Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:59 PM   #21

Elwyn-

We seem to have very different feeling about the Kodak Z-1012. To my thinking the Z-1012 has been a wonderful camera and a great improvement over the Kodak P-850.

The Z-1012 has faithfullyrecorded our vacations, the plays and musicals that the grand chilren are in, and of course family scenes at Holiday time like Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I sincerely believe that is what is was designed to.

I think that you are really ready for a consumer level DSLR camera and have some unrealistic expectations for the Z-1012. That is really not fair. When you have much greater demands, such as you have, you have to very realistically expect to have to move further upward on the digital camera food chain.

Elwyn, here is the long and the short of it, the Z-1012is a $(US) 230.00 camera. What you desire photographically requires a $(US) 500.00+ consumer level DSLR camera. I would suggest that you seriously consider the Canon XS (also known as the EOS 1000 camera), what you want is well beyond the Kodak Z-1012. Its time to be REAL, Elwyn!

Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:59 PM   #22

Elwyn-

We seem to have very different feeling about the Kodak Z-1012. To my thinking the Z-1012 has been a wonderful camera and a great improvement over the Kodak P-850.

The Z-1012 has faithfullyrecorded our vacations, the plays and musicals that the grand chilren are in, and of course family scenes at Holiday time like Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I sincerely believe that is what is was designed to.

I think that you are really ready for a consumer level DSLR camera and have some unrealistic expectations for the Z-1012. That is really not fair. When you have much greater demands, such as you have, you have to very realistically expect to have to move further upward on the digital camera food chain.

Elwyn, here is the long and the short of it, the Z-1012is a $(US) 230.00 camera. What you desire photographically requires a $(US) 500.00+ consumer level DSLR camera. I would suggest that you seriously consider the Canon XS (also known as the EOS 1000 camera), what you want is well beyond the Kodak Z-1012. Its time to be REAL, Elwyn!

Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:00 PM   #23

Elwyn-

Elwyn, here is the long and the short of it, the Z-1012is a $(US) 230.00 family camera. What you desire photographically requires a $(US) 500.00+ consumer level DSLR camera. I would suggest that you seriously consider the Canon XS (also known as the EOS 1000 camera), what you want is well beyond the Kodak Z-1012. Its time to be REAL, Elwyn!

Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:04 PM   #24

Elwyn-

Elwyn, here is the long and the short of it, the Z-1012is a $(US) 230.00 family camera. What you desire photographically requires a $(US) 500.00+ consumer level DSLR camera. I would suggest that you seriously consider the Canon XS (also known as the EOS 1000 camera), what you want is well beyond the Kodak Z-1012. Its time to be REAL, Elwyn!

Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:58 PM   #25

Hello, I have a Z712IS

¿Z1012iS is better than Z712IS?

Is it worth the change?

thank you very much

Gc
Giancarlo_HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 12:48 AM   #26

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Its time to be REAL, Elwyn!

Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce
I'm keeping it real enough to realize another camera isn't in the budget anytime soon.
Elwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 6:28 AM   #27

Giancarlo_HG wrote:
Quote:
Hello, I have a Z712IS .¿Z1012iS is better than Z712IS? Is it worth the change? ...
They are extremely similar. The 1012 is just a few millimetres larger. The menu system is somewhat more complicated for some features, for exampleit takes more steps to set bracketed exposures than on the Z712.

Image quality is better, because of the new 10Mpix sensor. Croppingwill give better results, if it proves necessary. Lens performance is very similar; it's still quite soft at full zoom.

High ISO performance is very much better on the Z1012. I hardly ever used it on the Z712, because of poorer image quality. I'm now using manually-set higher ISO values frequently on the Z1012.

There are many more complicated image processing options within the automatic scene settings, but I hardly ever use them. There's generally no control over exposure in those modes - it's too automatic for my taste.

I bought my Z1012 as a backup for the Z712, in case anything happened to it, and the price was so low (much less than I paid for the Z712). However, I am using the Z1012 all the time now, instead of the Z712, and I'm very pleased I bought it.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 2:00 AM   #28

you are a teacher

Thanks for your comment

The Z1012 is running out in stores:roll:
Giancarlo_HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:40 AM   #29

Hi all, I have another questation about this digicams. Can I review foto without on -off camera ? After I touch on-off touch the lens cover shutdown. I want only review foto :-(
FalconM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:38 AM   #30

FalconM wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, I have another questation about this digicams. Can I review foto without on -off camera ? After I touch on-off touch the lens cover shutdown. I want only review foto :-(
Not so far as I am aware. The camera has to be switched on, and the lens extended. I have always found, on both my Z712 and Z1012, that the lens cap is easily pushed off by the lens if I'm stupid enough to switch it on with lens cap on.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote