Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:32 AM   #1

i love my Z740. takes great pics. but the cycle time is about 4 SECONDS between pics, and it's driving me nuts! i miss so many great follow-up shots. I'm using a 150x 2GB SD card. I've tried smaller/different cards, and different quality settingswith no change. i've read that this is a big knock on this model, and mine isn't different or worse. I was just wondering if there was any trick/tip someone knew, or if there's some kind of firmware i could install to speed it up. i shouldn't complain too much, cuz i just ordered a Rebel Xsi :G. But any advice would help, cause i may still use it or pass it down.
MISTERSMIFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:41 PM   #2

Try burst mode, you should be able to take 5 pics in quick succession

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:57 PM   #3

I would suspect that you have "Quickview" turned on. Quickview is the function that shows the picture in the LCD/EVF immediately after you've takenthe pic. I found my Z612 much more responsive after I turned that function off (second day I had the camera and I haven't turned it back on.)

Here is a quote from Steve's conclusions on the Z740:

"The Z740s shooting performance was very good. From power up to first image was captured measured just under 5 seconds. Shutter lag, the delay between depressing the shutter and capturing the image, measured less than 1/10 second when pre-focused and only 2/10 second including autofocus. The shot- to-shot delay averaged 1.6 seconds without the flash and only 1.8 seconds using the flash. The Z740 has two burst modes: Using First Burst, I was able to capture 5 images in 1.9 seconds. Last Burst continuously captured images at the same 2.6 per second rate, saving only the last 4 shots. The viewfinder (either EVF or LCD) briefly displays the last captured image in either Burst mode, allowing you to follow a moving subject. The Z740 flushes its buffer at a relatively fast rate, taking only 7 - 10 seconds to empty a 5 image burst, and allow you to start shooting again. Our test were done using a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB SD card, Program mode, ISO Auto, flash off, preview off, and all other settings at default (unless noted.) Times may vary depending on lighting conditions, camera settings, media, etc"

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 9:11 PM   #4

i feel like a smacked mule. i disabled autoview, and it sped it up significantly! i took 4 pics of my closet door before it even moved! no, seriously, it did speed it up a LOT! i've always has autoview on, and never considered it would be slowing down my cycle speed. It did take5 or 6 secondsto save afterward, but still better shot-to-shot. thanks guys!!!! Like my dad always says:

' there's a difference between ignorant and dumb: ignorant means nobody told ya; dumb means somebody told ya and it didn't help!" don't be afraid to admit ignorance, but try to hide dumb.

:lol:

does that mean i have to take back the Rbel i just ordered?
MISTERSMIFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:14 PM   #5

MISTERSMIFF wrote:
Quote:
i feel like a smacked mule. i disabled autoview, and it sped it up significantly! i took 4 pics of my closet door before it even moved! no, seriously, it did speed it up a LOT! i've always has autoview on, and never considered it would be slowing down my cycle speed. It did take5 or 6 secondsto save afterward, but still better shot-to-shot. thanks guys!!!! Like my dad always says:

' there's a difference between ignorant and dumb: ignorant means nobody told ya; dumb means somebody told ya and it didn't help!" don't be afraid to admit ignorance, but try to hide dumb.

:lol:

does that mean i have to take back the Rbel i just ordered?
Naaah. Keep it around too. I keep a Pentax and about 20 lenses to go with it, as well as my Kodak cameras. Each has a good reason for being there.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:16 PM   #6

Just once or twice I've been annoyed to miss a shot due to 'Quickview', on my Z712is.

However, I still have it switched on, unless I've decided I definitely don't want it for the moment.

The reason is that I usually compose the shot in the EVF, twiddle the EV correction up & down until it looks right, and then shoot. Immediately, I get the 'Quickview'. If it doesn't look right, I shoot again, with a different EV correction, and then get it right. It means I don't have to review the shots to see if I got it right; I already know whether I didor not.

So far as I'm concerned, the Z712 and its EVF and its much-derided 'Quickview' has, to a large degree,taken the guesswork out of my photography.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote