Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 25, 2008, 10:42 PM   #1

Here's the second picture. Any suggestions you all have will be welcome.

Lana

Attached Images

reddogsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:12 PM   #2

Same as the first, your ISO was 100 and shutter speed was 1/2 sec. In like conditions raise the ISO to at least 400 which will permit a shutter speed of 1/8 sec. Even at 1/8 sec. your subjects will have to be perfectly still.

You don't have to start another thread to post another photo in the same series. Just click Reply on your first post and attach the second photo to the reply.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:19 PM   #3

reddogsrule-

Yes indeed! That is a very good, traditionally posed photo. Perhaps it recorded the event, the date, as in Christmas, or perhaps the people within the photo. It would look a great deal better with some post processing. You can see my take on it by viewing the attached photo. If this was a Christmas gift, you did well, excepting for the needed post processing.

Happy New Year to you reddogsrule and welcome to our Forum. I think that you will like your photo a whole lot more after a bit of pp'ing

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 6:15 PM   #4

You could have done Sarah Joyce's photoshopping before you took the picture if you'd half-pressed the shutter release on the Z712, and let it go again (to force the camera to decide on its idea of the correct exposure), and then turned up the EV (exposure value) in any of the P, A, S modes, to make the picture's brightness look right.

If you have' quickview' turned on, you get to see what your shot looked like a second or two after taking it. If it's too dark or too light, turn the EV up or down. It's dead easy using the thumbwheel control.

This facility has revolutionised my photography, first on my Z712, and now on my Z1012. I am delighted to see thatthe same facility is present on the Rollei 'XS10Intouch' that I bought my daughter for Christmas. It has a touchscreen, and if you don't like in the 'instant replay' what you just took , you just tap the' EV' icon, turn it up or down, and take another shot, until you get it right.

If you learn just a little bit about settings from folk like Sarah Joyce ('mtclimber'), you'll easily outthink the auto modes on any camera yet invented.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 7:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the nice compliment, Alan.

Alan wrote several important things in his post that bear repeating. Always check the LCD to see how the photo turned out. If it is too dark, you have everyone still in position and can easily make a quick EV correction and easily get the photo that you really wanted.

The moral of all this is simple: the better you know and understand your camera, the better your photos are going to be. By the way, the Kodak Z-712 is an excellent camera, so please don't give up on the Z-712.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:00 PM   #6

I want to thank A.C, Alan T., and Sarah Joyce for the help and advice. I'm not giving up on the Z712 by any means. It's just going to take me a while to remember all the settings. I'm sure I'll get better with it as time goes by.

I rarely take pictures of people. Most of my photos are of my dogs and cats. By the time I check the setting, my subject has moved on. And, most of them are taken indoors.

I'm attaching a photo I took a couple of weeks ago. I took it through the glass in my front door. I used the "Snow" scene mode. And it's post processed a little.

Lana

Attached Images

reddogsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:06 PM   #7

Lana-

That photo looks really good! Nice going.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:45 PM   #8

reddogsrule wrote:
Quote:
...I'm not giving up on the Z712 by any means.
My Z712 represented the biggest single breakthrough in my photography since I was a small boy in about 1960! And in a small, light machine I could carry about easily, without lugging several kilograms of glass around. I could suddenly adjust things by eye before I even pressed the button, when previously I'd have 'bracketed' the exposures, or fixed it in the darkroom later.

I should also have said that I recommend that you try using the excellent eye-level Electronic Viewfinder (rather than the LCD screen) to adjust the settings beforehand, and and also use it to review the image using instant 'quickvew' or in 'review' mode. That way your perception of image brightness etc., before and after a shot,is much less affected by the ambient light level.

I look forward to seeing more of your results, please!

I shall show your cat & dog to my family, who love such sights.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote