Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1

There is always the potential, that all of us might get caught up in the magic of new cameras. However, if we have the sincere desire to be really honest, you know and I know that the Kodak Z-712 is a good deal better than the widely proclaimed Z-812.

If we just look back just a bit further, the Z-7590 was much better than most of the cameras that we see offered todayto us consumers, right now in the Spring of 2008. No, the Z-7590 was certainly not a 10 or 12mp killer camera like the Canon G-9 or perhaps the Canon A-650 camera. But, its images were very creditable, as were the images from the P-850, and the companion camera to the P-850, the legendary P-880?

Today we see cameras that are being equipped with so many mp, that it makes the Gods of Fate call out loudly: Is possible to put 12mp on a convential CCD, and to keep a straight face, while attempting to ignore the very obvious noise and artefacts?. I still enjoy using cameras like the Z-712, the P-850 and the P-880. I even haul out the Z-7590 at times, just for fun. The P-850 and the P-880 even had the very good Kodak P-20 flash unit that could be mounted on their hotshoes.

It might even be time for some "retro" like thinking. What am I saying: the Z-712 is still a great camera, capable of some excellent images.Yes the Z-1085 has it admirers, but not the zoom!

There has been sort of a lapse in activity in the Kodak folder. So, perhaps it time to chat a bit more and to enjoy some photos.

I will leave you with somerather creditable Z-712 photos

Sarah Joyce

The sun and the fog were battling yesterday morning:

Finally here is a nice sunset shot for you:

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:30 PM   #2

Terrific shots, Sarah. The first looks a good ad shot for the cruise company. IMO, the colors look just a bit oversaturated but then no one ever offers to pay me for my opinion. :-)
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:21 PM   #3

Thanks, domang-

I agree with you. The first photo is excellent, but the saturation is a bit much. It does nicely showcase how well the Z-712 does in trying lighting though.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:26 PM   #4

I'm delighted to see this thread, Sarah Joyce, as I follow your, and also the Z712's fortunes quite closely in these forums. I love both of you, in your own ways (sophisticated, high-tech, and with a few foibles!). I feared you & the Z712 had fallen out.

I got this (unseasonal) shot last week, and used it to dress my brother's wedding present.I'm posting my Z712 images regularly in 'Landscape Photos' and 'Biweekly Shootout', as a look in my 'profile' will reveal. As my Z712 approaches its first birthday in May, I have about 7000 shots to choose from. I'm very pleased with many of them.

It's definitely the poverty-stricken outdoor person's substitute for a dSLR; one-tenth the price & one-tenth the weight, if you weigh the lenses. (I have a professional pal, with top-of-the range Nikon kit.) And most dSLR's don't have the live EVF preview. I do much of my image (and formerly darkroom) tonal adjustments before, rather than after, I press the shutter release.

Keep on cruising & posting!
Best wishes,
Alan T
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:30 PM   #5

The trick here is that one of Sarah's photos is from a Z712, one from a DSLR, and one from unknown camera. TheZ712 obviously holds its own.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:03 AM   #6

Alan-

My Z-712 is like the girl in your class who is a close friend, but she will never be your wife. I have lots of cameras to play with, but I always keep coming back to my best friend, the Z-712 for fun and intersting photos. I also own the Z-612, bit Iprefer the Z-712. Alan the posted photo has a great feeling to it. I shall look for more of your work over in the Landscapes Folder. Well done!

We will be home until 25 or 26 April, then it is off to work once more. Between the time we leave in Aoril and when we return in around 30 July, we will only be home in early August for about3 weeks. So this will be a busy year.

AC-

Of the photos that I posted, I honestly believe they are all from the Z-712, but at 73, I don't offer a 100% guarantee any more for the perfect filing of photos. The #1 photo was taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico, when we did a 36 day contract on the Crown Princess (the subject of that photo). I had two cameras with me that day we were out walking in Old Town San Juan, the Fuji S-700 and the Z-712, so I hope it is one of those two cameras. It was filed in the Z-712 file. The #2 photo was just taken a few days ago right off the back deck and I know for sure that it is a Z-712 photo. The #3 was given to me by a friend who knows that I love sunsets. Shealso uses a Z-712, so I put it into the Z-712 file. Withwell over18,000 photos in the file, I try my best to keep them straight. So please forgive me, if I havemade an error. I hope that you enjoyed the photos.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:23 PM   #7

Sarah:

Never fear, I enjoyed the photos. I admit to a bad habit of immediately looking at the exif data every time someone posts a good photo here (but then I sometime misread the data as I did in one case here.) The first photo, which I think is stunning, is clearly a Z712 photo. The saturation is the result of trying to keep that massive white ship from being a blown out highlight. Getting it within the dynamic range delivers the deep, dark, saturated sky we see in the photo. We would have seen exactly the same results 50 years ago with Kodachrome 25 or Ecktachrome 64.

Now the second photo, which I like as well, is the case I misread the exif data. I read Pentax correctly but when it came to model I somehow translated Optio S5i to K10D, how ???.

The sunset, I'm a fan of sunsets as well although I havenever done one with a digital camera,has no exif data so your knowledge of the source probably correctly identifies the camera.

It was your first photo that really grabbed my attention. It's the saturation that provides the intensity to separate itfrom the ho-hum IMHO.

Alan T. did a very nice job as well, both seeing scene and then capturing the image that he saw.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:14 PM   #8

These photos from Sarah and Alan are a tribute to what the "older" Kodaks can do.Also a tribute to their own talent, as well. I agree with you, Sarah, my old Kodak dx7590 can still keep up with all the newer, higher megapixel cams. I recently got a Sony a200( which I am learning to love) but I still reach for the old 7590 most of the time. I'm coming along well and hope to soon be able to contribute more here.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:59 PM   #9

Thanks, Dan-

Its good to hear from you again. I have an A-100, so I can reate to what you are going through. There had not been much activity in the Kodak Folder for awhile, so I decided with AC and Domang's help perhaps we could generate a bit of springtime activity. Yes, I still use my Z-7590 and have fun with it too.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:21 PM   #10

mtclimber wrote
Quote:
...with AC and Domang's hep...
Hep cats.

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

domang is offline   Reply With Quote