Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:15 PM   #1

Hello, I have been searching around to find an answer to my question, and after looking though these forums, thought someone might be able to help.

Last week I purchased a Z812 and am very happy with it so far exept for one thing. One reason I purchased this over the Z712 was due to the fact that this has HD video. After the camera came I threw in my 2GB SD card and wasn't too surprised when I could only record 16 minutes of HD video and assumed it was my card size. I found a good deal on a 8GB card which came yesterday. I threw it in the camera and the amount of pictures that I can take increased by about 1000, but the length of video was STILL 16 minutes. :shock: I don't see any limitation like this on Kodak's website. With my old Kodak camera I sometimes took video that about 20-25 minutes.

I checked and I have the latest firmware. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!
Macoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:09 AM   #2

I mentioned the same problem in a post last Dec. In my case, I bought a 4 gB card and the record time was the same as the 2 gB card (16 min). I think it's an uncorrected software bug. I doesn't make sense that 2, 4 and 8 gB cards would all have the same video recording capacity.
leroyvanhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:47 AM   #3

leroyvanhee wrote:
Quote:
I mentioned the same problem in a post last Dec. In my case, I bought a 4 gB card and the record time was the same as the 2 gB card (16 min). I think it's an uncorrected software bug. I doesn't make sense that 2, 4 and 8 gB cards would all have the same video recording capacity.*
It doesn't.. unless Kodak was specifically limiting it for some reason. Did you test some things with it? For example were you able to record longer than 16 min with the 4GB card?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:54 AM   #4

Just a question, what's the record time in 640x480 with the various cards on your 812s?

This really does seem to be a question Kodak should answer because the Z812 spec. sheet on the web http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_USsays: "Length - continuous up to 30 min. based on memory capacity and file size for HD, VGA, and QVGA"
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:20 PM   #5

I have noticed the same thing with my V1253.
I have an 4 gig card.
Video shows ~16min time available at 720PHQ.
I can do about 35 minutes with this card, in 2 seperate files.
This seems to be because of the FAT 32 file system.
It can only "see" 2 gigs at a time.
Stills can estimate what will be used over the entire card because they can see the entire card and devide that by the selected resolution.
Video does not know how long it will be so it can only figure for 1 file to the max file size available. In my case 720PHQ can fit into 2 gigs ( max file size that can be written to in FAT 32 ) = ~ 16 minutes. Even though I have 4 gigs Video know that it can only use 2 gigs at once, max. So it shows 16 minutes.
Last night I ran the video for the entire 2 gig time limit. Then I did another video. On this second video the time counter started to drop as the video recorded.
The good thing about this test shows that you can use the entire card space.
And that the battery on the V1253 can go for at least 35 minutes and a few stills.
I hope I explained this clearly enough.
wthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:39 AM   #6

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Just a question, what's the record time in 640x480 with the various cards on your 812s?
In 640x480 the time goes to 30 minutes.

wthelen wrote:
Quote:
This seems to be because of the FAT 32 file system.
It can only "see" 2 gigs at a time. In my case 720PHQ can fit into 2 gigs ( max file size that can be written to in FAT 32 ) = ~ 16 minutes.
Thanks for the response, but from what I understand that is not correct. According to various places I have looked, "The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 Byte (2^32−1 bytes)." So the max file size is not limited to 2GB, but 4GB.

If 2GB is about 16 min, then I should be able to record a ~4GB file that is about 30 minutes.

Another thought, does anyone know if the camera formats things as FAT or FAT32 by default? The limit on FAT is 2GB per file, so if the camera is formatting it as FAT 16 that would explain the problem. I am getting a new card reader today so I can check that out.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:57 PM   #7

One thing you might want to try is to copy a large file onto the sd card.

Find a file that is 4 gb (or 4gb worth of data) and copy it to your card and see if you can read it back. There are a lot of cheap imitation cards on the market and some of them have listed capacities much higher than what is stated on the card.

The card will show that it has the full 4gb (or whatever is stated) when you check the properties in windows but you will not be able to store 4gb worth of data on it. Check the card first. Also try to format the card with the camera... that sometimes helps.
joedoe is offline   Reply With Quote