Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:56 PM   #1

Hi.

I recently had a spyware problem on my PC. After this, easyshare no longer worked properly. It won't uninstall from add/remove. When I try, I get a message that says "Unable to complete task, error code...blah". I followed this error code link and it suggested downloading a "clear utility", which I did...but it didn't work. Specifically, when it started up it would say "click on arrow to begin", but there was never an arrow!

I have also tried reinstalling from disk. This hangs constantly, usually at about 80%

I had no real problems transferring photos or videos before this, but after that would hang constantly as well. My OS is XP, and my camera is Kodak Easyshare Z612

Is there a procedure for removing this manually.

I am not sure if all problems associated with the sypware are removed from my PC as I am not an expert, but I would like to try to uninstall this program and then reinstall it to see if that will work.
lightpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:56 AM   #2

Buy a cheap card reader, and forget Easyshare! I and many others have said this many times in these forums.

Perhaps Easyshare is fine if everything goes well, but I installed it when I bought my Kodak Z712 a year ago, got into difficulties, rubbed it out, bought a very cheap USB card reader, and have been delighted with the camera ever since. I feel very loyal to Kodak as a result, but deplore their marketing policy. They've got into deep water and lost customers over 'lock you in' battery systems, as well as software.

Camera manufacturers' proprietary file transfer software (not just Kodak's) is a blatant attempt to lock customers into their brand. If Kodak really want loyal customers they should bundle a card reader with their digicams, and concentrate on the cameras, some of which are excellent, and some are rubbish, if you read around these forums.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:24 PM   #3

I second Alan's advice. Before you break XP permanently you need to make sure your system is clean.

Go to :http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/ and do an online scan for infection. If your system comes up clean make sure you have a good quality anti-virus installed and updated. The updates must be done daily. Personally, I use and recommend AVG Free. I'm a system builder and AVG has yet to fail me.

Next, do a Google for Spybot Search and Destroy and also Ad-Aware. Download, install, and update BOTH of them. Run one and then the other. Remove any spyware. There are others that work as well but these are what I use to clean infected systems and they work well enough I've not felt the need to change.

After you have a clean system, go to MS Updates and make sure your OS (XP) is up to date. Lastly, I would do a Check Disk and Defrag on your hard drives.

After this is done you can try to uninstall ES again. If it still won't work, find the Kodak ES folder and delete it. Try a reinstall and then a normal uninstall. If this goes ok then you can run the Kodak cleaner utility to erase the final remnants of ES.

Good Luck,

Fiream

fiream29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 4:52 PM   #4

Don't know why this isn't easier to find but Kodak has an Easyshare uninstaller utility ("Clear Utility" forKODAK EASYSHAREsoftware):

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...rUtility.jhtml

Had a similar uninstallation problem once and this worked like a charm.
Shutterkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:30 PM   #5

Default Doesn't work

I have the same problem and cannot get rid of the software. I went to the Kodak Easyshare site and tried the Easyshare uninstaller utility ("Clear Utility" forKODAK EASYSHAREsoftware") but it comes up with a message to CLICK THE ARROW TO START, the only problem is that the arrow never appears. I would like to upgrade to the latest version to see if that helps but can't get rid of what I have now.
RJStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:54 AM   #6

Kodak's Uninstall worked for me a month ago.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJStevens View Post
I have the same problem and cannot get rid of the software. I went to the Kodak Easyshare site and tried the Easyshare uninstaller utility ("Clear Utility" forKODAK EASYSHAREsoftware") but it comes up with a message to CLICK THE ARROW TO START, the only problem is that the arrow never appears. I would like to upgrade to the latest version to see if that helps but can't get rid of what I have now.
Make sure your anti virus software is turned off when running the Kodak Clear Utility on their website. In addition, I had problems with deleting the easyshare software completely on my Windows XP operating system when running the clear utility. I was still getting pop ups referencing the easyshare software whenever I booted onto my system. What I did was run the Clear Utility again and selected Windows Vista eventhough I have Windows XP. The Clear Utility then removed all of the easyshare software from my computer. I guess their are some capatable components between Windows XP and Windows Vista once downloading certain software.
Bob Whitworth is offline   Reply With Quote