Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:31 AM   #1

Thinking of Sarah Joyce's inveterate camera buying, (a necessary expense in her professional life), and her and Alan's (ac.smith's) aeronautical interests, here's oneI took a couple of weeks ago. It's not brilliantly sharp, but I'm rather pleased with it, as it was a rapidly snatched surprise shot, with the aperture priority settings I'd been using on the scenery shortly before.

My wife & son & I were lunching on a hilltop in the Clwyd Range (N.E.Wales), when this local landmark flew over, rather low. It was either approaching or leaving the nearby Hawarden Airport, in the top-right hand corner of NE Wales, just outside Chester. It's used to ferry whole Airbus wings from the factory there to the assembly plant at Toulouse, France. The ones for the new A-380 won't fit in it, so they go on a barge down the river Dee (fortunately to be found at the end of the runway), a couple of miles to the sea. (1/250s, f/6.3, ISO100, 432mm equiv.)

BTW, Sarah, I'm sure you can buy many, many cameras, especially at today's prices, for the cost of a second-hand 747 or a classic long-range flying boat!
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:35 AM   #2

Here's one from later the same day, demonstrating the usefulness of the Z712's 6-shot burst mode to which 'ac' alluded earlier.

My son will attempt to skim a stone wherever a piece of flat water and a flat stone are to be found together.
Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:49 AM   #3

Here is more of the same, but with a more scenic backdrop last August. Ben Loyal, "Queen of the Scottish Highlands," is across the Kyle of Tongue, not far from Cape Wrath, the northwesterly tip of the British Mainland.
Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2008, 5:09 AM   #4

Here's a more artistic presentation of the Ben. I find it rather pleasing as a big print.
Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:37 AM   #5

AlanT-

Many thanks for the great Z-712 photo series. However, I must sam that the photo of the AirBus Delivery Plan was super. You will notice that due to the un usual fuselage shape that the tail assembly but also be a good deal ifferent in its configuration. Thanks again, AlanT.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:03 PM   #6

Alan T.

Thanks for the pics. I believe the official designation of the Airbus is Airbus A300-600 Beluga. Several Boeings have had similar mods and are generally called some variant name of Guppy. The latest seems to be a one off modification of the 747-400 which hauls sub-assemblies of the 787 for Boeing. A side story is that Airbus originally used Guppies for the sub-assembly hauling leading to the quip that Airbuses were delivered on the wings of a Boeing. Some say that the quip was incentive for the Beluga.

Enjoy your scenery shots. Haven't tried any burst shots yet but the shots of your son skipping the stones is good example of the usefulness of that feature.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:36 PM   #7

AC-

I appreciated your comments. The Boeing 747 has had a few variants over the years. Perhaps this variant is the most famous.

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:55 PM   #8

Do you want to see a real surprise? I received the Panasonic TZ-5 today. Frankly, it surprised me a lot. It has a very intelligent iA (intelligent auto mode) and I will be taking it with us on 04/26 when we depart for the Trans Atlantic and Baltic Capitals cruise. It is surprizing small and compact for a 10X optical zoom camera (28-280mm).

Sarah Joyce