Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:24 PM   #1
Administrator

See Steve's hands on review here:

Kodak Easyshare Z1275

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:53 AM   #2

Long awaited thorough review !

(although I'd bought it back in August already)
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:14 PM   #3

Image quality was very good, producing sharp images through out the zoom range, with only slight edge softness. We also saw noticeable barrel distortion on the wide end of the 35mm - 175mm equivalent zoom lens. The colors are very vibrant and the exposure system did well. There is slight noise that is noticeable in some of the blue skies when viewing the images at 100%, but I don't think it would be noticeable in prints unless you were to get bigger than an 8x10.

Wow. I'm used to Steve being quite generous in his reviews compared with Phil Askey, but unless I had a defective camera, the Z1275 I owned for several weeks and subsequently returned last month had none of those positive traits, except color when WB was set to Auto - thetungsten WB setting turned everything blue when used indoors in incandescent light. This camera had incredibly grainy, noisy images at any ISO level, probably the worst I've ever seen. There is no way to adjust file quality - the usual Normal, Fine, Superfine quality modes have been eliminated from this camera and it appears that Kodak decided that what people who purchase a 12mp camera with full manual controls really want is not clear, detailed photographs, but rather the ability tostuff 400 more photos on each of our 2gb cards that cost all of $10 apiece these days. My average image size was about 1.1 to 1.2 mb. in 12mp resolution. To put this in perspective, the Canon A20 2mp camera I bought back in 2001 took photos that were .9 to 1.1 mb in size. Increasing pixel count 600% yet increasing file size only 10% over my seven-year old 2mp camera means that the Z1275's JPEG files are extremely compressed and this explains the high amount of noise and the graininess of every photo I shot with this camera - the file compression program simply stripped all of the details from these photos in order to cram more files onto the memory card. Indoor photos were dreadfully grainy and indoor macrophotography was poor.

It's a real shame that the camera I bought did not resemble the one in Steve's review at all, because aside from badly needing optical image stabilization, the HD video mode was excellent, clear, sharp and bright in low light. I also liked the camera'snice features and easily pocketable size.

whinystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:15 PM   #4

Anyone try a 2GB Rapid Pro 150X SD (ebay) card because it wouldn't work in my Z1275. I tried formating it in the camera and on my laptop but if I tried to take a pic with that SD card in the camera it would just freeze up. The card does work fine in cards readers in my laptop and desktop just not in the camera.
Spec-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 4:18 PM   #5

I wonder if you did have a defective unit. One of my nieces bought the same model and has sent me one perfect picture after another.
profe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:37 AM   #6

No EVF. I need read no further.

Fred
fgreenhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:12 AM   #7

fgreenhut wrote:
Quote:

Fred

Me neither, Fred but I wonder if it's possible to attach a wriststrap :-).

Love, Alma R.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:54 AM   #8

Almar wrote:
Quote:
fgreenhut wrote:
Quote:

Fred

Me neither, Fred but I wonder if it's possible to attach a wriststrap :-).

Love, Alma R.
Wrist straps work on any camera. Even speed graphics.
fgreenhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:42 AM   #9

You could put a wrist strap on it if you were Fred.....but why would you? Optical viewfinder is better than EVF but no viewfinder at all would kill it for me....even if it has a neck strap.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 2:41 AM   #10

I bought the Easy Share last year,

I found it a decent camera but the software is too bloated so I sold it and stuck to my Olympus which only needs my cable to see the images. I can use my own software to hold the images in albums etc.

Iff I want to share then send by e-mail.

:G

*petal246 is offline   Reply With Quote