Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:34 PM   #1

Every other month someone, usually a jewelry designer/craftsman ask what kind of camera do they need for marketing their creations on the web. I really haven't had the audacity to say "It doesn't matter, anything3 yrs old or newer and more than $120." because I don't really shoot jewelry myself. The real issue is lighting. Camera - Z612. Full image. Jewelryusing dichroic glass.
Attached Images

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:35 PM   #2

Same, cropped
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:39 PM   #3

Lighting, open shade. This could also be done with a homemade tent and hardware store light sources. In this case the photo may show a little more detail than creator wanted as a construction anomaly is apparent.
Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2008, 7:39 AM   #4

Hello AC :!:

Any camera with macro shooting mode will do. If the final images are for on line use a inexpensive camera will do (inexpensive does not mean poor qualit. I refer to older cameras will lower MP as opposed to the higher MP cameras being marketed now. A used 2mp camera with macro is good for this.)

You may want to make or buy some tent lighting geat and some tungsten or florescent lighting gear too.

Try going to:

www.tabletopstudio.com

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:11 AM   #5

Bill:

Thanks for your comments - a concise restatement. For web usage even a 2MP photo will have to be resized downward. My son's C533 would have done just as nice a job in this case as my Z612.

Another source for lighting/tents on the cheap is http://www.diyphotography.net/.

A. C.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:01 PM   #6

I went on E-Bay and bought a cube like ten with several background to use within as opposed to the natural white. It came with 2 table top stands with bullet reflectors containing flourescent light and a table top mono pod with a 3 sided square base. All new in a cordura valise like case for under $90.00.:O

Prices vary according to how big/small a cube/tent you select.

Digital regards,

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 7:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2468 View Post
Any camera with macro shooting mode will do. If the final images are for on line use a inexpensive camera will do (inexpensive does not mean poor qualit. I refer to older cameras will lower MP as opposed to the higher MP cameras being marketed now. A used 2mp camera with macro is good for this.)|
Well said! For the last 'Biweekly shootout' here on Steve's I resurrected my son's abandoned Sanyo S4 4Mpix camera from 2005, and discovered it to be the best macro camera I have, focusing down to 20mm (0.78in).

I posted some shots from it, including this of a 15mm (0.59in) object...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/biweekly-shoot-out/154768-macro-closeup-shop-early-christmas.html

'a.c.', I couldn't beat that easily with my Z712 or Z1012, though if I could have been bothered with a tripod, I expect I could have, through heavy cropping from further away, as you have well demonstrated with your Z612, above.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 10:11 AM   #8

Alan

I think the Z612/712/1012 will produce good results for web advertising or tri-fold brochures for objects down to 25mm/1". All three cameras will need some cropping to produce these results. These cameras can do this when zoomed to ~70-100mm equiv. focal length which allows a good stand off distance which provides more freedom with lighting. The 5MP Kodak C533 will produce at least equal result as it's lens will focus a bit closer which reduces the cropping requirement. The only Kodak I'm aware of that will equal or exceed the 15mm (.59") capability of your son's Sanyo is the new Z980 which will do so without cropping.

A. C.
Old May 22, 2009, 9:52 AM   #9

[QUOTE=ac.smith;920879]...a construction anomaly is apparent./QUOTE]

Thanks, Alan, for that useful phrase, which I shall mentally file and use euphemistically to describe my own mistakes in a wide range of different fields!

There seems to have been one in the world's financial system, too.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 1:04 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Alan T;970952]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
...a construction anomaly is apparent./QUOTE]

Thanks, Alan, for that useful phrase, which I shall mentally file and use euphemistically to describe my own mistakes in a wide range of different fields!

There seems to have been one in the world's financial system, too.
LOL

I think anomaly, suitably modified is a wonderful word:

Financial anomaly > "The stock market crashed" or "My retirement fund tanked"
Medical anomaly > "We don't have clue why you're sick" or "Very few have a reaction like you did"
Enforcement anomaly > "Police don't have a clue who did it" "Watchman was asleep"
Operational anomaly (very versatile) > "I overslept", "Forgot to pick up the milk", Missed my flight"

Last edited by ac.smith; May 22, 2009 at 1:20 PM.