Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 9, 2008, 6:37 AM   #11

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Yes, in the UK consumer organisations regard extended warranties on such goods as an expensive & profitable way to sell us not very good insurance. And we all know now where dodgy bits of the insurance industry can get us, don't we?
When I bought my Pentax DSLR in Currys I took out an extended warranty. Twice I 've had to send the camera away for warranty repairs and it was collected from my home in special packaging sent by mail. On both occasions the camera was returned in one week looking and working immaculately. I wonder what the two repairs would have cost me--at least £200? The 3-year extended warranty cost me £64 so I'm 'quids in' on this one! :-)

I have no connection with Currys other than being a very satisfied customer. And Alan, you are very fortunate to have such a good photographic emporium in your town as Swansea has only Jessops.

Regards,

Alma R.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:51 AM   #12

Almar wrote:
Quote:
.....I took out an extended warranty. Twice I 've had to send the camera away for warranty repairs ....The 3-year extended warranty cost me £64 so I'm 'quids in' on this one!
I'm a satisfied long-term fan of Curry's too, on other electrical goods, and I'm pleased to hear your good experience.

But your Pentax was a lot more valuable than these Kodaks. Repair costs would be similar, so perhaps warranty cost would be similar.That would be a large fraction of the price of these cameras. I'm bit shocked that your Pentax has failed twice! I sold my two film SLRs (Zenit and Olympus) last year after 30 and 20 years respectively and both still worked. The OM-10 had one fault half-way through its life (its stop-down solenoid), fixed very cheaply.

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've found modern electrical and electronic equipment to be very reliable. I was brought up in S.Wales, so I'mdismayed to hear that a place the size of Swansea has only Jessops, who are good in parts.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:20 PM   #13

Alan, I should have mentioned that the first repair was to correct the camera's sudden appetite for batteries which hunger manifested itself about three months out of Pentax's warranty. A fresh set of NiMH-es would be 'flat' after about four hours in the camera with it switched off. The second repair was a replacement colour LCD screen protector which I accidentally cracked due to sheer carelessness and Curry's extended warranty covers accidental damage.

I do have a Kodak DX6490 which I use when I've no need for operational speed. I find very little difference in the colour and resolution of the two cameras and view my pictures on my CRT monitor. I do have a printer which is a cheap Lexmark Z25 but can never make a print to look anything like I see on the screen. One day, I might research the Kodak printer that doesn't use ink, as such, but a colour ribbon and 6 X 4 inch prints would be fine for my purposes. I'm only a photographic dabbler anyway and I'm particularly fond of reading these forums and Steve's camera tests. Indeed, all I know about digital photography has been learned here especially from you. So do keep well, Allan!

Regards, Alma R.

Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:26 AM   #14

Can you dirrect me to a forum that deals with just settings on the camera? ( if one exists) Thanks
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:03 AM   #15

Do you mean "what are the differences in possible settings between the Z1015 and Z1012"?

If you just step back though the last couple of months' posts right here in this Kodak forum you'll see everything we've had to say. It's not entirely clear exactly what the differences are. One or two people round here have both cameras, and clearly they are best placed to answer any questions you post here.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:09 AM   #16

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Do you mean "what are the differences in possible settings between the Z1015 and Z1012"?

If you just step back though the last couple of months' posts right here in this Kodak forum you'll see everything we've had to say. It's not entirely clear exactly what the differences are. One or two people round here have both cameras, and clearly they are best placed to answer any questions you post here.
Im sorry , I meant on all cameras. I want to learn more on how to set the different settings on my camera. Dont want to count on the auto mode all the time. Sorry for the mix up. Have a great day
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:21 AM   #17

In that case, I'd recommend you buy a good basic photography manual from your local bookstore. There'll be plenty on the shelves. If you ask for a reading list in the 'General Questions and Answers forum', you'll get lots of advice, and perhaps some recommended websites. As I learnt my photography about 48 years ago, I'm not very up-to-date on good sources, myself.

Something that's much easier now with digital cameras than it ever was is learning by trial and error. If your camera has things like aperture priority ('A') shutter priority ('S'), and manual ('M')settings, try altering them and see what happens. It costs nothing to experiment with digital images viewed on a computer. Try turning the exposure value (EV) up and down on the same subject, and see what happens, and see whether you agree with the camera's auto settings. I disagree with them so often, myself, that I hardly use them, except for flash photos.

A thorough read of the camera manual is essential. With many models, you have to search on the manufacturer's website to find a user guide that's good for anything but learning foreign languages.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:15 AM   #18

thanks Allan, Ill do that.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:16 AM   #19

Hi,

I'm reading a little big difference between this two model: the z1012 have Chip KODAK Color Science; the z1015 haven't it.
It's very strange, but the Kodak site don't mentione it :O

z1012
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

z1015
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

is this another feature that make z1012 more usable and 'best' vs z1015 ?

KodakZUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:33 AM   #20

KodakZUser wrote:
Quote:
...the z1012 have Chip KODAK Color Science; the z1015 haven't it....
Good work! Excellent research, but are we sure that "Colour Science" (Z1012) isn't just another marketing name for "Perfect Touch Technology" (Z1015)? I don't generally use either, myself, and stick to plain PASM photography and post-processing when necessary.

I suspect both of these may refer largely to fully automatic 'scene modes', but I have no way of knowing.

A long time ago (nearly two years!) we used to have a Kodak representative calling in here, now & then, in the Kodak forum, to tell us what was going on. Those were the days!