Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:05 AM   #1

Hello
I'm new on the board, I have posted this because I have not found any information on this.
I have recently bought a Z712 IS, and I have to say it is a great camera. It is my first camera with such a zoom and wide angle, since the one I had before, a Nikon Coolpix 3100, was merely a 3x.
I shoot many landscapes, using as much wide angle I can. I noticed many times some sort of distorsion towards the angles and some small blue dominance in the upper left and right of the picture. Nothing hurting, but you can notice it.
This happens only if I use the zoom in a wide angle mode, then if I zoom a little bit in the distortion and vignetting disappear.
I sent the brand new camera to repair cause Kodak told me it could be defective, and they sent it back with the lens adjusted, but the behaviour seems to be the same.
Is some sort of distortion and vignetting quite normal in this camera? I really have no idea if a small amount is acceptable for a camera whose cost is quite low or if it has to be a perfect squared picture.

Thanks a lot/Ciao

marcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2008, 4:29 PM   #2

marcot wrote:
Quote:
Hello
I'm new on the board, I have posted this because I have not found any information on this.

It has been covered a number of times in this forum, most recently here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...=18&page=2

It has also been covered in more general forums because it is also a characteristic of most of the cameras in the Z*12s class regardless of brand.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:28 PM   #3

The barrel distortion and vignetting are hard to overcome in the camera with affordable lenses. The Schneider lens began life as Super-8 lens (Kodak's digital sensor is around the size of a Super-8 frame), and at 12x Kodak and Schneider are pushing its zoom capabilities.

You can compensate for the distortion with post-processing using photo editing software. The one I know best for barrel distortion is Photo Brush from Mediachance. It has a number of slider-based, interactive fix-it tools. You go to menu 'Adjust' > 'Barrel Distortion.' The tool also covers thepincushion distortion that you get with some telephoto lenses.

The vignetting is a tougher issue and involves applying a custom mask that you make. It also requires software that works with layers, and sad to say, Photo Brush does not.

I'm hoping others will chime in with software that handles both these problems.
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:06 PM   #4

The easiest way to handle it is to work at about 100mm equiv. and stop down to about f/4.8 if you can.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote