Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 27, 2008, 7:04 PM   #1

Late last year I posted to this forum my trials and tribulations over my Z612 camera. And the terrible support I was getting from Kodak. I got the email address for the Kodak Consumer Advocate group. And finally they sent me another refurbished camera. This was the 4th time I sent the camera in to Kodak. The biggest problem (last year) was it's inability to read memory cards. And giving me that unrecognizable file format error. Well it's been about 6 months of trouble free picture taking until today. I was getting the low battery warning so I switched batteries. It would not power back on. I have 3 rechargeable batteries and my 2 spares were fully changed. It is completely dead. I cleaned the camera's battery contacts, no help. It was warm and humid out today so I thought that may have been a contributing factor. But it's hours later and it still will not turn on. Strangely, if I put it in my Kodak printer it powers up just fine and I can use all the camera/printer features with no problems. I know there's probably no advice anyone can give me, besides avoid Kodak. I love(d) the camera, but I don't think I can bring myself to purchase another Kodak. It has been nothing but a source of heartache and headaches for me.

Update later the same day: I had an old non-rechargeable battery in my camera case and though I'd try it. And surprise the camera worked. The rechargeable vs. non-rechargeable use a different contact for the positive poll. So it appears the positive contact in the camera for the rechargeable battery is dead. That's great, I have 3 of the expensive Kodak batteries that are now useless.

I know Kodak makes dependable cameras but based on my experience alone, they are quite the opposite.
dj1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2008, 5:45 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. On the other hand I shot 600 photo and three shot videos last Sat, at the QC Airshow. Ran through both my rechargeable and had to put in aCR-V3 to finish out.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 3:58 AM   #3

dj1111 wrote:
Quote:
...... I love(d) the camera, but I don't think I can bring myself to purchase another Kodak. ............The rechargeable vs. non-rechargeable use a different contact for the positive poll. So it appears the positive contact in the camera for the rechargeable battery is dead. That's great, I have 3 of the expensive Kodak batteries that are now useless.......
The various flavours of 'rechargeable CR-V3' use only the two end contacts in the camera, andwould presumably work, if a disposable works. They offer a lower terminal voltage and smaller capacity than the Kodak KLIC-8000, but they're what I've used all along, because KLIC-8000s were either unavailable or too expensive at the time.

Buying two of those and a matching charger would be a lot cheaper than replacing the camera, if you like it, and could bear to persist with it after the heartache. The various battery options have been lengthily discussed in the nearby 'Batteries or power packs' forum, by me and a.c.smith and many others over the last year. You could try disposing of the redundant KLIC-8000s and charger among other users.

At least two of these battery typeshave separate charging contacts either on the other end or between the camera-matching end contacts, and require a dedicated, quite cheap charger. In the UK 'Maplins', a 'Radio Shack' lookalike, sell them. (c. 20 ukpounds with battery, spare battery 13 ukpounds; $40/$26). One of my original batteries had gone faulty, and I managed to extract a free replacement after approx. 10 months (unreasonably short life even for a Li-ion battery).

This is yet another case of Kodak shooting themselves in the foot by 'cleverly' trying to lock users into an expensive proprietary battery system.

Good luck!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:15 PM   #4

Update: As it turns out, the camera I had was a replacement and Kodak warranties them one year from date of delivery. So they covered the repair for my battery problem. I just received the repaired camera a few days ago and finally got the chance to test it out. The batteries work fine again but I just about crapped my pants when I turned it on at a wedding and the thing gave me the all too familiar blue screen with the message the memory card needs formatting. No it did not. And it's the newest card I purchased back in January when I first received the replacement camera. I pulled it out and put it back in and it worked fine. Then later it told me it was a read only card. No it was not so I turned it off and on again and everything was fine. So now I'm back to memory card problems. But now I'm starting to doubt if it's the camera. The only constant in this whole circus of events is the card reader I use and my computer. I don't know how the computer could be damaging them but how about the reader. It is one of those Digital Concepts SD USB card readers. It always works fine reading the cards and never gives me a problem. But I do occasionally use it to mass delete a bunch of photos off the cards. Mainly because it takes so long for the camera to do it. And the camera will not allow me to group a bunch for deleting and leaving some behind. I also have the Lexar Image Rescue software. I can test a card (it always reports no errors), do a secure erase then format it. Lexar claims this process brings a card as close to factory specs as possible. Sometimes when I put it back in the camera it will not recognize it. But sometimes it will. And sometimes it says it needs formatting so I let the camera try, but it fails. I now have 7 SD cards and only one (the most recent purchase) works fairly dependably. So the question is, could the card reader be damaging the cards?

dj1111 is offline   Reply With Quote