Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:41 PM   #11

I hope the contacts don't line up on the non-rechargeable CRV3!! Studying the available info on the Z1015 it appears that they've shifted once more and are including a KLIC8000 plus charger on the Z1015. That would suggest that a good part of the $50 price difference between the 1012 and the 1015 is the battery and charger.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:11 PM   #12

Sarah,

I'm glad you included a photo of your resident seagull.

A. C.

Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:32 PM   #13

ac.smith-

You are so correct. I pay off that seagull everyday with canned mackrel, just so he can pose for me when needed.

In a more serious vein however, the Z-1012 IMHO is somewhat crippled without the KLIC-8000. For somebody like me that has bits of this and that hanging around, it is no problem at all. But for the kid purchasing his first digital the lack of a proper charger puts him in a real bind.

Here is another photo of Bradley I late this afternoon. The Z-1012 has an excellent LCD and using it is easy.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:11 PM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
ac.smith-

In a more serious vein however, the Z-1012 IMHO is somewhat crippled without the KLIC-8000. For somebody like me that has bits of this and that hanging around, it is no problem at all. But for the kid purchasing his first digital the lack of a proper charger puts him in a real bind.

Sarah Joyce

I agree, the Z*12s really need rechargeable LiIons. At Kodak's prices for the KLIC8000 and charger the price difference between the 1012 and the 1015 is negated although one can purchase suitable equivalents for much less at bestbatt.com.

Another difference between the 1012 and the 1015 is that the 1015 uses sensor shift stabilization which then allows Kodak to potentially offer several camera using the same body but with other lenses based on market evaluations. Example a 10x starting at 24mm equiv. for the P880 crowd or (and this would interest me) an f/2 3x starting at 35mm equiv. for the low light folks. They could fill the marketplace with variants with the only development cost being the lens itself.

So much for my musings.

A. C.

Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:23 PM   #15

AC.Smith-

The many cameras base strategy using different lenses is the only realistic way that Kodak has to go right how. Kodak does not have the power, thrust, or cash that Canon, Panasonic, Sony, or even OLy has.

Kodak has reduced their options so much simply so that they can survive. And I honestly hope that Kodak does indeed survive. However, it is a cut-throat camera business out there.

But suffice to say for right now that the Kodak Z-1012 at a full $(US) 100.00 less than either the Sony H-50 and the Nikon P-80 does indeed establish a small beachhead for Kodak right at a time when they really need it.

My only hope is that the Kodak Z-1015 and its variants last a bit longer than than the Kodak P-880 and P-850 cameras and their accessories did.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:44 PM   #16

Here are a couple more photo samples from the Kodak Z-1012. This one was taken under flourescent lighting in a doctor's office this morning with no flash other than the flourescent lighting that was overhead. Again I was impressed. Yes, its me rather than Bradley!

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:47 PM   #17

Here is a graden shot of a decorative Chinese cabbage done with the Kodak Z-1012.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:27 PM   #18

Sarah:

The photo of you proves that the Kodak Z series has the best auto white-balance in the industry. It can befooled if one illuminates half the scene from one type of light and the other half from a different type of light.If, howeverthe scene is uniformly lit with with just one type of light, regardless of what it is, a Z series will probably get it right.

A. C.

Old Aug 6, 2008, 1:02 PM   #19

AC-

I agree with you regarding the WB on the Kodak Z-1012. The cabbage shot for example was taken under very overcast skies. I has second thoughts as I got back into the car and headed for home.

The old chant of: "Should have used the Cloudy WB!" was ringing in my ears. However, when I opened the photo on the computer to change the image size, I was pleasantly surprised to see the result using the Auto WB.

I have also be pleased with the default sharpness of the Z-1012 photos, and the auto exposure. With rare exception, the photos right out of the camera are spot on in terms of exposure.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:20 AM   #20

All in all-

I am more pleased everyday with the Kodak Z-1012.

Sarah Joyce