Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:35 AM   #31

Here is today's (12 August) photo from the Kodak Z-1012. It was taken in a local super market under a combination of Sodium Vapor and Incandescent lighting. Now that is a tough test for the Auto WB System!

AC would be proud of the results, the photo looks pretty darned good. Please tell us what you think?? It the banana display!

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:49 PM   #32

Well, after a glorious beginning, the Z-1012 has seemed to decline extremely rapidly in IQ. In side by side tests today (19 August) against my faithful Z-712, the Z-712 was consistently turning in far superior IQ in all photos.

So the Z-1012 gets returned tomorrow. I had high hopes for it, but the Z-1012 just seemed to somehow unravel and revert to very poor quality photos. That is not acceptable.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:20 AM   #33

Check out flickr and have a look at the pics coming from the z1012, have you reset the cam to defaults?

Some of the pics are very very good from this level of cam especially high iso.
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:43 AM   #34

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
...the Z-1012 has seemed to decline ..in IQ. ...the Z-712 was consistently turning in far superior IQ....
They're still enthusiastic about it in my local camera shop, when I was musing with them yesterdayabout buying one myself.

What aspect of the images in particular is worse, Sarah Joyce? When they next have a Z1012 in stock (soon, I gather)I could also do side-by-side tests in and outside the shop if I took my Z712 along.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:09 AM   #35

Hi AlanT-

Initially when I received the camera (3 August) the photo quality was brilliant. However, after after 15 days or so of shooting I observed a marked decline in the IQ. Perhaps, it was just me, I have set the camera aside because I have been working very hard to prepare for another upcoming contract.

I will attempt another side by side test with the Z-712 and the Z-1012 before I leave on Saturday and post the samples.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:22 PM   #36

OK, AlanT-

Here is the side by side photo sample test that I promised you.

This was done using natural light and I think it looks much better. So please delete my negative comments concerning the Z-1012.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:25 PM   #37

Ok, AlanT-

Here is a full outdoor photo taken with the Z-1012 using EV-0.7. You will notice that there is still good sharpness and detail in the photo. So honestly I was guilty of giving the Z-1012 a hard time.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 22, 2008, 2:54 AM   #38

Thanks, Sarah Joyce! I'll try a Z1012 in & out of the shop when they've got one, and I'm very tempted.

I hope you have a good trip, and that you get some good shooting weather, better than the largely overcast Scotland and than Wales that I had, and that you get some good shots and amenable pupils.

We're off shortly (when I can start the family) for another day out in the Welsh Hills, with a good day in prospect. Here's daybreak. looking west to Wales just over the hill,from my bedroom window half an hour ago, with the shadow of our chimney pot. I'll clone the phone wires out this evening, if I'm not too tired!
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:50 AM   #39

Hi have you ever tired a tele/wide attachment with your cams, am assuming its the same adapter tube for the z1012 as per earlier models, can you leave the tube in place and use a wide-angle permanently attached?, does the lense vignette down the tube? just windering about the options and if you could add a close-up filter?
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 1:27 PM   #40

adventsam-

Sorry, but I cannot help you. I have never used any accessory lenses on my Kodak cameras.

Sarah Joyce