Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:21 PM   #1

Consumer Reports Magazine just voted the Kodak Z-1012 Camera as the Best Low Light Level Camera of the Year.

Well, Folks-

It really is true. I immediately did a test shot at ISO 1600, and to tell you the truth, I was very impressed. Even at 100% that image looks pretty darned good. Hooray Kodak!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:07 AM   #2

By coincidence, Sarah Joyce, a few hours before you posted this message, I was playing around with my Z1012 and our advent candle, with results coming to this forum right soon now.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:19 PM   #3

Hi Alan-

I for one was certainly surprised. It was amazing, and something that just goes flat against what I always talk about in my classes. Three cheers for Kodak!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:27 PM   #4

Here is another "High ISO" Mode photo. I have to say that I am impressed. I hope that the Z-1015 has the very same "High ISO" Mode capabilities.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:26 AM   #5

The fact that this good 'High ISO' performance is a breakthrough for ordinary mortal photographers, like most of us round here, is underlined in my daily newspaper "The Guardian" today.

They have a wonderful photographic centrespread every single day in the main newspaper. But in the daily 'Sport' section, which I read only in case there's something I think might interest my 17yr-old son, they have today a selection of their chief photographer's 'best pictures' of the year.

They're of more than usual interest, because in his gallery of sports pictures at...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gall...ins?lightbox=1

...he helpfully attaches to each image its aperture, shutter speed and ISO. I note that only two are at what I regard as fairly ordinary ISO, and all the rest are what we round here would call high ISO (over 400),usually ISO1000 and more.

So thanks, Kodak, for moving my boundaries a little towards those of the star professionals!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:43 PM   #6

Hi Alan-

Thanks for the wonderful link to The Guardian. Yes, I agree, it is a very pleasant circumstance to have Kodak produce a camera that addresses real world photo taking.

As you are probably aware, I do a lot of posting in the "What Camera Shall I Buy" portion of the Forum. It is there, like never before, that we are seeing many more requests for cameras that can effective use higher ISO settings without looking terrible. The classic request is that they want to take photos indoors after dark without the use of flash under normal room lighting.

Well, for the first time, the Kodak Z-1012, can do that exact thing.

Sarah Joyce