Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:47 PM   #1

I've been enjoying my Z612 since the beginning of March. Within the past few days I've noticed something strange. When in shutter priority, the aperture doesn't change when Iadjust the shutter speed. Also, when in aperture priority, the shutter speed doesn't change when I adjust the aperture. Manual mode seems to be working fine.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Ihaveformatted and reset the camera, hopingit just needed to be reset. It didn't change anything. Any ideas?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for looking!

~Jen
scrappymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:56 PM   #2

I'd call Kodak tech support. Unless the light put the proper exposure well beyond the proper exposure that doesn't seem right by a long shot.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 7:47 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I'll give them a call today.

"Unless the light put the proper exposure well beyond the proper exposure that doesn't seem right by a long shot."

The night before, I used manual mode for a moon shot. The exposure was so off (due to the nature of the photo) that a bar registered in the exposure section. Maybe something inside the camera got confused. But manual mode is working fine, it's the other modes that aren't working properly.

Old Aug 25, 2007, 5:09 PM   #4

I called Kodak. The guy walked me through with a camera on his end. Apparently this Z612 P&S doesn't work the way we're thinking. It adjusts for existing lighting conditions but doesn't automatically change just because the aperture (or shutter speed, depending on which you're working with) does. According to Kodak, there's nothing wrong with my camera.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:33 AM   #5

scrappymom wrote:
Quote:
......According to Kodak, there's nothing wrong with my camera....
Justtwice in my 1400 Z712 shots in the last 2 weeks I thought there was something wrong with the metering, somewhat as you describe. There probably wasn't, and I haven't yet got to the bottom of what my problem was.

However, if you're having this sort of trouble, I recommend you (a) part press the shutter relase button a few times to set and reset the exposure, and (b) find something nice& bright & ordinary for it look at and reassure yourself that you can get a good image of it. My difficulties were in apparently very dull and overcast conditionswith strange lighting looking dull, but actually requiring very little exposure.

Several times I've had to use manual to give as little exposure as the camera will provide (ISO64, 1/1000s, f/8. )I am peeved that the camera often uses much faster shutter speeds in aperture priority than it will allow me set in shutter priority or manual modes.

I've also had trouble achieving correct focus just a couple of times by any means at all in extreme dull evening low contrast lighting, including manual and infinity settings. Infuriatingly, I'd get it right in the viewfinder, and then have the camera insist on refocusing wrongly when I pressed the release. I lost two much desired shots because of this. They're fine, well exposed in extremely poor lighting, but wrongly focused.

Good luck! Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 7:58 PM   #6

Thanks, Alan. It is working fine outside and apparently I misunderstood the way the camera works. All is well here.