Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 16, 2008, 4:20 PM   #1

Well my wife's DX4900 is dying. The battery door broke off and the battery keeps dropping out, is the latest problem. Since this one has lasted for going on 6 or 7 years, a new one is in order. She likes the camera and the easyshare software even more - so she wants another Kodak.

So, I am looking for another Kodak that is drop dead simple. 3x zoom is just fine, any MP is just fine - since she only takes pictures of her guinea pigs for posting on her web page (closely cropped). A good flash is needed, due to pictures in low light barns, etc. She usually does closeups. However, image stabilization would really help, and thus a requirement. Needs to be reliable. Also, most important is reduced shutter lag, as the critters move around a lot.

She saw a Z1285 IS and someone else had one of these with good comments. No specific price point (well I am cheap, so lets say hopefully under $300).

Suggestions - Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2008, 6:04 PM   #2

Be aware that the Z1285, like others in that series, has no viewfinder. If that is not a problem then models like the C875 and Z1275 are well regarded and can be had for a good price.
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:21 PM   #3

Listen to Domang, IO. He knows.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:53 AM   #4

Not a camera for me at all, but my Son in Law and Daughter bought one for the cruise they went on. They didn't want to lug the DX6490 along. That little Z1285 did a great job and they got a ton of great shots. I played with it for a week once they got back and it is a heck of a handy pocket camera. Looks like my wife gets one for Christmas because she does not like lugging the GIANT Z712is around.

[align=center](Giant to her that is)[/align]
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:57 PM   #5

You can buy a battery door off Ebay and replace it. Usually a seller will include the replacement instructions (You just have to get the tension on the spring right.) I did this for my DX6440, which is still going strong as my mother's camera.

That said, having a Z1285 myself, if she wants to do closeups and low light shots I found those two to be the weak points on it. (I guess that's why I also have a Z812 IS as a backup.) Other than that it is a pretty good bang for the buck, especially when it comes to the video.

Threnners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:20 AM   #6

Keep in mind that small cameras also have their problems as well. Its just my opinion, but I don't consider the Z-712 a GIANT camera at all. I camera one in my purse all the time.

At less than $180 right now it is an excellent buy and it is capable of some really great photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:16 PM   #7

Every item thats mechanical or electricalcan havea problems, it's not just cameras of one size or another. GIANT to her (my wife) , and thats all that matters it's not you or I in her shoes.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:03 PM   #8

I understand the priorities!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 6, 2008, 1:24 PM   #9

Interested Observer-

How are you coming along on the camera search for your wife? I noticed that OfficeMax has the Z-1085 for $(US) 119.99.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:10 AM   #10

sw2cam wrote:

Quote:
...GIANT to her (my wife) , and thats all that matters it's not you or I in her shoes.
and
mtclimber wrote:

>>...small cameras also have their problems as well...I don't consider the Z-712 a GIANT camera...one in my purse all the time.<<

I have just this problem at present, as my grown-up daughter has asked for a 'small' camera for Christmas with 'more zoom' than her current much-travelled Jenoptik one, to go everywhere with her in her handbag (purse).She wondered about a cameraphone (horrors!).

So I did some research at my favourite camera shop and produced this image of some leading contenders. On the counter were very good quality 16x11 prints from each. The leading contender is the Pentax M60 (10Mpix, good 5x zoom). This is a lot of pixels on a tiny sensor, but I saw the excellent print from it. The Rollei also has a very good lens, but is only 3X like her last camera.

My excuse for this posting is that I took it with my Z1012is, and I'll comply my Sarah Joyce's instructions and post in here about camera sizes. This is the only time I've used its fully auto 'Smart Capture' mode.It chose 1/30s, f/2.8, auto ISO, as I forgetfully had the flash turned off. The Exif data says it chose ISO160.

(More follows...)

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote