a slower shutter speed and a lower ISO to retain more detail consistent with aperture/depth of field requirements.

I'd suggest that 50% of photographic technique revolves around making these types of choices.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:57 AM   #13

Aaaaaah ok, now I understand. Will the Klic-8000 battery charge if I connect the camera through USB to my computer, or do I really need to buy a dock or a charger. Reason for this is that the charger is not available here and online its really expensive since Kodak.com doesn't ship to Canada.

Thanks again for your great post!
KaosKameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:08 PM   #14

The Series 3 dock will charge batteries. If your talking some other Kodak dock you have to check carefully as some earlier docks will tranfer pictures but won't charge the battery. USB won't charge battery.

I presume you tried the dealers listed in Kodak CAN site and came up blank on the 7500-C charger.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:06 PM   #15

I have been experimenting some and have turned out much better results. I no longer feel like I made the wrong choice in getting this camera. It just took me some getting used to and realizing that it's a different camera than my old one. I do much prefer the colors, and the photos I've gotten this morning are very sharp, even with the kids jumping around. I feel much better. I got a beautiful shot of our kitchen last night in VERY dim light... so I'm happy and can't wait to explore the camera even further.

I have ordered a Klic-8000 battery as it seems to work the best for most. The CVR3 (non rechargeable) only lasted me 2 days and about 200 shots. Of course, that was with a lot of zooming and playing around. It would just get awful expensive, so I'm hoping the rechargeable Klic-8000 will work good.

I was unable to find the Kodak charger for those batteries, but I found a different one that is supposed to charge them. I am going to give it a try... I have talked to others who use the same charger with great results. So I'm hopeful.
amy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:29 PM   #16

Amy-

The Klic-8000 battery is the best solution in my opinion. I am glad that you are getting much better photos, and are now happy with the Z-712 camera. I think it is an excellent camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:09 PM   #17

Best of luck with your new camera! I have the Z612. I'll be honest with you, I stay away from auto mode for exactly the reason you described. The shutter speeds end up being too slow for what I want to do - at least for inside shots. I've been relying on shutter priority to make sure I get shots that aren't blurry.
scrappymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:57 PM   #18

KaosKameleon wrote:
Quote:
And I who was just about to go pick up a Z712 because I wanted sharp pictures...
Don't worry - it's the sharpest digicam I've ever had, thanks to a good lens and the image stabiliser. I've taken thousands of images now since May when I got mine. For the last fortnight I used it intensively on holiday.

Prior to the Z712, I used to use shutter priority by default, unless other factors supervened, to avoid camera shake.With the Z712 I've been using aperture priority mostly, choosing the aperture for the shot. To allowquick snapshots, I've been leaving the lens nearly full open, and 'pointing & shooting', but in "A" mode.

I've hardly ever used the auto modes, and when I have, I've often got anomalous results like those Amy describes.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:01 AM   #19

I have been having a lot of fun playing with this camera and have learned soooo much!! There is so much more to it than my older Kodak and I just had to learn that. I am thrilled with this camera... I'm getting extremely sharp photos, great action shots, and even some fantastic low light shots inside. I am really happy with this camera... loving it!!!
amy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:11 AM   #20

KaosKameleon wrote:
Quote:
....the charger is not available here and online its really expensive
I am finding a pair of 'rechargeable CR-V3' batteries (e.g., Uniross) and charger very satisfactory. I always carry a spare charged one. I saw the same charger & battery yesterday in Wrexham, Wales, in my local camera store for 20 ukpounds. I got mine, identical to the Uniross one, in a Maplin electronic gadget store.

There has been much agonising about Z712 batteries, instigated by me, and many posts about the issues here and in the 'batteries & power supplies' forum. KLIC-8000 is best if you can find it and afford it. Cheaper substitutes will almost certainly do. Some (not me) maintain that high-capacity Ni-MH will do. They don't work for me.

Be careful to have two batteries and a compatible charger. There are two different types of Li-ion 'rechargeable CR-V3' around, one with 2 contacts and one with a third for charging (which I have).

Good luck, Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote