Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:03 AM   #1

Shortly after sunrise, I love to watch from our NW-facing windows the sunlight creep towards us across the Dee Valley from the distant shoreline, as the sun rises above the hill behind me to the south.

The factories near Flint, over 15 miles away, are illuminated first, and then just for a few minutes, about 6 miles away, the tower of Eaton Hall, (left of centre). (I only realised this by accident one morning, when I first got a 12x superzoom and spotted the tower through the viewfinder!)

Eaton Hall isthe family seat of the Duke of Westminster, one of England's wealthiest men (owns much of central London). We also have a superstore magnate as a neighbour, but the rest of us are many orders of magnitude more modest in means.

Yesterday morning the effect was strikingly good, so I had another shot. As this is outside our kitchen window early on a cold December morning, in nightclothes plus dressing gown, there's no messing about with tripods or other support. Anyway, the tripod's not tall enough to see over the hedge. So it's hand-held and camera shake is a problem. This shot (full frame, resized, slightly sharpened for the forum) is at...

Date taken: 21 December 2008 09:14:40
Exposure program: Aperture priority
Exposure mode: Manual
Exposure bias [EV]: -0.33
35mm focal length [mm]: 396
ISO value: 200
Shutter speed [s]: 1/645
Aperture: F4.8
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:16 AM   #2

The point of this shot is to illustrate that higher ISO isn't just useful for dim lighting conditions or sports...

22 seconds earlier I'd taken my first attempt, and realised from the 'quickview' that I'd possibly shaken a bit, and might have defeated the image stabiliser, so I quickly turned up the ISO from 100 to 200 on the Z1012 (in seconds using its thumbwheel selector), instantly giving half the exposure time, and a better job.

Below are 1:1, pixel for pixel, clips from the two shots. The left hand shot is identical in exif, except for for 1/323s instead of 1/645s.

In the sky area you can easily see the additional noise produced by the doubling in sensitivity. Intriguingly, the sky is rendered quite a different colour. I suppose it's possible the lighting changed in the intervening 22 seconds, but a seagull appearing as a dot on the right of one shot and the left of another seems similarly illuminated.

This ISO experiment, albeit incidental, is a follow-on to my higher-iso Advent candle shots posted here 5 days ago, which seem to have escaped notice in the Christmas hurly-burly.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:21 PM   #3

It does appear that you had some camera shake on the the first photo as you seem to have picked up detail even though the noise is increased. Good trade-off in my opinion.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote