Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 16, 2008, 1:40 PM   #21

Thank you so much alan, that post was very informative, i will keep those things in mind while shooting.

I was looking for memory cards and found the following...

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SDSDX3002
Sandisk NEW! 2 GB Extreme III Secure Digital Memory Card

my question is whether this can be used in the z712?

Thanks,
Carly
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 2:09 PM   #22

I bought Z712 IS a year ago. Its my first digital camera, I bought after doing lots of search on camera reviews and comparision, but did not realize that batteries are also equally important. So, without spending enough time, I simply bought 4 Uniross AA Ni-Mh batteries and its charger. I was very much disappointed with its life and without being able to take snaps when needed. Batteries get discharged just in 20-15 photographs.

I have already spent, £17 on Uniross AA batteries and charger.

As these batteries are of no use now for me, I would like to know recomended batteries to be used.

Is AA Lithium battery recomended?

If I buy AA Lithium battery, can I use same charger that of Ni-MH battery for recharging AA Lithium battery?

I really do not want to spend money and struggle with the problems again. Please advise right batteries.

Thanks in advance

~Santosh
santoshbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 9:54 AM   #23

Alan T and I covered batteries earlier in this thread but I'll recap here.

The most desirable battery for the Z*12 cameras is a rechargeable LiIon. The choices are the Kodak KLIC-8000, KLIC-8000 equivalents from a reputable source such as http://www.bestbatt.com, or what is known as a rechargeable CR-V3 sometimes listed as RCR-V3. I find no evidence of rechargeable LiIon AAs.

Most Z*12 users here also carry one or more non-rechargeable lithium batteries such as standard CR-V3s for backup. Z712/Z812 users also have the option of using lithium AAs for backup. There may be a cost benefit for using lithium AAs as a CV-R3 typically costs $9.50 here compared to $6.50 for a four pack of lithium AAs.

Finally a note of caution if you go the rechargeable CR-V3 route be sure to get the matching charger. Alan T has noted several different pin outs on those batteries that while compatible with the cameras are not compatible with other brand chargers.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 9:56 AM   #24

carly wrote:
Quote:
Thank you so much alan, that post was very informative, i will keep those things in mind while shooting.

I was looking for memory cards and found the following...

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SDSDX3002
Sandisk NEW! 2 GB Extreme III Secure Digital Memory Card

my question is whether this can be used in the z712?

Thanks,
Carly
I see no reason why it wouldn't be compatable though you'll probably need to format it in-camera.

A. C.
Old May 22, 2008, 5:03 AM   #25

Thanks Mr. Smith / Mr. Alan T

I think, I would go with KLIC-800 original or replacement.

As I am in UK, I would live to know good resource for KLIC-8000 and its replacement battery store within UK.

Can we get it @ Maplin. I have looked at its site, such batteries are not there.

Any idea?

Cheers,

Santosh
santoshbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 8:36 AM   #26

santoshbk wrote:
Quote:
...I think, I would go with KLIC-800 original or replacement...in UK, ...good resource for KLIC-8000 and its replacement battery...UK...Can we get it @ Maplin....Any idea?...
Yes, 'KLIC-8000 replacement' and a matching charger is probably the best bet. If you Google that, you'll probably get quite a few possibilities, but I can't vouch for how reputable each sitewould be. Make sure (a) that they really are in the UK, and (b) that they actually have them in stock. Jessops might be worth a try.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, I'm happy enough with my 'rechargeable CR-V3' ones, but their capacity is quite a lot less.

I got one 'rechargeable CR-V3' and charger in a Maplin store under the 'Digital' brand, and I think it may be a 'Vanson' from the instructions. I don't know if Maplin still have them. Probably not, if they're not on their website.

I got the other (which fits the same charger) in my excellent & low-priced local camera shop. I'm pretty sure it's identical, but with a different brand label. I see from their website...

http://www.wrexham-cameras.com/digi-battery.htm

...that they sell both batteries and charger. If you don't have any luck with replacement KLIC-8000 you could ring them (number on that web page) and inquire if they'll do mail order. Rhodd, mentioned on that page as their battery expert, knows me well, so if you say 'Alan T' sent you he'll know who you mean, and give you good advice. My Maplin charger and battery cost a lot less a year ago than the £26.99 they quote, but Wrexham are usually very cheap, so I'd look around on the net first.

Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 2:25 PM   #27

hii
i have attached a pic in which i m noticing a lot of barrel distortion at full wide angle.
Is this expected?
Thanks for ur help.
Carly.
Old May 24, 2008, 2:25 PM   #28

hii
i have attached a pic in which i m noticing a lot of barrel distortion at full wide angle.
Is this expected?
Thanks for ur help.
Carly.
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2008, 2:36 PM   #29

Yes, I took this yesterday.

It's pretty astonishing that such lenses exist at all, let alone at such a low price. I find the images distinctly soft at full zoom as well, but I'm aware I'll have to pay much more money for anything that's much better, and probably carry a lot more weight as well.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 3:27 PM   #30

Barrel distortion at wide angles is the norm for zoom lenses and especially those in the super-zoom and ultra-zoom class. The distortion pretty much disappearswith the Z*12 by the time it reaches the 35mm equiv. of 70mm and the last traces of vignetting disappear on my z612 by the time it hits 100mm equiv. Here is a shot at 70mm.

The three figures in this piece represent Abraham Lincoln, the Sauk chief Black Hawk and Bix Beiderbecke, the jazz musician.
Attached Images