Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:21 AM   #1

I finally decided to jump and buy a Z1012 as a replacement/backup for my much-loved Z712, which continues to serve me well. However, my good friends in the local camera shop, with whom I wish to stay friends, say they can't supply them any more, but can get the Z1015.

So, heart in mouth, I've ordered a Z1015, coming in about a week, on the grounds that it's very similar in design. I'll like the wider end of the zoom (28mm vs 36), and not miss the long end (420 vs 432). The extra pixels will do instead. I hope the image quality doesn't suffer much on going from 12x to 15x zoom.

...but miss the widest half-stop (f/3.5, instead of 2.8) .I'll hope that the allegedly improved high ISO performance of the 10Mpix sensor will substitute.

...and I'll be able to play with 'RAW' at last, assuming I'll be able to get a cheapish software converter that isn't the monstrous and shaky 'Easyshare'.

I see that in the long, long, longZ1012 thread nearby...

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
....the 1015 uses sensor shift stabilization...
I hope this works as well as the in-lens sensor on the Z712. Any opinions?

Also in that thread...

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
....the Z-1012 IMHO is somewhat crippled without the KLIC-8000....
I've been very happy with mysmaller capacity, lower voltage, 3-terminal rechargeableCR-V3batteries on the Z712. I always charge overnight after a heavy session (with the camera, that is!), and carry a fully-charged spare. Now I'll be able to try KLIC-8000 for myself at last, as that and a charger are bundled again.

I'm aware I'm being bold, so I'd be grateful for any well-informed views on this move, before I actually pay!

PS. There's an amusing Z712 image from a few days ago at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=85

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:02 AM   #2

The main complaint I am seeing in reviews and at other forums is the slow processing speed. This is mainly in smart capture mode (auto mode). You can see several reviews at bestbuy.com.
BigCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 2:54 PM   #3

AlanT-

Congratulations on your soon to be delivered Z-1015. Please keep us posted with sample photos and user comments as you get into the new camera. I am also seriously considering the Z-1015.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:01 AM   #4

Hi Alan,

Havealso ordered the 1015! form Kodak UK, direct, hope you arent paying over the odds, but if you are friendly with the shop and they seem to offer you excellent service, then there is always a price worth paying for good service!

Couple of things, latest is that the lense is is, not ccd shift, in deed I do hope so. Also that the colours have been "popped" up a bit since the 12, so most people are happy. Also the raw is the icing on the cake, lots to play with there, you can export the raw files out of bundled s/w in 8bit tiff file as well, then you'll need to run a clean-up on them, but it does at least offer very real shaprening and noise reduction options to you specific taste, anyway enough said, will also report back once I recieve mine.
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:43 AM   #5

Adventsam wrote:
Quote:
...ordered the 1015! form Kodak UK, direct...but if you are friendly with the shop...there is always a price worth paying for good service!...
Great, thanks. We'll be able to compare notes soon, I hope.

I'll probably be paying uk£239. The last listing from Wrexham showed the 1012 at £219, so it's about the same, allowing them £20 for the charger & battery (it's that much now for rechargeable CR-V3 from Maplin).

I also paid £219 there for my Z712 18 months ago. Their service has always been excellent, and their prices are generally very low as well (and no postage cost, of course, apart from 11 miles of diesel and back, and I go there for the shopping anyway). They're branching out into mail order as well, under the name 'Vostro Cameras'. www.wrexcam.com
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:47 AM   #6

its £199 direct with kodak, plus delivery, so your ok!

good to compare notes, I'm in north yorks.
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:36 AM   #7

Kodakuser on DPR has posted some shots from his Z1015 if anyone interested...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29547437

Here are some more opinions on the camera:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29547437
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 2:04 PM   #8

The pictures there look good, and I'm not bothered about slow smart image processing; I'm unlikely ever to use it.

Another thing we should have noted in the spec is that it's a bit bigger and heavier than its predecessors (3 inch instead of 2.5-inch LCD screen). I think it'll still fit in my Z712's little padded bag.

Spoke 3 days ago to the chap who has it on order for me, and who has tried one, and he expects mine to be another 1-2 weeks.

Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:49 PM   #9

Congrats Alan. I hope it is the camera you've been looking for. I played with RAW for a while but for me Jpeg still rules. File sizes and time got in the way of me having fun.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 4:58 PM   #10

Hi All,

Just recieved my 1015 from Kodak. 3 days from order to delivery. got a good deal from them £199 and free delivery!! also 20% off extra battery and 4GB card. total £234.98 not bad really.It does come with a mains charger.A couple of things i don't like, Kodak quote 0.20 secs click to capture time this one takes more like 4secs. the size of the hood thread is not quoted anywhere,Kodak said it was 45.5 what rubbish it's more like 55. I won't mention the instruction manual !! it's so pathetic not even the camera spec, one good point about the manual is you can learn 10 languages. I think the on/off switch should have been 2mm higher. Now after that ouiburst the few pictures i've taken are stunning my 740 was good these are breath taking and low light seems really good. more later

John
mgoldcar is offline   Reply With Quote