Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 8, 2008, 5:16 PM   #11

there is a firmware fix for the smartouch which is causing the response lag, check kodaks site?
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:27 AM   #12

Hi Every one,

Thanks Adventsam, but lets be quite fair if the camera was say a couple of months or so old youmight reasonably have to upgrade it,but a brand new model not in the shops yet ( not round here anyway) costing £200 you really should not have to think about upgrading the day you recieve it. this now means i have to install Kodak easyshare which i hate as it's so intrusive. Kodak are stateing in their blurb "Best in Class"about the switch on time,they don't say " after you have up graded"!!!.In my previous posting i spoke about the Fred Flintstone manual a 264 page book with 24 of them for English!!, at least with the 740 you got a comprehensive 64pages out of a 192 page book. Again i turn to the 740 nicely fitted with a lens hood to which you could put a protective filter ( I am a great believer in protecting the main lens) with the 1015 Kodak appear to have no hood suitable for it they don't even know the thread size!!. Before you all jump on me and say what the heck did you buy Kodak for when you are knocking it so,I started out digital with a DC3400 beautifull little 2MP camera lovely photo's ,when this was stolen!! i bought the 740 what a camera. The quality of the camera and the pictures let down by the ridiculous start up time of 15seconds so.I still want to give Kodak a chance, i picked the 1015 over a Canon 400D!! I wonder. more later

John
mgoldcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:48 AM   #13

I am looking at this camera for my wife to take her own pics and video. Is it easy to use? I will not be useing the Kodak software, will that be a problem?
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:00 AM   #14

Hi,

Had this camera a couple of weeks, ran it down at the beginning!!But other than no lens hood/adapter and i still don't like the on/off switch i think it's brill. I bought a Sandisk image mate 5in1 reader, very quick transfer.Not done the upgrade yet,does anyone know if the Firmware can be got without using easyshare?

John
mgoldcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:50 AM   #15

I'm still waiting for my Z1015 - It's "with the supplier" so far.

Inspired by your post I havejust downloaded the firmware update (v1.02) from...

http://wwwuk.kodak.com/global/en/ser...oadLanguage=en

found from this link on the Kodak support website....

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...kn035873.jhtml

Instructions look identical to the previous (Z712) ones I've used. It isn't necessary to use Easyshare; you can use a memory card for the transfer. (See "Method 2").

The manual & specifications are on the same site.

All I need now is a camera to put it in. Good luck! Send us some pictures, please!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:45 PM   #16

So... have we definitely confirmed that the click-to-capture delay with the Z1015 is indeed fixed with the firmware update? I'm about to buy either the Z1012 or the Z1015 for my stepdaughter... and I know she and her husband will use the auto setting often. If it's still an issue, perhaps they'd do better with the Z1012 and its slightly faster lens - although the wider and longer zoom of the Z1015 would also be useful to them. They'll be shooting their kids in sporting events at school a lot, so click-to-capture delays won't work at all. Also, Kodak's U.S. site says the Z1015 ships with the KLIC-8000 rechargeable Li-Ion battery. Can anyone in the U.S. confirm that it's the batterr only - and not the battery AND charger?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:09 AM   #17

Biro wrote:
Quote:
...Kodak's U.S. site says the Z1015 ships with the KLIC-8000 rechargeable Li-Ion battery. Can anyone in the U.S. confirm that it's the batterr only - and not the battery AND charger?
The on-line manual can be reached via the shorter link in my post immediately above yours.Very near the beginning, there is a picture, of 'charging the battery', using a plug-in mains supply which charges the battery within the camera, but doesn't power the camera.

Entertainingly, and alarmingly, the 'battery compatibility' listings on the site mention only the KLIC-8000 rechargeable Li-ion, but reassuringly the manual does offer thowaway primary Li CR-V3 as an alternative. I therefore expect my rechargeable CR-V3s to work in it as well, albeit with shorter battery life.

I cannot confirm that the firmware fix works, because I still haven't got the camera. I've alerted my dealer who's waiting for it, in the hope that he'll pre-install it for me, if it hasn't already been done.

Surely there must be some more folk around who've got theirs?

Old Oct 27, 2008, 2:59 PM   #18

Actually the AC adapter that charges the battery in camera does power the camera, but not at the same time. As long as the battery is in the camera, the camera seems to by-pass the battery when it is plugged in. You will get an icon with a green battery and a plug on top of it. The charge indicator light will stop flashing and the camera will work normally. Take the plug out, the icon changes to a single yellow battery. This my take on what I see when using the camera.

Also according to a rep from Kodak, there will be another firmware release for the 1015 increasing the processing speed even more this week.
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:45 AM   #19

Following my long wait, andvarious uncertainties about what settings are available in which modes, I've now cancelled my Z1015 order at my local camera shop. I'll wait until the boss there has given it his usual full workout, and produced some huge prints for the folder on his counter. I'd also like to get my hands on a specimen to try it for myself in the shop.

I was expecting to use higher ISO settings to compensate for the loss of half a stop in return for a wider angle on the lens, but I gather from helpful chatter & discussion here and elsewhere that there are restrictions on ISO and other adjustments in certain of the PASM modes. The manuals & specs available online are unhelpful in detail. I was hoping that the sensor would be improved over that of my Z712, but if I can't always set the higher ISO that's no use. I'm unlikely to want any of the 'smart scene' modes. Also in 'manual' mode you're restricted in stop to wide open or fully stopped-down. This isn't properly manual to my mind. I rather fear this camera is designed with too much automation for my liking, and that machine intelligence has been added at the expense of flexibility.

I'm sure I'd be delighted with a Z1012, which I was trying to purchase at the start of all this, so I'll probably pursue that in due course.

I look forward to hearing more detail on what the camera really will allow from any Z1015 owners out there, especially those who use the non-automatic modes.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:36 AM   #20

To round off this thread, I've now bought a Z1012is, direct from Kodak. I've talked it about in elwyn's nearby thread at..

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...939880#p939880