Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   Kodak (
-   -   Eagles on the Mississippi (

ac.smith Feb 16, 2008 9:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice sunshine today. Tomorrow is predicted to be freezing rain and snow. One of the neat things about this area is being able to see bald eagles from late Nov. through early Apr. These were actually within city limits.

ac.smith Feb 16, 2008 9:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ac.smith Feb 16, 2008 9:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw eagles in flight but the only close ones were while I was driving. This was taken using the S-K 1.4x.

andy74 Feb 23, 2008 8:53 AM

Nice pictures taken along the Mississippi AC. I enjoyed both your duck and eagle pictures taken along the big river. Up here in northern Minnesota--Duluth to be exact--we will not start seeing the bald eagles and ducks again for another month or so when the lakes and harbors start opening up or iceing out as we sometimes say and then the northward migration will be underway. Your black and whites were very nice. I keep forgeting that theres a b&w seting on my 6490. Guess I should try it once in awhile. andy74

ac.smith Feb 23, 2008 12:03 PM

Thanks Andy. The eagles seem to start their northward migration from here about the first of April. If one is standing outside along the river mid-morning when the migration starts one will see small groups (1, 2, or 3) seek thermals and gain altitude in the thermals. They break out of the thermal upriver and seek the next thermal. Their migration flight seems much more economical in motion and energy expenditure than their hunting flight.

I still haven't had any good opportunities to for in flight pictures but three of the last four days I've enjoyed seeing them hunt over the river near Lock & Dam 15 on my way to work.

FlashFreddy Mar 13, 2008 1:43 PM

Beautiful photo's! I love wild life landscape and flower photo's. Great job!

ac.smith Mar 14, 2008 10:01 AM

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

mtclimber Mar 16, 2008 12:50 PM

Excellent photos, ac.smith!

They really look good. I am glad I dropped by the Kodak Forum.

Sarah Joyce