Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:31 PM   #1

I don't believe that I have seen or heard from anyone shooting with the new Kodak Z-1015. AlanT considered the Z-1015, and then decided upon the Z-1012. We would love to hear from any Z-1015 users. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:26 AM   #2

I have one and it's a pretty good camera. IQ is pretty good and RAW is available in scene modes (well I've only used the High ISO mode), not just in PASM. The latest firmware update pretty much corrects the slow processing times in Auto by making to subcatagories, Smart Capture and Smart Scene, with Smart Capture being the slowest of the two because it applies the Perfect Touch Processing on every shot. High ISO modes is very good in low light situations and the ability to use RAW in this mode gives increased flexability when PP'ing and dealing with noise. I taken pretty useable JPeg @ ISO 1600 though, noise is there but very manageable.

I just have a problem with the Not Fully Manual PASM mode!
It's a shame how Kodak has handicapped a pretty good camera. Also no threaded lens or housing so NO ADAPTERS OR FILTERS can be used!

All-in-all its a good camera with a good video mode and if Kodak would've made the PASM mode fully manual and added lens threads it would've been a great camera IMHO.

This one shot in RAW using the High ISO modethen converted and resized no other PP done.
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:24 PM   #3

sredd-

Thanks for responding to my thread. When the Z-1015 was introduced there was a lot of excitment and then everything seemed to go very quiet. I very rarely see the Z-1015 even mentioned much anymore.

I did notice that www.kodak.com was really pushing the Z1015 a good bit. When you go to information on the Z1012 camera there is a teaser there saying something like, "...now if you want a better camera, here is a link right to the Z-1015 camera..."

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:24 PM   #4

Well Folks-

I decided to take the BIG plunge. Today (17 December) I ordered the Z-1015. Please wish me luck. I promise a full report as soon as I receive the Z-1015 some time next week.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:41 AM   #5

I really don't consider the 1015 better than the 1012. I have both. But the 1015 does have RAW capabilities and the W/A lens and that's about it. The 1012 is way more versatile in PASM mode. IfKodak had made the 1015 with all of the 1012 features plus RAW, the W/A lens and a few more features then we would have something worth talking about.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:13 AM   #6

sredd-

Thanks for the update. I don't really have any super expectations, I mainly was after a companion to the Z-1012 with W/A and RAW. BTW what RAW software are you using?

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:42 PM   #7

PSE 6 with Camera RAW's latest update..
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:23 PM   #8

Well Folks-

The new Z-1015 camera just arrived at 5:15pm. I have had about 10 minutes to work with the camera. So these comments represent only first impressions only. I could swing right into action as I had a KLIC-8000 battery charged and ready to go, and I received a 2mb Kodak SD Card with the new camera.

The LCD screen is larger in size but of far less quality (a much fewer pixel count)than the LCD screen on the Z-1012. The 28mm (in 35mm terms is nice), the flash is more powerful than I expected. Perhaps it is a bit too soon to state this, but, overall, the Z-1012 camera is agood dealeasier to work with when taking photos than the Z-1015 camera.

More later, I promise!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 24, 2008, 8:04 PM   #9

Well thus far, the Kodak Z-1015 is surely not going to replace my Z-1012 camera. My opinion at this point is that the Z-1015 is OK, but barely. Here is a photo sample.
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2008, 10:01 PM   #10

I bought a Z1015 for my birthday mainly because of the RAW feature and just took it on my trip to the Carribean. I'm not a good enough photographer (one reason I bought a consumer camera and not a DSLR) to really describe the impact of all the different settings, but I took most of my photos in RAW format and after playing around with the settings found the High ISO and Action settings worked pretty well for most shots. I did find a lot of artifacts when I tried to tweak the RAW photos in PS CS3, but it seemed like it takes fairly good photos. That being said - my dad has the Z1012 and I think it's a much better built camera (lacking RAW) and I think Kodak was stupid to cripple the camera that is supposed to be a better camera with a larger (but same pixel count) LCD, and currently no ability to add filters to the camera. If it's supposed to be their frontline product, it's lacking.
For a consumer camera, if you're not interested in RAW format (or even if you are) I think it takes fairly good pictures, but you might be better set paying $50 less for a Z1012, although the Z1015 comes with a rechargable battery and I don't think the Z1012 does. I'll be happy to post examples, but it's late on Christmas, so I'll get back to you.
dan_tm44 is offline   Reply With Quote