Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 7, 2009, 3:29 PM   #11

I have a Z712, purchased in May 2007, but I always used rechargeable CR-V3 batteries in it, until I acquired my first KLIC-8000 in November 2008, packaged with my new Z1012.

Just now I put the KLIC-8000 in the Z712 for the first time, and it worked perfectly. I conclude that both 'Chathamite's' and 'Hawkesley's' cameras are faulty, and it sounds as though the camera's contact that's intended to meet the battery's side contact is broken, bent or missing.

If you peer into the battery compartment you might be able to see what's wrong, and maybe even bend the contact very carefully to meet the battery. Also, take a look at the end of this recent thread in the 'Batteries or Power Packs' forum at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=51,

where 'grazz' and 'maumau' describe, with an illustration,a fix using a bit of wire for a problem that's the same, or very similar.

I just took another look at my own two cameras, and it occurs to me that it is perhaps possible accidentally to push thebattery into the compartment the wrong way round.The longitudinal indentation on the battery'sside is supposed to slide on to the camera's side contact.If inserted the wrong way round, there is no indentation, and the side contact would probably be damaged.

I'm not certain, because I didn't want to try it too hard! If I'm right, it's a stupid design fault on Kodak's part, arising from their stubborn use of their own proprietary design of battery. It could explain why we have two users here and two in the other forum with the same problem.

Only guessing! Good Luck,

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:07 PM   #12

Thanks, I'm going to see if my camera's still under warranty and see if I can send it in for repairs/replacement. I'll post again if Kodak finds the camera to be faulty.

Cheers!
Hawksley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:55 AM   #13

I ended up sending my camera in for repair under warrenty. It now works correctly. I did notice on the repair order they replaced the entire shutter-I'm not sure why.

I was working well (so I thought) but precision camera after keeping it for nearly 3 weeks returned it in working order. No mention of what they replaced to accept the battery but it works!
Chathamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:51 AM   #14

Excellent news! But we're the none the wiser about the root of the problem. I can't see what it could have to do with the shutter. Perhaps that's something in their faults database that costs about the same, for accounting purposes.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:25 PM   #15

Hi! Good news about my camera. I sent it in to Kodak for repairs, and they will be repairing a "burnt-out fuse on the shutter and power board" that was causing my camera to drain power very quickly. Hopefully this fuse replacement will also allow my camera to work with the Kodak KLIC-8000 batteries. My camera was no longer under warranty, but the total repair cost is going to be $77.70, including return shipping. Cheers!
Hawksley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 12:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chathamite View Post
I have read many, many threads on this site and yet I am still having a problem with the KLIC battery (I think the battery).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chathamite View Post

Fully charged the battery after 3 hours, removed it from the charger, put it in the Z12, no power. Remove the KLIC battery, reinstalled the CV3 battery, everything works fine.

Even used a couple of Nihm batteries, camera works.

What could possiblely be the problem. I have seen people have success with the battery, others not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chathamite "adventures" with Koadak z712 digital camera battery power sounds familiar.

I had similar problems with this camera kodak z712. I had it talking about it. Kodak has lost my customer thrust & credibility.

On January 2009, I bought kodak z712. I was told by the sales lady that kodak z712 works with x2 AA batteries, no special batteries, just two AA Lithium batteries that you can easily buy at the photo store. More than that, the kodak z712 manual supports that. see:

www.kodak.com/global/en/service/publications/urg00671toc.jhtml

The problem with kodak z712, is that the camera eats out these batteries in such a short time. The camera kodak z712 barely took 30 photos, with new fresh 2 AA Lithium batteries. After that the kodak z712 camera stops working.

I went to the store where I bought the kodak z712, they advised me to replace the batteries, but non of this helped. I called the store gain, they connected me with Kodak representative.

Kodak advised me to replace the batteries with GP 2700 x2 AA batteries. I did so, I had to buy a x4 AA GP 2700 rechargeable batteries + charger for ~40US$. Even that did not solve the kodak z712 camera battery power consumption. The problem became worse.

If with x2 AA Lithium batteries I could take less then 30 photos, with the x2 GP 2700 rechargeable batteries, the camera would not even turn on.
- And I did follow the first time charging & dis charging instructions.

This is a fact and the kodak z712 digital camera has a power battery problem. The kodak z712 digital camera can not be operated without kodak's special batteries -KCRV3. Kodak mis guide customers with information that the kodak z712 does operate with x2 AA batteries. But the kodak z712 DOES NOT.

I don't know if kodak tested their Z712 properly, because if they did so, they would misguide their customers with bad information in their kodak z712 manual, that the z712 operates with x2 AA batteries.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/publications/urg00671toc.jhtml

otherwise, kodak would not state in their manual that the kodak z712 works with x2 AA lithium batteries.

For God sake, I had enough with the kodak z712. Kodak called me the last time & suggested to give a present a KLIC-8000 rechargble battery with a charger, free. After reading this tread I doubt if this would solve the the kodak z712 battery power mal-consumption.

I ask Kodak to give me back my money. The sum of gp 2700 charger I purchased by kodak advice - & the 3 sd memory cards I bought. I have no usages with the the kodak z712 camera.

The Kodak z712 digital has a major fault with battery power. Kodak has lost my thrust. I feel very bad about my stupidity to buy the kodak z712. If anybody asks me, I would suggest do not think about purchasing kodak digital cameras. What a drag.

If anyone can recommend a good digital camera that has a big optical zoom & does not consume power batteries for a reasonable usage & price, please let me know.

RonnieDigiCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:23 PM   #17

Just for the record, I have since sold my Z-712, but I am continuing to use the KLIC-8000 in my new Z-1012, and I have had no problems at all with either the battery or the charger.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote