Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 30, 2008, 1:36 PM   #1

I just bought this camera and think it is an excellent cross over between a point and shoot and DSLR (I have both).

However, I can't seem to get the burst mode to shoot the exposure bracketing feature. When pressing the self-timer/burst button, I stop on burst and the manual says it will now shoot in autobracket mode at "normal" +1 and -1 EV. It doesn't.

I tried holding the shutter release down and only get one shot, I try pressing the shutter release down multiple times and simply get the same exposure multiple times.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
rsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2008, 3:45 AM   #2

I have had a Z712 for a year, and I'm very happy with it. I've used exposure bracketing many times, butnot now as much as I did. This is because the EVF gives a rudimentary 'live preview' ofwhat the shot will look like provided you activate the exposure metering by half-pressing and releasing the shutter release first (as when focusing). It's dead easy just to twiddle the EV up or down and take just one extra shot if unsure of the exposure & tonal range. I therefore do a lot of exposure adjustment before, rather than after pressing the button.

To get exposure bracketing press the top panel rear button to cycle through the 2s and 10s timer and 'first burst' and 'last burst' modes to get to the bracketing mode, visible asa "+/-" icon at the top of the display, i.e., it's the 5th press of that button. Adjust the step size of bracketing through the main menu system. You get only three shots, but the step size can be varied over a wide range (useful for sunsets!) in 0.3EV steps.

I have occasionally been bemused to get not as many shots as I expected, or a set of equally exposed shots. This is has always been because I have had the camera set to an exposure mode where it can't deliver, due to not enough light or not enough aperture or shutter speed range. You'll get identical exposures if the camera can't reach the setting your bracketing requires.

I hope this explains your problem. Good luck!

I have found the bracketing & burst modes a little annoying because the in-camera file numbers are amended by inserting a "B" instead of the underscore in the name ("100B1234" instead of 100_1234"). This means that such shots appear in sequence only in Windows' date order sequence, and not in alphanumeric sequence.

I remedy this problem using a freeware utility called 'CKRename', (*) which with a little ingenuity will rename whole blocks of files (after backing up!) to put the "B" on the end instead of in the middle of the filename, so that I get "100_1234B".

*http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 11:41 AM   #3

Viola!

Thank you very much Alan. It works just as you described. After re-reading the instructions, I noticed you had to look for the "+/-" icon to show up to get exposure bracketing and it DOES NOT work in "green mode", only in the other modes (P,A,S,M).

I have never been an auto-bracketing user in the past, but it frustrated me when I seemed to not be able to use a feature in this camera.

This is an ideal vacation camera. I haveseveralsmall 3x zoom point and shoots which are fine for casual snapshots and just bought a DSLR for more "serious" shooting where size and bulk are of no object (I'm finally saying goodbye to film for now). Although a little "long" at the wide angle setting, it's super zoom range along with the IS makes this the ideal balance between features, control and size for a vacation. That along with the ability to use AA's makes it ideal for travel.

The only thing I wish it had was an optical viewfinder. Even if it was not completlely parallax perfect, it's better than trying to compose with the camera at arm's length or trying to read tiny characters in the eye screen.
Old May 2, 2008, 1:21 PM   #4

rsrocket wrote:
Quote:
...The only thing I wish it had was an optical viewfinder....
I'm surprised, because I don't miss it at all. Although my eyesight isn't brilliant, & I wear spectacles for driving and for reading, and have a separate pair for 'computer and orchestral playing only' I have no difficulty in assessing the image and reading the display,and adjusting settings in the EVF either with or without them. In fact I use the LCD only for showing images to other people, which saves a load of battery power. 'ac.smith', a Z612 owner who posts a lot round here does the same. And the lettering in the menu system seems pretty huge to me in the viewfinder.
Old May 3, 2008, 8:13 PM   #5

rsrocket wrote:
Quote:
Viola!

The only thing I wish it had was an optical viewfinder. Even if it was not completlely parallax perfect, it's better than trying to compose with the camera at arm's length or trying to read tiny characters in the eye screen.
I have to agree with Alan. I was reluctant to move to an ultrazoom because of having to use an EVF rather than optical VF, especially after trying the one in the Canon S2IS, but haven't had any real issues with the one on the Z712IS. Like Alan, my eysight isn't great and I wear glasses, but I take them off when shooting pics. This allows me to put my eye right up to the viewfinder to block out ambient light and I see things quite well - and it gains up quite well in low light. It's not as good as optical overall, but I usually forgetthat it's not optical :-)

I never use the LCD for composing images. It's not as good, and using the viewfinder provides much more stability than holding the camera out at a distance where you can see the LCD properly - and the resolution of the LCD is not nearly as good as the EVF, where I can see all the icons easily. JMHO, of course.

And, as to burst exposure mode, remember that in the Menu options you can select how big a difference you want to have with each of the 3 burst exposures. You're not stuck with only plus or minus .3ev but can set it to provide exposure differences of up to plus or minus 1ev. These exposure variations will then varyaround whatever exposure value you start with in your P, A, S, or M modes, with that setting being "Normal" and the value change set in Menubeing above and below that setting. This is really useful stuff for taking a set of different exposures of a scene with dark shadows and bright highlights and using High Dynamic Range software to combine them to get the best overall exposure.

Regards,

Jbz12is
jbz712is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 9:38 PM   #6

Confirming what Alan T says I use the EVF exclusively for hand held shots, using the LCD as a viewfinder only when tripod mounted. Otherwise the LCD is only used to give others a quick review.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 9:52 PM   #7

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Confirming what Alan T says I use the EVF exclusively for hand held shots, using the LCD as a viewfinder only when tripod mounted. Otherwise the LCD is only used to give others a quick review.

A. C.

Oooops, I forgot about that! I agree also with the fact that I DO use the LCD for tripod mounted shots where lighting permits a reasonably good viewable output from the LCD, and of course that includes virtuallyall indoor shots -but not all outdoor shots. LCD is easier with tripod mount, and thanks for the reminder about mentioning that fact :-)

jbz712is
Old May 4, 2008, 11:48 PM   #8

Well, after my first weekend of full shooting, I must now eat my words.

The evf works fine and is totally satisfactory with me using eyeglasses, contact lenses and sunglasses (I'm nearsighted). I thought that it might wash out in bright light without an eyecup, but it worked just fine. The IS gave me excellent hand held shots at super long focal lengths which got me very close candid shots without being obtrusive. I even took several movie segments where the IS virtually eliminated any camera shake and made the movies look like I was taking them with a tripod.

Thanks!
Old May 5, 2008, 12:06 AM   #9

rsrocket wrote:
Quote:
Well, after my first weekend of full shooting, I must now eat my words.

The evf works fine and is totally satisfactory with me using eyeglasses, contact lenses and sunglasses (I'm nearsighted). I thought that it might wash out in bright light without an eyecup, but it worked just fine. The IS gave me excellent hand held shots at super long focal lengths which got me very close candid shots without being obtrusive. I even took several movie segments where the IS virtually eliminated any camera shake and made the movies look like I was taking them with a tripod.

Thanks!
Glad to hear that even this short period of experience has been enough to get you comfortable with the EVF in the Z712IS. It only took me a couple of days also, and I come from a long time ago using SLR film cameras with great TTL optical viewfinders.

I'm not going to suggest that EVF is as good or sharp as optical, but the Z712IS is likely as good as it gets with consumer ultrazooms. And I believe you can get eyecups for it (generic on e-Bay or other sites), and likely only necessary if you shoot with your glasses onin situations whereambient light gets in. I'm nearsighted also, but without my glasses the EVF looks good for everything from seeing the icons to near and far subjects I'm taking pictures of, both indoors and out.

I've only had this camera since Christmas (a gift from my son) but don't mind saying that I'm a fan of it, given all it offers for the price :-)

Regards,

jbz712is
Old May 5, 2008, 1:00 AM   #10

rsrocket wrote:
Quote:
Well, after my first weekend of full shooting....
I'm delighted to hear that you're getting good shots. Show us some!

One of mine from yesterday evening (adjusted by eye in the EVF before shooting) is at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8

Good luck!