Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:08 PM   #11

geez ... maybe that ground is actually running downhill to the left t ... will look into this ...
elderberryking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:48 PM   #12

I wasn't going to mention it, but like above in addition to the tilt the vewifinder is also blurry.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:35 PM   #13

Tomorrow I'm going to take some more shots with the camera sitting on a level bench, rather than hand-holding it ... ttyl
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:29 PM   #14

Take a level along. The bench may not be level. Turn grid lines on.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:52 AM   #15

Well well, big surprise ...

Attached are two photos; a hand-held one of trees andanother one takenfrom a fixed porch railing, with the camera resting on the rail. The rail, vertical pole, and link fence in the photo were checked with a level and found to be very close to true.

The hand-held tree pic leans quite a bit to the left, but the backyard photo of the vertical pole and link fencelook level to me.

This makes me wonder why all the hand held pics I get from this camera lean left, whereas all the hand held pics I get from a Nikon D-50 are almost always level and only rarely do I have to straighten one.

Possibly there is something in the shape of the camera body that causes it to be held crooked? I don't know, but here are the pics.
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:53 AM   #16

Here's the photo taken from level porch railing ...
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:59 PM   #17

elderberryking wrote:
Quote:
Well well, big surprise ...
This makes me wonder why all the hand held pics I get from this camera lean left, whereas all the hand held pics I get from a Nikon D-50 are almost always level and only rarely do I have to straighten one.

Possibly there is something in the shape of the camera body that causes it to be held crooked? I don't know, but here are the pics.
Now I think you've nailed it. The Z*12s, as with virtually all super-zooms has the lens way to left (from the shooters perspective) of the body. Looking at it another way the mass of the lens is a long way, relatively, from the grip.

Confession time, this happen to me as well with my Z612 which was why I was fairly certain there was nothing wrong with your camera. This is also why I've turned the grid lines on and left them on. I find, even when I'm not paying attention to the grind lines it reduces the tilt to about half the typical value without the grid lines. If I pay attention to the grid line then tilt is eliminated.

Makes the argument that good ergonomics include symmetry of the camera body about the lens or at least some kind of "natural" overhang to the left.

A. C.

Old Nov 1, 2008, 7:19 PM   #18

Thanks for the feedback, A.C. I bought the camera for my sister, who is taking her once-in-a-lifetime vacation to Ireland on Monday, and needed to get thisproblem solved.She was surprised to hear the camerais OK,and is checked out now on lining up the grid lines. BTW, I was starting to think you might know something the rest of us didn't when you lobbied for using a level and turning on grid lines ...
Old Nov 2, 2008, 2:31 PM   #19

Horsepucky on the ergonomics.I have used a variety of point and shoot zooms and have never had this problem. On the 1015 IS, I have turned on the gridlines and viewed against the straight edge ocean horizon. The pictures ARE TILTED, probably because of faulty chip alignment. I managed to get a Panasonic FZ8 here in New Zealand and the view and the pictures do not tilt. I KNOW A TILT PROBLEM WHEN I SEE IT.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 4:11 PM   #20

pboerger wrote:
Quote:
Horsepucky on the ergonomics.I have used a variety of point and shoot zooms and have never had this problem. On the 1015 IS, I have turned on the gridlines and viewed against the straight edge ocean horizon. The pictures ARE TILTED, probably because of faulty chip alignment. I managed to get a Panasonic FZ8 here in New Zealand and the view and the pictures do not tilt. I KNOW A TILT PROBLEM WHEN I SEE IT.
You should be able to get warranty repair/replacement.I think there's ample evidence your problem is not a common problem although tilted pictures are a common problem.

A. C.