Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:33 PM   #1

I purchased a Z612 just shy of a year ago. At first I loved it and took well over 1,000 photos in the first few months. Then one day the lens did not move anymore. Sounded like gears were slipping. So I sent it in under warranty (my cost for shipping) and it was fixed. Then durring a trip to Florida in July it started telling me it could not read the SD cards and they needed formatting. I was in a panic because there were a lot of pictures on them. During the same vacation it started giving me the invalid file format error randomly just after taking a picture. And on top of that it started to lock up on me. At first it would start responding real slow like a computer that was ready to crash. Then eventually lock up. I contacted Kodak support again and they said to send the camera in for repairs again. So I did. Just after getting the camera back it all started happening again as if they repared nothing. I called support again and they said to send it in again. I was livid. I demanded better service and basically said I wanted a different camera. This one was a lemon. They finally agreed to replace it so I sent it in. Still at my shipping cost. Well the replacement came and today I was out taking pictures and guess what? After about 25 pictures it gave me the blue screen saying "invalid file format". I turned the camera off then on again and all the pictures were fine. It read them all. So I went on taking more pictures and wanted to review some of them and the thing locked up. Thinking it was the SD card I put in a basically brand new Lexar 1 gig professional series and the camera said the card needed formating. No it didn't. I took the card out and put it back in 3 times and it then read it fine. And it continued to take about 100 pictures fine after that. So what the heck is going on. This so called replacement is having the exact same problems as the one I sent in. Is it the camera or the cards. I have Kodak (Lexar in Kodak skin), Kingston and the latest a Lexar pro. They all exibit the same random problems with the camera. When the camera cannot read a particular card, I put it in my computer card reader and run it through my Image Rescue software and the tests show the cards are ok. If anyone has any advice please reply. I'm ready to give up on Kodak.
dj1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:25 PM   #2

I don't know if this is any part of your problem or not but my practice is to format any newly purchased card before taking any pictures. I do use my computer (via card reader) to deleted photos from the card but I reformat every other time I completely empty the card. Haven't had an problems with my Z612 and believe I've shot around 1500 photos in the past 11+ months.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:36 AM   #3

I just got off the phone with Kodak support. They want me to send it in again (4th time). But this time they will graciously pay for shipping. I tried to talk to the woman, with a very foreign accent, about the technical side of things. Why does this keep happening? Why would the supposed replacement camera have the exact same problems as the one I sent in? She basically kept apologizing for the inconvenience and would offer no real technical help. I even asked to talk to someone about the problems but she said the only thing she can do is setup a repair for it. I'm at a loss. I don't know if the 6 SD cards I have are the problem (very unlikely). Could the computer I use to empty the cards have screwed them up somehow? Honestly I don't think they replaced the camera. I think they slapped on a different serial number sticker and sent the same camera back. There was a small scratch on the lens cover and I swear this replacement has the same scratch on it. I wish I would have marked the inside of the battery lid or something so I could have identified it better. Bottom line is I can put in a brand new SD card, format it and 50 pictures later the camera will suddenly say the card needs formatting. Or give me the blue screen saying it was an invalid file type. Or it will lock-up while going through the menus. If after this repair it still gives me the same problems I will NEVER purchase a Kodak product again and seriously think about going back to my film cameras. I still have a Pentax K1000 that is 30 years old and works fine. I should have purchased the Panasonic camera I planned to before changing my mind to Kodak.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:03 PM   #4

My Z612 was a Kodak refurb purchased DEC 10, 2006 and it took it's first picture (in my hands) DEC 25, 2006. It's met every expectation and performed flawlessly.

On the other hand every manufacturer specific forum within Steve's forums has case after case of cameras not performing as their owners expectedor having "unusual" failures. Some folks seem to have continual bad luck for no known reason.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:08 PM   #5

The thing is, I'm not as mad at the camera problems as I am at the support. They just don't get it. I'm the one out of a thousand people who are having a serious problem with their product. And all I want is a camera that works. It's that simple, nothing more, nothing less. After contacting them for the 3rd time with the same problem they should have simply offered to replace the camera with a brand new one in the box. Not another repair and not a refurbished one. I would have been extremely happy with that and would not be spending so much time badmouthing them at every opportunity. But the support (in who knows what country) is so far removed from the actual company there is no such thing as true personal help anymore. Or someone that really cares about the customer.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:45 PM   #6

dj1111 wrote:
Quote:
The thing is, I'm not as mad at the camera problems as I am at the support. They just don't get it. I'm the one out of a thousand people who are having a serious problem with their product. And all I want is a camera that works. It's that simple, nothing more, nothing less. After contacting them for the 3rd time with the same problem they should have simply offered to replace the camera with a brand new one in the box. Not another repair and not a refurbished one. I would have been extremely happy with that and would not be spending so much time badmouthing them at every opportunity. But the support (in who knows what country) is so far removed from the actual company there is no such thing as true personal help anymore. Or someone that really cares about the customer.
When I mentioned the posts in other forums support has always been a major factor in the complaints. I have some doubts that any world-wide company manages to get consistent support actually delivered to the customer in each of their many facilities.

If I may ask where was the repair facility that handled your camera? My limited experience with Kodak's US support was very good. Kodak had a recall on the DC5000 cameras about a year after it hit the market. They made complete arrangement for shipping the camera both ways and the turn-around was about three days. That was for my personal DC5000 and the 30 or so my organization owned.

I think I'd still reformat each card in camera when you get the camera back.

I do like Kodak's refurbs because they've been checked twice, once at the factory and again before it is made available on their refurb site. Both my DC5000 and my Z612 were from Kodak's US refurb site.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:58 PM   #7

Their repairs are handled through Precision Camera in Enfield CT. I did reformat all the cards in the camera. It still eventually gave me problems with some of them a day later. I was a little leary about all the reformatting. I believe I read it in another thread in this forum that all the reformatting contributes to a shorter life with the cards.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:16 PM   #8

Precision Cameras is probably one change since my DC5000 experience. I think the recall was handled in Rochester.

All memory cards have a finite number (it's a big number) of writes so formatting is using a little bit of the life but sodoes taking pictures. At least a few users in these forums report reformatting their cards far more frequently than I do and haven't worn out their cards. I really wouldn't hesitate to reformat a card if I were having read/write problemsbecause of card life considerations, at least to partially eliminate the card(s) from the equation.

Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:50 PM   #9

Can a computer screw up SD cards? Can it put viruses on it? If they really did replace my original camera with a different one and this one gives me the same exact problems then it would logically seem it's the cards. But I have 3 different brands of cards and they all present the same random problems.

My Lexar Image Rescue software allows you to do a secure erase and formating amongst other things. Would a secure erase wipe it clean and allow it to perform better. I'm grasping at staws I know but I want to get to the bottom of this. Something Kodak can't seem to do.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:28 PM   #10

dj1111 wrote:
Quote:
Can a computer screw up SD cards? Can it put viruses on it?
Quote:
My Lexar Image Rescue software allows you to do a secure erase and formatting amongst other things. Would a secure erase wipe it clean and allow it to perform better.
Quote:
I'm grasping at staws I know but I want to get to the bottom of this. Something Kodak can't seem to do.

1) Yes and yes although since the camera OP system isn't isn't the same as the computer OP system it's unlikely a virus would affect the camera. It might affect transferring the photos to the computer from the card.

2) I think most of the knowledgeable in these forums prefer formatting in-camera because the camera establishes the specific file structure it needs.

3) It hard for the camera tech to analyze the cards when they're your possession. This isn't anyone's fault. Additionally he probably is allotted only enough time on his contract to put in a card, take 5 pics and see that those pics can be read (MBA logic).

You're in a circular situation here. The fact that it happens on three cards points to camera. The fact that it's happened with two cameras points to the cards. That's why I was looking at some procedural issue (formatting/reading/erasing) to unify both major facts.