Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:14 PM   #1

I have an older DX6490 and it works fine for my purposes mostly, except for the fact that the autofocusing is total garbage on any macro shots. Is there anything I can do, any setting I can change or hack or anything, to help it focus better?? Is it just my particular camera that has this issue or is the whole 6490 line? On anything at least 16" or sometimes 12" away there's no problem, but on closer shots it keeps going back and forth for a while until (sometimes sort of) going into what looks like a focus but the AF flashes and the shot is invariably very slightly out of focus in the end. Even a manual focus option would fix this problem for me but apparently you can't set a manual focus either. Otherwise I don't have any issues with the camera, I like using the manual settings but it's frustrating that the focus is so screwy.
CariT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:01 PM   #2

According to Steve's Digicams review http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...490.html#specs the minimum macro focus distances for your camera are:

wide - 12 - 70cm (4.7 - 27.6 in.); tele - 120-210cm (47.2 - 82.7 in.)

It would appear that you may be reaching the minimum focus ability of your camera for the particular focal length you are using. The specs indicate that you can get much closer at the wide setting that at the tele setting.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:55 PM   #3

I just tested it, and it won't focus until I am a minimum of 7 inches away on wide, and 55 inches on tele. So it's within the range specified. I guess I'll need to get a new camera for better close ups.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:54 AM   #4

Well maybe there is something wrong with my camera. I think part of the problem is that when a subject is not perfectly still the auto focus can't figure it out. Either way I guess there's not much I can do about it.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:29 PM   #5

Your trying to do MACRO's on moving objects? Good luck.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:55 AM   #6

I run the focus to a close to good focus then MOVE THE CAMERA IN OR OUT TILL IT GETS A GOOD FOCUS. The auto focus is pretty good from a distance but will not do that well in macro...So get a close to good focus and then MOVE THE CAMERA NOT THE FOCUS. PUSH THE SHUTTER BUTTON IN HALF WAY THEN MOVE IN AND OUT TILL YOU GET THE GREEN BALL. I've shot more than 60,000 photos with a DX6490 and this is the best way I've found to shoot macros with it....But shoot a still object. No camera is going to take good mascros with the subject whipping around in the wind,,, and another good way is with a tripod....Helps get the shakes out of the macro's.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 3:10 PM   #7

Hello - Just found this forum, and thus my first posting.

Acquired DX6490 a few years ago via an auction site, and believe it had a "refurbished" sticker on box, but not sure. Anyway, haven't used much because the focus just doesn't work, except for perhaps one of five shots.

Am not much of a photo buff, so mainly use the 'Auto' setting, and the lack of focus occurs in all three - close up, normal, landscape - modes, even with the green 'in focus' indicator on. Am getting to the point of wanting to post more photos on the WEB, so really would like to resolve this problem. Did contact Kodak, and the best they could come up with is factory repair w/ a $150 fee plus $48 S/H. Only about double what I paid for the camera.

So question is whether anyone out there knows of a cheaper repair shop or possible DIY fix. Am pretty handy; have taken apart a CX7525 and reassembled with only two screws and a spring left over, but have no idea how the auto focus operates [ie, whether there's a mechanical adjustment or if it's software].

By the way, have had all the problems w/ EasyShare (can think of other names for it) mentioned in this and other topics, and do believe best to just send it to bit bucket.

Appreciate in advance any help / advice. Bruce
ULCElectronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 4:06 PM   #8

CariT wrote:
Quote:
I just tested it, and it won't focus until I am a minimum of 7 inches away on wide, and 55 inches on tele. So it's within the range specified. I guess I'll need to get a new camera for better close ups.
If it will only focus to 7" on wide and 55" on tele then it's not working correctly. Doubt that it would be worthwhile to fix.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote