Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 22, 2008, 8:24 PM   #1

Cameras were stolen so got the 1015 IS on the way to a vacation in New Zealand. Found that the EVFs, both eye and back screen, show a tilted view. Anyone experienced this or know how to fix it? Also, am I missing a diopter adjustment that doesn't seem to exist? Not happy. Thanks.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:58 PM   #2

I hope somebody has a clue. Below is the kind of tilt the camera creates and the fix. I am stuck with this camera in New Zealand. Thanks ahead of time.
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:59 PM   #3

The fix.
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2008, 3:50 PM   #4

No comments? I'm not making this up folks. I am tilting the camera in my hand to get the correct picture. What a pain in the butt. Kodak is going to get a serious piece of my mind when I get home.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 8:55 PM   #5

pboerger wrote:
Quote:
No comments? I'm not making this up folks. I am tilting the camera in my hand to get the correct picture. What a pain in the butt. Kodak is going to get a serious piece of my mind when I get home.
You could turn the grid lines on and then take a picture(s) of the LCD and show us both that pic and the 1015s pic. Then we might believe.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:05 PM   #6

I hope you get it sorted out easily, preferably with a new specimen of the machine.

When in a hurry I often manage to get the same fault as this without anything being wrong with the camera at all. I try to compose in the camera as far as possible, and it's infuriating when I find I have to rotate and crop a frame due to carelessness. In extreme cases I have to clone bits in around the edges of an image to recreate the shot I intended.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 1:49 PM   #7

Contacted Kodak and they suggested the new firmware. It did not solve the problem. They are now saying to send the camera in for repair.I did turn on the gridlines and it helps with turning the camera to get a straight shot. I don't have another camera with me to prove the problem.Believe it folks, this camera is flawed.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:18 AM   #8

I have the same tilted photos problem too. I bought mine direct from Kodak because they had not yet released them to Amazon, etc, and so got one of the first 1015is cameras. It turned out fairly crappy work and looking thru the viewfinder is impossible, it's so blurry. And the LCD window is opague when out and about in the sun, even when turned up to brightest level.

But I didn't notice the tilted pics at that time. I was about to send it back to Kodak but discovered they had new firmware available and so installed that and it improved photo quality somewhat, the viewfinder is still blurry, and the photos all tilt down on the left. Can't say if the firmware caused that or not, but probably not if your's tilted before installing firmware.

Another complaint is that the camera was advertised to shoot in RAW, and in fact it does that, but right now Photoshop does not recognize this camera's RAW format (that I can tell) and so I had to use the Kodak software, which tries to take over your life, and it did do a nice job of enhancing RAW files but finished up by deciding that I wanted a fairly small photo (I think it was 700 pixel wide or something like that) whereas in fact I wanted a 1240 wide photo.

I'll attach a sample pic that shows the tilt ... the camera was held perfectly level and this is what I got. Cheers ... David

Attached Images

elderberryking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:28 AM   #9
Administrator

pboerger wrote:
Quote:
Cameras were stolen so got the 1015 IS on the way to a vacation in New Zealand. Found that the EVFs, both eye and back screen, show a tilted view. Anyone experienced this or know how to fix it? Also, am I missing a diopter adjustment that doesn't seem to exist? Not happy. Thanks.
If you're sure the camera is level, and you're seeing a tilted view in the EVF and LCD, then the camera's Imaging Sensor is probably not mounted or aligned properly.

The EVF and LCD get the image from the camera's main imaging sensor (which is also capturing the image for the photos you take). So, if the main sensor is tilted, you'll get tilted images.

Of course, you could rotate the camera until you get a level image in the viewfinder or LCD to compensate. But, I'd probably send it in for repair.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 1:03 PM   #10

elderberryking wrote:
Quote:
I'll attach a sample pic that shows the tilt ... the camera was held perfectly level and this is what I got. Cheers ... David

That's interesting.I used a photo editor to level the "horizon" (4[suP]o [/suP]right rotate) and now the trees are leaning to the right.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote