Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:58 AM   #1

Hi

Just bought this camera and an Integral class 6 8gb card. It shows as 8 gb in my card reader but in the camera as 3.5gb (using easyshare) and also the correct amount of pics available for a 4 gb card. Have updated firmware to 1.4. Have formated card both in camera and on PC but no difference. Integral say the card is compatible . Emailed Kodak twice. One email said 8gb shud work and the other email said only 2gb will work!!. Finally rang them and followed all their advice(already done it) and they said the make of card wasnt compatible with thier cameras. Suggested I buy another card but couldnt tell me waht make!!.. They were no help at all and said nothing wrong with the camera. has anybody on here tried 8gb cards?
casjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:23 AM   #2

May not be a direct experience, but my Z1275 does show the size of my 4GB incorrectly.

But I could still manage to fill the 4GB with still pics & video.

I suggest you may ignore the mem space meteres, and then experiment by

1. copying huge files to the 8GB card, and then take more shots / videos in the DC to check if the card can be filled.

OR

2. Take a very long video(s) to fill the 8GB card.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:45 AM   #3

Well this has to be the most disappointing camera I have ever owned. After wasting money on the help line which was no help at all I have tried another card and its still not registering the full 8 gb. I copied 5.5gb of files to the card, put it in the camera and showed 2.5 spare which was correct but still showed the card as a 4 gb card. also noticed the battery level shows at 10% no matter if the batteries are fully charged. In fact the batteries discharge them selves very quickly if you take the card out.; OBVIOUSLY the 1.04 firmware is not working correctly with any class 6 8gb cards and is corrupting itself. Kodak dont want to know!!
casjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 6:03 AM   #4

casjen wrote:
Quote:
...also noticed the battery level shows at 10% no matter if the batteries are fully charged. In fact the batteries discharge them selves very quickly if you take the card out.; ...
What type of battery are you using? If it's Ni-MH AA cells, nearly everyone has found impractically short battery lifetime with them in Z612 & Z712 cameras, which are very similar. There are lots of posts about it since May here & in the 'Batteries and power supply' forum if you search.

Rechargeable Li-ion Kodak KLIC-8000 or rechargeable Li-ion CR-V3 of various kinds all work well, as do disposable Li CR-V3 or Li AA cells.

If you're using one of those types, maybe your specimen of Z812 is faulty.

Good luck!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:23 PM   #5

I wish future DC makers should display the mem space in MB (megabyte) instead of the estimated no. of pcitures or video lengths.

Let the users judge the usage.

Diff quality & compression choices affect the filesizes.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:50 PM   #6

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
I wish future DC makers should display the mem space in MB (megabyte) instead of the estimated no. of pcitures or video lengths.

I think the cameras estimates do take into account quality and compression choices. What the camera can't factor in is the complexity of the shots you haven't yet taken (can you?)

IMPO a non-issue, your milage may vary.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:54 AM   #7

big_potato wrote:
Quote:

In my cam, it shows the number of pictures left that you can take - considering the current setting of resolution. Change the resolution and the number of photos left will change in the display.

It also shows the length of video you can take, again taking into account the configuration for video that I set. Change the configuration, the length of time will change also in the display.

For me, very helpful. I could care less about MBs or GBs, so long as I know how many more pics I can take or how much video I can still shoot.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:40 AM   #8

Try taking long videos to fill up the 8GB on the card. It shouldn't take long...maybe four hours of video at most. If it lets you take 8GB of video, then you know the camera can use all of the card, even if it can't give you an accurate measurement.
Doug1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:09 PM   #9

You have a digital camera...........digital cameras eat batterys like 400lb fat kids eat candy. Get the rechargable battery pack no matter what brand camera you have.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:21 PM   #10

MyZ812 came with a 2gB card. I recentlyreplaced it witha 4gB card. The number of photos available doubled, but the video minutes available stayed the same (16+ for 720p). Software bug?
leroyvanhee is offline   Reply With Quote