Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Administrator

See Steve's hands on review here:

Kodak EasyShare Z1012 IS

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:48 PM   #2

Don't consider Z1012IS!

You have to buy additional HDTV dock ($99) for this DC if you wish to watch video in TV. You know there is no A/V cable bundled with DC.

There is no charger and rechargeable battery as well! If you are using rechargeable AA battery, you should replace them after 15 min as it is not fully support Z1012IS! You have buy its rechargeable battery and charger in price of $45!
thchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:57 AM   #3

Please note that the title page of Steve's 1012 review,under " Kodak Z1012 IS Features", has the line "Powered by 2 AA type batteries ".

This is potentially misleading. If you use AAs, they'll have be to primary Li disposable batteries, and not any other sort of AA. Ni-MH rechargeables work very poorly in this range of cameras.

The long-life, low self-discharge 'hybrid' variety of Ni-MH might do for storage, to maintain settings, but not if you want to switch the camera on very often.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 7:12 PM   #4

thchow wrote:
Quote:
Don't consider Z1012IS!

You have to buy additional HDTV dock ($99) for this DC if you wish to watch video in TV. You know there is no A/V cable bundled with DC.

There is no charger and rechargeable battery as well! If you are using rechargeable AA battery, you should replace them after 15 min as it is not fully support Z1012IS! You have buy its rechargeable battery and charger in price of $45!

[align=center]Don't consider listening to bridge dwellers.[/align]
[align=center]They are not always sure they have any idea of what they are talking about.[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:19 PM   #5

Does the Z1012 keep subjects in focus well while zooming

in HD video mode ? From what I could tell playing with one in

store it, doesn't. No memory card in camera and couldn't really tell,

does the zoom slow down in video record mode ?

Thanks for any info.

James

jcotton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:00 PM   #6

PLEASE CONSIDER! this is the best $200 camera that I have even bought. Please name me a better $200 camera for those who do not like this model . Batteries are not $45. I got my recahagable batties and changer (AC/DC) on Ebay for $9 shipped to to my door. (2 batteries and charger) Its getting a little old reading peoples comments on these budget cameras. Yes this camera has some limitations, but 10MP, 6400 ISO, HD video 720p. Come what more do you want for $200. the camera works fine and does what it claims. Yes there are better cameras out there, but not for $200

jcotton5,

I use this camera to film a harvest this year on my farm. On a tripod, full zoom (12x), no focus lock,the combine stay in focus. This is the only example that I have

Thank you
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 12:21 AM   #7

I am new on the forum.

I own a Z1012 IS.

I was trying to play with the Depth of field. I switch the camera to manual then I try to use the higher f-stop 2.8 but when I zoom in all the way the f-stop will change and will not allow me to go back to 2.8.

Any comment on this will be really appreciated.

Zeuken

Last edited by Zuken; May 16, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 1:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuken View Post
....I try to use the higher f-stop 2.8 but when I zoom in all the way the f-stop will change and will not allow me to go back to 2.8.Zeuken
As you zoom in, you make the focal length longer, by a factor of up to 12, in your case. However, the physical dimension of the aperture inside (i.e., the size of the hole the light goes through) doesn't get that much bigger (otherwise the lens would be enormous).

That's why the wide aperture, long zoom lenses used by paparazzi and sports photographers are the size of astronomical telescopes or artillery.

"f-stop 2.8" is properly written "f/2.8", ("f over 2.8") where "f" is the focal length, so f/2.8 has a hole whose size is found by dividing the focal length by 2.8.

So the same size hole has an f-number much smaller on a long focal length (fully-zoomed), than a short focal length. So the maximum aperture (smallest f-number) of your 33-396mm lens is f/2.8 at 33mm, but only f/4.8 at 396mm. If you open the aperture wide, and then zoom in, you'll see the f-number change in the viewfinder display. You have a "33-396mm, f/2.8-4.8 lens", which is what it says in the specification.

This applies to all zoom lenses. It means that image stabilisation becomes even more important, because the lens won't be as wide open as you expect, when you zoom in. This means a slower (longer) shutter speed, and it's even harder to hold the camera still.

All this (and much more) will be explained in any basic guide to photography.

Good luck & happy shooting!

Last edited by Alan T; May 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 10:36 AM   #9

Thanks for a really excellent explanation, Alan!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 4:10 PM   #10

Thanks Alan and Sarah,

I have read a lot on this site and learned a lot as well.

Please forgive me if my question was stupid, but I just started.

Last edited by Zuken; May 22, 2009 at 8:11 AM.
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote