Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 8, 2008, 2:31 PM   #1

Hii everyone,

I have made my mind to purchase kodak z712is. I was looking for fz18 and s3is/s5is but the low cost and the good pictures convinced me to go for it. I am getting a price of 179$ in buydig with free shipping and no tax. I believe that would be a good value for my hard earned money. What do you people think?

Please tell me which memory cards, batteries and charger i should get for this camera and from where. Are there anything else that i need to purchase?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carly.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2008, 11:25 PM   #2

That's seems like a good price. That $10 more than Kodak' refurb price.

My Z612 came with a rechargeable KLIC8000 Li-Ion battery, a K8500 charger and I bought an extra KLIC8000 from Kodak. These deliver about 325-350 shots on a full charge with no-flash and using the EVF. I also typically set up for continuous auto-focus but one-shot stabilization. Backing up my rechargeables are two CR-V3 non-rechargeable batteries. These have a self life of 10+ years so they are a good emergency battery and again they should be good for 300-350 shots.

While I'm extremely satisfied with my battery choices the Z712 owner doesn't have a partial solution already in the box and my solution would be more expensive for a Z712 owner. Bestbatt, which has an excellent reputation, offers a KLIC8000 equivalent battery and a matching charger for quite a bit less than the Kodak solution. A number of Z712 and Z812 owners report excellent results with those batteries. Alan T, a frequent contributor to these pages and a Z712 user has a pair rechargeable CR-V3 and matching charger that he purchase from his local camera store (I think) that have given him good results. By the way search on Alan T's threads and you'll find some excellent discussions on rechargeable batteries.

The Z712/Z812s are happy with Li-Ion rechargeables and lithium non-rechargeables but NiMH and alkaline give unsatisfactory performance.

The Z712 will use SD cards up to 2GB and SDHC for 4GB and beyond. Fast cards do not particularly enhance performance on the Z series so reliability is most important criteria. Buy a reputable brand (Sandisk, Kessington, Lexar, etc.) FROM a reputable dealer as fakes and counterfeits abound. The file sizes on my Z612 are a bit smaller than on the Z712 (I use fine compression) and I carry a 2GB, 1GB and a 256MB cards. I'd suggest two 2GB for a Z712. Alan T has a bit different outlook than I do on memory cards but you likely here from him before the weekends out. I'd suggest you purchase a card reader for your computer if it's not built in rather than connect the camera to your computer by cable or dock. Neither Alan T nor I use the Easyshare software shipped with the camera.

You will be able to better define what else you might need after you've used the camera a while.

Post some pictures when you can and enjoy.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 1:46 AM   #3

ac.smith has summarised the situation very well, and I concur with everything he says.[Thanks, Alan, (ac). I'm laid up after a minor operation, so even less rapidly responsive than usual for a couple of weeks]

If I were starting again I'd use a reputable pair of 'replacement KLIC-8000' Li-ion rechargeables, and charger. Sadly this adds quite a bit to the headline price of this camera, with which I continue to be very happy indeed.

The only thing I'd add to ac.smith's notes is...

...if you can't get KLIC-8000 for some reason and go (as I had to) for 'rechargeable CR-V3', make sure you you buy a pair of identical batteries and a matching charger. If you can't find a pair of batteries, you could use a (long-lasting) disposable CR-V3 temporarily while your rechargeable is on charge.

'Rechargeable CR-V3' come in at least 3 different styles, different from KLIC-8000, and with their contacts in different places.They are not necessarily interchangeable with regard to chargers, but will all work in the camera. I have two different brands of battery, superficially identical, which fortunately fit the same charger. Other brands of battery require different chargers.

But to reiterate,go for KLIC-8000 or replacement if you can.

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
.....the Z712 owner doesn't have a partial solution already in the box .....Bestbatt, which has an excellent reputation, offers a KLIC8000 equivalent battery and a matching charger for quite a bit less than the Kodak solution.... Alan T, ...a Z712 user has a pair rechargeable CR-V3 and matching charger... that have given him good results. ....I'd suggest you purchase a card reader for your computer if it's not built in ....Neither Alan T nor I use the Easyshare software shipped with the camera...
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 4:40 PM   #4

Thanks a lot alan and ac.smith. I have ordered my camera from buydig and batteries and chargers from bestbatt. Thanks for the name of that store.. i never knew about it.

Right now I am searching for a 2 gb sd card. There are lot of stores, but I am not sure from which I should buy and also I would get a good price. I saw that buy.com has some get prices, also SuperMediaStore.com and Meritline.com.

However I dont know anything about these stores, can you please tell me your views. Also buydig has 2gb sandisk sd cards for 22 bucks with free shipping and no taxes. Which one should I go for?

Is there any other reputable store from which I can get better prices?

Thanks.
Carly
Old May 13, 2008, 11:02 AM   #5

Wow! A question that I might actually be able to answer.

I went through all kinds of anxiety trying to decide which SD card would be the best for my Z812. One suggestion was to keep the cards small, so as not to put all of one's eggs in one basket. Others insist it's best to use larger cards in order to fit hundreds of images on one card. This, of course, just added to my confusion.

I finally ordered some one and two gig cards from NewEgg.com http://tinyurl.com/4q5ugn(hmmm... not quite sure how to post a link). I don't recall what brands I purchased, but I got several of various brands and sizes, and they all seem to work just fine. I also picked up a couple larger (4 GB) for shooting video, (if I ever get around to actually shooting video).

Bottom line is, go for quality, name-brand cards and a reputable vendor, and you should be just fine. I have ordered, not only from NewEgg, but SuperMediaStore and Meritline and have had excellent buying experiences from all of them.

Good luck & enyoy your new Z712.

-Frank
RedRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 8:02 PM   #6

another question i have in my mind is whether a card reader is absolutely essential?

Carly.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:02 PM   #7

No, not absolutely but Alan T, myself and many others find that a card reader is the most reliable and fastest way to transfer the photos from the card to a computer for storage, editing, uploading and printing. Beyond that directly transferring photos from the camera to the computer is the heaviest drain you can put on the camera battery. I have a card reader built into one of my computers and one external card reader that I use wherever it's required.

Good, reliable card readers are not expensive. The retailer that you trust for the card should have a decent one.
Old May 14, 2008, 9:15 AM   #8

/\ - What he said.... plus

As the computer tech guy for about 150 users/machines, I have found that Kodak Easyshare software has caused problems in most all computers that it is installed on. When a user calls in for problems, such as programs hanging up, computers freezing, etc, the first thing I look for are programs running in the system tray. If Easyshare is there, it goes bye-bye (not an easy task sometimes), and so does the problem. I keep a handful of USB card readers ($5-$10) close by - the user gets one of those, and I once again become their super-hero!

Just my experience, YMMV

-Frank
RedRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:08 PM   #9

RedRocks wrote:
Quote:
/ - What he said.... plus

As the computer tech guy for about 150 users/machines, I have found that Kodak Easyshare software has caused problems in most all computers that it is installed on. When a user calls in for problems, such as programs hanging up, computers freezing, etc, the first thing I look for are programs running in the system tray. If Easyshare is there, it goes bye-bye (not an easy task sometimes), and so does the problem. I keep a handful of USB card readers ($5-$10) close by - the user gets one of those, and I once again become their super-hero!

Just my experience, YMMV

-Frank
I'm also a tech guy supporting 350 remote users in about 20 of 24 time zones. About five years ago I loaded EasyShare on one of my personal computers and I have to say it functioned perfectly. But - I didn't find the functionality gave me anything that I couldn't do already so it was never reloaded as I swapped out computers and/or upgraded my camera. Profesionally I do support 350 Olympus Stylus cameras and I do not load Olympus's software on my users' computers for the reasons above. I also follow the dictum that every piece of software loaded is an additional vunerability so if it doesn't provide enhanced functionality it isn't loaded.
Old May 15, 2008, 1:48 PM   #10

Hii,
i just recieved my camera in the morning and i took some pics straightwaway. I havent recieved my batteries and memory card yet so took the pictures with whatever came with the box.
here r some pics.. plz tell me how the pictures are. Do you think the picture/camera quality is fine? Am I supposed to get better pics than this.
I also have a doubt in my mind, when I start the camera there is a slight noise, I am not sure whether it should be there or not. However when I review the pics there are no such noise. The noise sounds like some motor noise coming from inside the camera. z712 owners.. do u experience similar noise.. or there is some fault in my camera? Kindly advice.