Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:27 PM   #1

Hello everyone, I have a question about Kodak`s serial numbers, what information is in each number. I was also wondering how many P712 and P880`s were built.

If anyone has this info could you please let me know, Thank You, Tony
Tony Albanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2

Maybe Ron will jump in but my Z612 is KCTFY62601340. I'm guessing the K is Kodak Y6 is year 2006. C for China? 2601340 a serial # but starting when?
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:45 PM   #3

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Maybe Ron will jump in but my Z612 is KCTFY62601340. I'm guessing the K is Kodak Y6 is year 2006. C for China? 2601340 a serial # but starting when?
Never tried to find out Tony!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 4:26 PM   #4

Silly question, but why would anyone want to know that?
anyaonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:45 PM   #5

They may have bought a used one or one that sat in a store for a year or more. Quite often the firmware is updated from time to time and the one they have may have the old firmware. With used lens it helps determine if you have a lens made by 3'd party vendors and which vendor made that lens. The lens maker can be a 200-300 difference in the cost of a lens. A lot of different and varied reasons to know this information. And remember...The only silly question is the one you should have asked but were too afraid to ask for fear of letting your lack of that knowledge show! LOL

Dawg
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:29 PM   #6

I was not accusing him of a silly question, but indicating that mine might be, as why he wanted to know that.

I understand if you knew how many the company made, you might guess at the serial numbers. I would suspect however as sophisticated as serial numbers are these days, you would not have a single number indicating that you have the 34th or 897th item made. Given that then there can be multiple points of manufacture as well.

I assume then manufacture info might be found in the serial number. However it may not be so simple as C is for China.

The serial number would be useless to tell you if it were used unless you could get Kodak to verify that it was previously registered and that would be hit and miss at best. I suspect most people don't register their cameras. Regarding the FW, that is easy enough, you can go to the website and if they have any updates they list them. Most companies if they do an in between manufacturinglotupdate do that.

Regarding lens manufacturers, the serial number is also useless as this is consistent from one camera to the next within a product model number as these lens are an intregral part of that camera. They are not removable.

So my question remains, for Tony to answer, why do you want to know that?
anyaonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:48 AM   #7

No no no....You miss the point. Usually the serial number will indicate the date of manufacture. as for telling if it is used, that is lame. You might be wanting to buy one on Ebay and if you knew the serial number code you could tell how old it is. It's there but like I've said I have never really cared enough to find out. As to Tony's reasons he would have to answer that I guess!

Dawg
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:03 PM   #8

OK guys, I dont want to start anything here, my question has primarly to do with how many were built and when.

Just to have an idea since I have been buying used P series on ebay. I only buy if I can get a good working camera for a low price, less than 100.00 us dollars.

So far I have 4 P850`s, 2 P880`s and 2 P712`s

One of the P712`s I bought new and one of the P880`s I bought refurbashed from Kodak. It just turned into a bad habit buying these cameras that I really dont need.

I will probably sell some. not really intrested in making money, just learning more about Kodak cameras, it gives me something to do. So there you have it, my reason.

Thank you for your help, Tony
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:03 PM   #9

OK guys, I dont want to start anything here, my question has primarly to do with how many were built and when.

Just to have an idea since I have been buying used P series on ebay. I only buy if I can get a good working camera for a low price, less than 100.00 us dollars.

One of the P712`s I bought new and one of the P880`s I bought refurbashed from Kodak. It just turned into a bad habit buying these cameras that I really dont need.

I will probably sell some. not really intrested in making money, just learning more about Kodak cameras, it gives me something to do. So there you have it, my reason.

Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:03 PM   #10