Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:16 AM   #1

It seems that one way that Kodak has been keeping its prices low with its current digital camera lineup is to omit theaudio/video cable that comes with most other brands of cameras (and older model Kodaks as well). I have no interest in spending $100 to buy the HDTV dock and although it looks like the Camera Dock Series 3, which will work with the M series cameras, has an available AV cable, the combination of those two items will be $75.

One can buy a Kodak digital camera video cable on eBay for $8 shipped that has white and yellow audio and video RCA/composite connections on one end and a mini-USB connection on theother end. Since the M883 came with a little mini-USB adaptor to connect the camera to the USB cable for charging and computer connectivity, it appears that this sort of video cable would be at least physically compatible, if not electronically, with the M883. Would this work for displaying photos and videos from the camera to a TV or do the docks contain some electronics thatare necessary for outputting video display to a TV?

Thanks.
whinystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:01 PM   #2

Well, I bit the $8 bullet and ordered one of those Kodak A/V cables off eBay and can report that it does indeed work. However, resolution through the composite cableisrather poor - significantly worse than the video display via A/V cables on any other digital cameras I've seen, including my 6 year old 2mp Canon A20 (which doesn't have video). There was no perceivable difference in image quality between VGA video and 8mp still photos - both were rather grainy and low res. However, my 2 year old daughter's reaction on seeing a livevideo of herself onour Hitachi plasma was memorable - she had a blast. So, I'd say it was probably worth $8 and may keep us from blowing $100 on a HD dock.
whinystan is offline   Reply With Quote