Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:52 AM   #1

Kodak is not very descriptive regarding what the firmware is for. They say something about general performance improvements. They don't usually put out a new firmware unless there is a serious problem. Maybe the sound? Focus issues?

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...th=11656/11658
amac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:27 PM   #2

I have great news. A member from another forum contacted Kodak and received the following reply regarding the firmware upgrades:

Kodak sent an e-mail saying the firmware upgrade does the following:

- Faster click-to-click time
- Faster time to display quickview
- Improved video image quality in the HD setting
- Defaults to HD HQ (high-quality) in Video Mode
when using a memory card

The HD video upgrade here is pretty significant for myself or any other Z812 owners out there who decided to shell out the extra cash on this model over the Z712 in the hopes of some half-decent HD quicktimes. If the improved video looks anything like the video in the Z1275 (or better possibly - at least due to the optical image stabilization and bigger lens taking in a bit more light) then I think all Z812 owners will be very pleasantly surprised.

I, unfortunately, don't have the means to get a lithium ion batter until at least the weekend but it would be brilliant if anybody had the means to record 2 test HD clips under the same lighting conditions. 1 before and 1 after. I'm very curious to see the results and can't wait to complete this upgrade myself.

ONE NOTE: If you haven't downloaded it already, download the amazing open source video player known as VLC player. It plays back Z812 clips beautifully smooth (even on a slower PC)

Anyway, there you have it. The upgrade looks promising and any before and after vids would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks,

Double M
Double M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:47 PM   #3

I get staccato sounds on VLC player
slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 4:21 PM   #4

Firmware version 1.4 did not correct the terrible distortion and over modulation sound recording problem common to all Kodak Z812 IS ditital cameras in any mode or resolution during sound recordingof still or video in loud or live music in the background.

I updated two newKodak Z812 IS purchased from the Kodak Store with this new firmware version and could not tell the difference with audio or video before or after at any resolurtion including HD.

If firmware cannot correct this identified engineering sound and AGC problem that Kodak is aware of but doesn't want to talk about, they will be forced to or should recall all Z812 correct this unuseable AGC sound Distortion problem and make good to people who have purchased this model which Kodak rushed to market missing a serious engineering issue missed in field testing and actual sound enviornments.

This is not a repair issue or isolated problem to a few Z812's. All Z812's have this engineering deficiency released tomarket. Everone who has purchased aKodak Z812 IS should raise hell with kodak until Kodak corrects this serious audio distortion and over modulation and AGC problem, and when corrected in production runs should replace all Z812's they have sold to date.

Please listenand view thefile linked below made with a Kodak Z812 ISat a outdoor event with music and singing playing in the background over 200 feet away. The Kodak Z812 IS makes the sound and file unuseable, and a lesser Canon and my $30 Cassette recorderrecord just fine with clear and undistorted audio with good AGC control and levels.

If you have a Z812 it will distort the same during video/audio or sound narration if the background music, sound, noise, ora live group is playing even at a distance. Try recording on yours, and raise hell with kodak until they correct this deficiency on the Z812. Other Kodakstill cams such as the $79 5MP Image Stabilized C513, C613 do not distort or make the sound or videofiles unuseable.

Kodak you get an F for releasing a product with serious sound issues over your $79 C513 that records audio just fine, as well as most other makes and models.Kodak will fail in this HD and high performance, zoom still and video market overlooking and releasing a faulty and deficient sound recording still and video digital camera.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=576892&forum_id=18&page= 3

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=580768&forum_id=87

DeltaSac, Sacramento, CA
Deltasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:29 AM   #5

Deltasac wrote:
Quote:
Firmware version 1.4 did not correct the terrible distortion and over modulation sound recording problem common to all Kodak Z812 IS ditital cameras in any mode or resolution during sound recordingof still or video in loud or live music in the background.

I updated two newKodak Z812 IS purchased from the Kodak Store with this new firmware version and could not tell the difference with audio or video before or after at any resolurtion including HD.

If firmware cannot correct this identified engineering sound and AGC problem that Kodak is aware of but doesn't want to talk about, they will be forced to or should recall all Z812 correct this unuseable AGC sound Distortion problem and make good to people who have purchased this model which Kodak rushed to market missing a serious engineering issue missed in field testing and actual sound enviornments.

This is not a repair issue or isolated problem to a few Z812's. All Z812's have this engineering deficiency released tomarket. Everone who has purchased aKodak Z812 IS should raise heck with kodak until Kodak corrects this serious audio distortion and over modulation and AGC problem, and when corrected in production runs should replace all Z812's they have sold to date.

Please listenand view thefile linked below made with a Kodak Z812 ISat a outdoor event with music and singing playing in the background over 200 feet away. The Kodak Z812 IS makes the sound and file unuseable, and a lesser Canon and my $30 Cassette recorderrecord just fine with clear and undistorted audio with good AGC control and levels.

If you have a Z812 it will distort the same during video/audio or sound narration if the background music, sound, noise, ora live group is playing even at a distance. Try recording on yours, and raise heck with kodak until they correct this deficiency on the Z812. Other Kodakstill cams such as the $79 5MP Image Stabilized C513, C613 do not distort or make the sound or videofiles unuseable.

Kodak you get an F for releasing a product with serious sound issues over your $79 C513 that records audio just fine, as well as most other makes and models.Kodak will fail in this HD and high performance, zoom still and video market overlooking and releasing a faulty and deficient sound recording still and video digital camera.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=576892&forum_id=18&page= 3

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=580768&forum_id=87

DeltaSac, Sacramento, CA
I'd just like to add to this by stating that while the audio capabilities of the Z812 IS aren't excellent, they are useable under many situations.

As somebody else mentioned, this is a still photography camera with the ability to record decent video. If you look at the stereo specs you'll quickly realize that it's more designed for images then audio recording (the stereo audio is only dual 16KhZ)

Having said that, I've recorded some videos where I'm casually talking to friends outside at the park or at a party and been able to hear what's being said pretty clearly on playback. I think the camera's audio EQ is mixed more towards picking up ambient sounds or dialogue in quieter settings, and less designed for concert videos, loud parties or crowded scrums of people.

If you're really concerned with getting high quality photography, video and audio, I'd either spend more money on a professional video camera that can capture high quality stills, or simply aquire a low cost, high quality audio recording device for audio so that you can sync your 720p videos with the external audio device on your computer. This is actually a lot easier to accomplish then it sounds and it's actually how people have been recording professional films for more than half a decade!

Good luck!
Double M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:54 PM   #6

Almost all onboard mics would have problems in a loud environment or with loud music in the background. Only cameras I've seen that can do it would be some camcorders in the 3,000+ range. Even with a rode videomic you would still have to attenuate the input to handle the background noise. If you need a camera that can handle that kind of environment frequently you'll have to invest in a good camcorder and external mic like the stereo videomic and learn how to use it.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:06 PM   #7

I am no expert but the audio is utter rubbish. i have just got back from a gig, and it has ruined my night. whats the point in good quality video if it sounds like this. makes it utterly unusable. i dont expect professional quality, just as decent as my £80 fuji compact which sounds betteer even with mono sound.

Not wanting to sound like a ranting newbie but seriously, I do not expect to have a professional quality video function on this camera (after all, i wouldnt be allowed it in gigs) but even my 3megapixel fuji from 2003 has better sound quality than this Kodak. Surely there is something seriously wrong. i know its a 'stills camera' but in my opinion it does not produce the 'decent, usable' video.

Since then over the past 2 years I have had two small fuji compacts, as well two Olympus, which altho do not have as 12x zoom or the HD option, are still capable of producing a useable video. The videos I have taken tonight look great with the zoom - hurrah - but sound like I am listening to the gig through the mobile phone of someone in the lower level. And are therefore utterly pointless to be blunt.

Do they not do user testing??

I am going to write to Kodak, and I may steal some of your technically speak as I do nto wish to sound like a ranting newbie to them either.

Any advice on who/where/what to write to?

and the gig was Sigur Ros - to distort them is pure sacriledge.
to be honest, I'm gutted.
kookie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:03 PM   #8

kookie21 wrote:
Quote:
The videos I have taken tonight look great with the zoom - hurrah - but sound like I am listening to the gig through the mobile phone of someone in the lower level. And are therefore utterly pointless to be blunt.
I have said it here and at DPReview, you are listening through a cell phone. Go to my last comments on the subject at: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28336613.

Be sure to follow the link provided in that post to Kodak's site.

I am going to restate the question I asked in that post. Given the the US list price of the Z812at introduction was $300 and it is now selling in the $180-$250 range. How much of a premium would you be will to pay for a hypothetical Z*12 Super with improved audio, $25, $50, $100? Be assurred that improving the audio on a Z*12 will increase the price you pay.

Alternately you might complain to Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, etc. about "crappy" sound quality on their cell phones. Any improvements there will translate into better sound quality on digital still cameras.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote