Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:47 PM   #21

Hi, Alan T

One question: why you choose Kodak Z1012 (I read you cancel the 1015 and bought Z1012) and not Canon SX-10 IS (or the "old" previousPowerShot S5) or Panasonic FZ-8?

All 3 are similar and if not considering the different price...why you choose the Z 1012?

Thanks

Jose A. Tous
jtouso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:33 PM   #22

The competitorsyou mention areall heavier, larger, (as well as more expensive), as you can see from the manufacturers' specifications or from the various reviews here & there on t'net.

The Z1015 wouldn't easily fit in the same very small case as the Z712, but the Z1012 does. The Z1015 has too much silly and largely ineffective automation for my varied shooting, and suffers from the loss of a whole half-stop in aperture, because of the different zoom range.

The Z1012, through the ludicrously trivial addition of a bit of soft rubber on the body where you hold it, now feels remarkably like a 'quality' camera! (I have used a few in my time.)

I have a few likes & dislikes between the Z712 and Z1012, which I'll list here eventually, perhaps. The menu interfacehas got worse through growth (like each successive 'Windows'), but I don't use the menus often; most functions are available through a dial, a thumb-wheel, and a very few easily remembered buttons.

I've had my hands on several of the competitors, and they feel good, but they're all just too solid. I have to carry enough junk as it is when I'm out & about. It all comes down to taste. You have to bear in mind that my tiny breast pocket Casio EX-Z750 was for quite a while my ideal camera (it's still in regular use). The Z**12is cameras were a huge leap,combining that tiny weight & great convenience, plus much of the versatility & quality of my old film SLRs. And the Electronic ViewFinder is WONDERFUL.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:26 PM   #23

Alan-

I am sorry to say that I am a bit confused. Are you addding the Kodak Z-1015 to your already purchased and respected Z-1012 camera??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:32 PM   #24

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Alan-

I am sorry to say that I am a bit confused. Are you addding the Kodak Z-1015 to your already purchased and respected Z-1012 camera??

Sarah Joyce
No, I'm replying to jtouso's post of yesterday, (15Dec, 18:47GMT) on the end of this very long 2-page thread that started in September, and trying to tell him exactly why I'm NOT doing that, or even buying one of the other very good cameras he mentions.

It's a minor matter of time dilation when we get near warp speed, Cap'n! You're right; I like my Z1012 a lot!

jtouso wrote: (Mon Dec 15th, 2008 06:47 pm, on my machine)
Quote:
Hi, Alan T

One question: why you choose Kodak Z1012 (I read you cancel the 1015 and bought Z1012) and not Canon SX-10 IS (or the "old" previousPowerShot S5) or Panasonic FZ-8?

All 3 are similar and if not considering the different price...why you choose the Z 1012?

Thanks

Jose A. Tous
This misunderstanding reminds me of an even older thread round here, from the mists of time, back in the ancient days of March. See the second message in http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=587882&forum_id=85
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote