Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:40 PM   #1

My son in law has a hunting buddy who wants to sell his Z712. My daughter asked me if I was interested, and I said yes. He's going to let me try the camera out for a few days. My daughter's bringing it down tomorrow.

I have a C713. Can I use the SD card from it in the 712, and would it have to be formatted?

I have a bunch of Energizer Lithium batteries. Could I use those temporarily, just until I decide to keep the camera. I live past the boonies, so the lithiums are all I have on short notice.

Also, do you all have any tips you could share? Do you have any favorite settings that you tend to use more than others. This is probably the most advanced camera I've used, and I don't know where to start.

Lana

reddogsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:16 AM   #2

reddogsrule wrote:
Quote:
...I have a C713. Can I use the SD card from it in the 712, and would it have to be formatted?...
1. Yes.

2. Try it & see. But why not format it in the camera anyway. It's very quick.

reddogsrule wrote:
Quote:
...I have a bunch of Energizer Lithium batteries. Could I use those temporarily, just until I decide to keep the camera. I live past the boonies, so the lithiums are all I have on short notice...
Yes, pairs of primary, throwawaylithium AA cells are among Kodak's recommendations, as are primary lithium CR-V3 throwaway batteries. Rechargeable Li-ion are best. Ni-MH rechargeables are not up to the job, and will fail rapidly.

I use aperture priority ('A') mode most of the time. I adjust the exposure by eye in the electronic viewfinder, twiddling the EV value to give reasonable shadow detail, highlights not burnt out. (Half-press and release the shutter release button to cause the metering & focus to operate first.)

On my specimen I find I often use -0.3EV, which I leave set on power-down, and therefore by default when I power up. I have 'quickview' switched on. If the image instantly displayed after I shoot isn't what I expect, I try again with different settings, or switch to bracketed exposures. This way I do what used to take me ages in the darkroom or at the computer before I take theshot.To a good approximation, it's 'what you see is what you get', and not 'what you see is what you might get if you and the camera agree about settings', as in dSLRs.

Beware of vignetting (dark corners) at full telephoto zoom. The lens is a bit soft at full zoom, but zooming out a bit improves things enormously.

I generally use 'P' mode for flash shots. This is the only bit of automation I use routinely. Note that this is a minority view!

Have fun, & good luck! I love mine.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:25 PM   #3

Thank you for your help, AlanT. I was actually your photos that made me want one of these cameras.

I have the camera, and it's a keeper. I hope I don't mess this up. I'm going to attempt posting a photo. This is Brandy, my Irish Setter. She'll be 12 on the 29th of this month. My daughter took this, so I don't know what the settings were. I think it was probably Smart Scene. It's straight from the camera, just resized.

Lana
Attached Images

reddogsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:24 PM   #4

Beautiful dog and great photo Lana. I, like Alan use "A" priority most of the time. In a tight for time spot I just turn the auto mode one and go with it. Have fun ...and I know you will.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote