Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 23, 2008, 4:20 PM   #1

I know this is a pretty new camera, but i'm looking into it for my business or for whatever, if anybody has seen, used, own this camera, feel free to comment on its STUFF!

Thankss!
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2008, 10:03 PM   #2

I have had a a Z712is for a year and many thousands of shots, andI'mvery pleased with it. There are numerous examples of its output around these forums.

Recently it and its successor Z812is have been bumped off my friendly local camera shop's 'recommended cameras' list in this category by the 8612and the Fuji S-1000. See http://www.wrexham-cameras.com/WHATS...-DIGI-MAIN.htm

If I had the 8612, I would miss my eye-level electronic viewfinder (EVF), which has revolutionised my photography. It allows all settings, the menu system, anda pretty good 'live preview' to be fully visible and adjustable in any ambient lighting conditions. I hardly ever use the LCD screen except for showing my images to other people. or to reach places where my head won't go.

Next time I'm in the shop I shall ask to try out the Fuji, to test its 'feel' and ease of use for myself. I recommend you do the same with any camera you consider. The layout of controls is excellent on the Z712, and I can do almost all settings I need without removing it from my eye.

The attraction of the Fuji is its use of 4xAA Ni-MH batteries ( I have dozens of AA rechargeables). The Kodak battery optionsare a pain. KLIC=8000 and equivalents are good but expensive and rare. Rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion don't last as long, and have several different non-interchangeable charger systems. Ni-MH will carry a weight penalty. though.

Happy hunting!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 12:31 AM   #3

Thanks, and yeah, the main problem would be the battery, I have 16 good AA rechargables.... so if I went with this one, that would be no good at all..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm pretty addicted to the EVF... it's REALLY great when it's sunny out and can't see the LCD!....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I think I may get the Fuji S9100... it's a camera like i'm looking for, good pro type.... it's on clearance, however, so i'm not sure if i'd be bettering myself by buying a camera on clearance .... what do you think?
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 3:37 PM   #4

'mtclimber' has pointed out to me in the Fuji forum that the S-1000 doesn't have image stabilisation. This rules it out for me. If IS is important to you, make sure your proposed alternatives have it!

Good luck with your purchase.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 6:58 PM   #5

Hi Alan-

Yes, my husband and I were shopping today and I had a chance to handle and try the Fuji S-100fd a bit. It really is only slightly smaller than the Nikon P-80 (an 18X optical zoom camera with full IS and 10mp).

Frankly I became more interested in the Nikon P-80 than the Fuji S-100fd. The P-80 has more features, but it is also more expensive. None the less it was a very impressive camera. Here is a photo from the P-80 that my husband snapped as we had along an extra SD card to use for a few test photos.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 7:01 PM   #6

Exilmo-

I teach digital cameras professionally. Based on comments and photos from my students, more folks are happier with the kodak Z-712 than the Z-812 or Z-8612. The Z-712 remains a real bargain at less than $200.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote