Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:07 AM   #11

I had difficulty finding a Kodak lens adapter tube, part #8379166.

In the end, I bought a Bower Lens adapter tube for Kodak Z612. This tube is 52mm at the filter end. Hence I couple the tube with a 52mm-55mm step-up ring.

These Bower tube and step-up ring combo work out to be quite a good alternative to the Kodak tube.

Last edited by dancheng; May 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:44 AM   #12

Hey bro maybe post up the part numbers and the location you bought it from. I'm sure many readers will be happy you posted.

Just a note .... the Z612-712-812-1012is all use the same adapter
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:41 AM   #13

The Bower tube has this part # BOW-AZ612K.
I bought it from BugEyeDigital.com

At focal length of 33mm (in 35mm lens equivalent) i.e the wide angle end of the focal range, the Bower tube causes severe vignetting. The lens needs to be zoomed in to 57mm (in 35mm lens equivalent) before the vignetting reduces to faint dark edges at the 4 corners of the LCD screen.
At 65mm (in 35mm lens equivalent), vignetting disappears completely.
In conclusion, the tube is not much of a use for wide angle conversion. For instance, a 0.7x WA converter coupled with 57mm focal length to reduce vignetting to the minimal gives you 39.9mm (0.7x57mm). You are better off using the lens at its native 33mm WA without the need of the tube and the WA converter.
On the contrary, tele-converter is very usable.

dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 2:16 AM   #14

I just realized there a thread just infront of the lens on the Kodak z1012 .Does anyone know why that is there ?

Is there any possibility of screwing on something there ?
dakshithaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 2:30 AM   #15

See the 14 preceding posts in this thread. Same applies to Z712, and 'a.c.' round here uses teleadapters on his Z612.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 3:20 PM   #16

dakshithaw wrote:
Quote:
I just realized there a thread just infront of the lens on the Kodak z1012 .Does anyone know why that is there ?

Is there any possibility of screwing on something there ?
Look again and you should relize thats not threaded.

Old Apr 18, 2009, 5:19 AM   #17

dakshithaw wrote:
Quote:
...infront of the lens on the Kodak z1012 ....Is there any possibility of screwing on something there ?
I believe the thread is on the inside of the fixed outermost barrel protruding from the camera body, where I can just see it, with difficulty, but only when the lens is retracted. That barrelhas "IMAGE STABILZER" engraved on the top on the Z712, and "OPTICAL IS" on the Z1012.

An extension tube long enough to accommodate the maximum length of the lens assembly itself screws into that thread, and attachments screw onto the other end of the tube.

Look at "sw2cam's'" picture above, near the top of the thread, of the camera with tube and attachment screwed on to it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:49 AM   #18

Yep the groves you see on the 'lens" itself are just that .... groves on the lens itself. The threads to mount a lens adapter are on the body of the camera inside the lens housing. Just as they are on the DX6490 ,DX7590, Z7590, Z712is, and so on and so on.
Old May 14, 2009, 2:30 AM   #19

I have just received a 49mm to 67mm adapter from an ebay shop based in China. It is made out of aluminium. It fits the front thread perfectly. The adapter is long enough so that I can screw on a 67mm UV filter or Polarizer without the lens hitting the filter. I use Hoya filters that I bought locally to guarantee the quality of the glass. Don't know if I could trust a cheap filter made in China to be of high quality.

However, it does cause a tiny amount of vignetting for a 10 megapixel (4:3) photo with no zoom. When I changed the photo size to 8.9 megapixel (3:2) there was no vignetting in the shot, still not using any zoom.

It makes a great lens protector.

It cost about US$8 inc postage to have it sent to Australia from China.

I also have a 49mm to 58mm adapter from China and it causes heaps of vignetting at no zoom and that is the reason I bought the 49mm to 67mm adapter so that I could leave it on all the time.

RG
RufusGartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 1:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusGartz View Post
I have just received a 49mm to 67mm adapter from an ebay shop based in China....
Hello everyone. My first post here. Rufus, would you mind giving a link or store name for this adapter? Thanks!
grywolf627 is offline   Reply With Quote