Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:01 PM   #11

Being as your very familiar with this beast, I am wondering if I could pick your brain a little??
Is it possible to turn off the flash completely less than idea light situations?
Example.. Today I wanted to sneak a shot of my daughter in her class at school without her noticing me. So I turned the flash off, or at least thought I did. It still flashed. I think the teacher was more shocked than my daughter was though! :|

Ive also noticed that even if you think the picture has been taken, all appropriate artificial effects have run their course, shutter noise and closing ( lcd black out), but you still can affect the photo by moving the camera. The blur and smears of motion with long shutter speeds.

Another little quirk seems to be focusing. I seem to have a problem mastering the idiosyncrasies of just how it wants to work. One picture it is great. In the very next one of the same place, just seconds later with different kids, its out of focus.

Digital is great, and has the instant satisfaction / or disappointment that only 60 seconds from Polaroid use to bring, but the variations between cameras are huge. Not like the good old days when all my35mm Canon , Nikon and even my Pentax 645 gear would just work and you do pretty much do the same settings and get close to the same pictures.
Nowadays, every camera, even from the same manufacture ( or branded with same name) has its own way of doing things , or not doing them, and the user has to live with it.

Dan1Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:17 PM   #12

I'll try to address a couple of your questions. Flash, you can set the flash to off (never flash) with the flash button on top of the camera, just cycle through until you see the slash through the lightning bolt in the EVF/LCD. Note, if the camera needs additional light to focus it will flash the self-timer LED to get additional focusing light but that is generally not noticeable in classroom/office lighting.

Focus, the 812 adds face detection to the multi-focus used on the earlier *12s. I think the face detection makes the focusing a little less predictable than the earlier multi-focus programming. To see what it is going to do half press the shutter and see where the green square(s) is/are. I typically check (no face detection but all other multi-focus feature) and see where the squares are, if in the right area press all the way, if not point the camera differently to get the squares in position, recompose and shoot. Others take the face detection out of the loop by switch modes from smart scene to P. Most recently I've been using multi in auto and center focus/spot meter in PAS modes. I also turn on all the information in the EVF so I can see what the camera is going to do with the half-press technique.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:36 PM   #13

Thats a lot of good advice. I have turned the flash off, but I still see it. Im thinking now that maybe I just notice the led flash because Im close, but no one else will. I know the flash went off in the class room because of the expression on the teachers face.

I'll play around with your suggestions. I just need to relearn a lot of things that use to apply to taking pictures.
I still like the good old days, a good old 150-300 zoom , zoom out and focus to on the farthest point you intend on shooting, and everything within that range is usually in focus. That usually worked great for functions like these. That and a good old fashion Honeywell Stobonar and you could shoot a good clean well lit picture anywhere within 75-100 feet.
And the Now its so, complicated

Thanks

Dan

Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:14 PM   #14

Dan1Dad wrote:
Quote:
Thats a lot of good advice. I have turned the flash off, but I still see it. Im thinking now that maybe I just notice the led flash because Im close, but no one else will. I know the flash went off in the class room because of the expression on the teachers face.

Thanks

Dan
On my Z612 the LED has a bluish cast when shooting indoors and I can definitely see it in the EVF if the light is below office levels.

The element that was new knowledge to me when I started studying your problems was that the auto-flash shutter speed went up when the lens was zoomed. It does follow a logic however as the minimum hand-hold shutter speed should go up for longer focal lengths.

Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:56 PM   #15

I discovered a new problem, but not with the camera, now its with XP and sdhc cards over 4 gig. My card worked the last 2 times I tried it in my notebook card reader, but this time it didnt, so I started checking the obvious. When that failed to bring answers, I checked online. Apparently this is a known problem, and Windows has an unadvertised hotfix for it. MS Hotfix 923293.
Now the real problem is, its not for 64 bit architecture, which my notebooks cpu is the AMD 64 Turion . So now my notebook will not read any kind of card memory anymore. My 8 gig sdhc tossed it a curve, and its now defunk. Microsoft support suggested I try a usb card reader for my cards.
How nice of them.

You might want to file this away as things to remember.

Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:11 AM   #16

Strange. I don't have anything that uses SDHC cards but my HP AMD dual-core x64 desktop really runs (factory load) XP 32 bit. I was under the impression that was still the norm - 32 bit with extensions.

I am a long time advocate of using card readers for photo file transfer rather than direct transfer from the camera.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:25 PM   #17

I have an HP desktop with memory card slots. It will read my 2gB SD card, but it will not read my 4 gB SD card. I have a separate USB card reader and it works fine with the 4 gB card.
leroyvanhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:56 PM   #18

Below is the email they sent me when I applied for the Hotfix. In the next email is when they suggested the card reader. Which I bought a Diablotex 23in1 card reader today,, and I should know better than to go with the cheap one. I basically gave away $10. It sometimes works, you have to wiggle to pigtail usb cable to get it to come to life and it too wont read the 8 gig sdhc card. I get 4 more removable drives listed in explorer, but click on any it says insert media into drive. It also says it reads smartmedia, and there is a slot for it, but inside is a smaller connection port, so my older Toshiba smartmedia cards dont fit either. I tried my XD from my toshiba, my sd, my sdhc, and even my sony stick from my video camera. Nada.

MS support email.vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvv:shock::shock::?

Hello,
Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.
I understand that you would like to obtain hotfix from Microsoft.
Currently the hotfix described in 923293: WindowsXP is not available for X64 bit.
I recommend contacting Microsoft Support Professional at (800) 936-5700 for further assistance. The working hours are Monday - Friday 5:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M. Pacific Time, Saturday - Sunday 6:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M. Pacific Time.
I hope the issue is resolved soon and appreciate your patience in this regard.
Thank you,
Rupali
Microsoft Customer Service Representative
If you have any feedback about your Customer Service experience, please send them to my manager, Pramod Prabhakaran at http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6998852 Please do not forget to indicate the name of my manager in the subject field.

Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:52 PM   #19

Ok A.C Smith, or anyone else who is knowledgeable in this, or just wants to chime in.

I have another one for you.

I tried to shoot some Macro, the flash was to hot so I used some paper to quell its intensity. It made the layout go from landscape to portrait ?? I experimented around with this. I made sure I didn't block the LED or anything else, just the flash lens, and it would do it , but only periodically.

So why would covering the flash lens with a diffuser cause the camera to sometimes think you have turned it on its side?

This is interesting to me because I use a diffuser more than I would have expected when I first shooting about 28 years ago. From Museums ( when I can get away with it) to Jewelry ( hobby of mine) and even things to be posted on Ebay. I still get the photo , at least so far, but who knows.