Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:02 PM   #1

Saturday I had the opportunity to see the travelling Da Vinca exhibition (created in Austria) which consists of four full size reproduction of his paintings (Mona Lisa and Last Supper being two) and a rather large exhibit of models of his various inventions. In the US the exhibit has been shown in Seattle, Chicago, here in Davenport and will be in Houston next. Taking pictures of the models was a challange, right at the limit of both my Z612 and myself. EXIF data attached but is generally f2.8 @ 1/8 sec., ISO 400.

1. Helicoid drive
Attached Images

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:04 PM   #2

2. Cam actuated drop hammer.
Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:07 PM   #3

3. Writeup on drop hammer:
Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:09 PM   #4

4. Small part of exhibition space.
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:58 AM   #5

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Taking pictures of the models was a challange, right at the limit of both my Z612 and myself.
Was this because you were not allowed to use the flash? If allowed, this may be a good case for using an external flash with bounce capability and diffuser to provide enough light but soften it through bounce.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:58 PM   #6

bayani wrote:
Quote:
Was this because you were not allowed to use the flash? If allowed, this may be a good case for using an external flash with bounce capability and diffuser to provide enough light but soften it through bounce.
Most museums that permit photography do not permit flash or tripods. I didn't actually ask the question here (and they used to light their exhibits more brightly). Additionally many museums exhibits are behind glass and use of an on camera flash, with or without diffuser, will result in glare that will obliterate the subject. Bounce is "iffy" because ceiling height may make it impractical. You may have noticed the manor/museum scene mode on the Z series cameras shuts off flash and sound (although I don't think it raises the ISO.)

There was no glass to contend with here but flash certainly would have been distracting to other visitors so I used P mode, ISO 400 and the exposures were typically f2.8, 1/8 - 1/10 sec.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:26 PM   #7

This is one of those times that p&s digicams are really put to the challenge. Very slow shutter speed and no tripod & high ISO puts your equipment to the test.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 4:15 PM   #8

bayani wrote:
Quote:
This is one of those times that p&s digicams are really put to the challenge. Very slow shutter speed and no tripod & high ISO puts your equipment to the test.
This is, at least theoretically, the realm of the DSLR as many have a usable ISO 1600. Even some of those might be a bit "strapped" as many of the kit lenses are slower than f2.8.

I have different shots of this exhibit posted in the "Other Photos" section. Overall this series shows the effectiveness of the Z*12 IS as virtually every shot was two stops below the rule of thumb 1/30 sec. Unfortunately it also shows the loss of detail (the surface texture/finish) of the really nice woodwork done on the models. This of course is sacrifice made to using a small sensors to get a small camera.

I do doubt that my film SLRs using 800 speed film and f1.4 or f2 lenses (to make up for lack of IS) would have really delivered better results.