Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:28 AM   #1

I have read many, many threads on this site and yet I am still having a problem with the KLIC battery (I think the battery).

Fully charged the battery after 3 hours, removed it from the charger, put it in the Z12, no power. Remove the KLIC battery, reinstalled the CV3 battery, everything works fine.

Even used a couple of Nihm batteries, camera works.

What could possiblely be the problem. I have seen people have success with the battery, others not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chathamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:05 AM   #2

cathamite-

Are we in a one battery only situation? Is the battery a Kodak brand KLIC 8000 battery? I have never seen a Kodak KLIC 8000 fail to date, or is this a generic battery like one you might get on www.ebay.com?

What about the charger, is it a Kodak charger or again a generic charger. You are correct in assuming it could be the battery, but it could also be the charger as well. When there is no other battery to cross check with, this becomes a tough problem to solve.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:35 AM   #3

Kodak Charger and Kodak klic-8000 battery.

Got it as a set (charger and battery) charger 8500.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:45 PM   #4

Well, chargers are much less likely to fail than the batteries themselves. It sounds like it is time for a new battery then. Buy the battery first to verify that the charger still works. If the charger cannot charge the new battery, then its a bum charger, and now by replacing the charger (also on e-bay) you have a good charger and two batteries.

I have been very successfully using the generic KLIC 8000 bateries. One of those obtained on www.ebay.com would make the cost of a replacement battery a lot less for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 1:47 PM   #5

I have just recharged my Kodak KLIC-8000, on its own Kodak K8500 mains charger.

I removed it from the camera when I first saw the 'low battery' warning, and measured its terminal voltage with a DVM as 3.83V. I charged it, and fully-charged it measured 4.19V. That's about right for a fully-charged Li-ion battery.

As an extra, I have a battery test facility on my DVM, which measures the current delivered through two different sizes of standard resistor.Fully-charged it delivered 11.5mA through a 360-ohm resistor, and109mA through a 37-ohm resistor.

If you have access to, or know someone with a voltmeter, or someone with enough electrical bits and pieces to test the battery under load with a resistor, you could compare your battery's measurements with these, and if they're very different, it's probably faulty, or the charger's failing to charge it. The voltage across the pins on the charger ought to be about 4.2V, or a bit above.

You could also try putting a pair of fully-charged Ni-MH rechargeable cellsin the camera, if you have any. If the Z712 starts up OK, it would indicate the camera itself is OK. (Those cells won't last for many shots, though.)
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 1:52 PM   #6

I have used both NiMh batteries (for test purpose) and the original CRV3 battery (still good) and the camera works well. I suppose there could be a problem with the camera internally (I doubt it) that the battery would not be recognized (a rare possibility). I have returned the battery/charger combination for a new one and am now awaiting a charging to see if it the battery or the camera.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:21 PM   #7

Additional information:

Have a NEW charger and NEW KLIC-8000 battery, showing 4.12 volts with the voltmeter. Same problem-it will not work!

I am concerned there is something wrong with the camera itself, not recognizing the KLIC-8000 battery.

Any suggestions? It would be highly unlikely 2 chargers and 2 batteries would be malfuntioning!

Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:41 PM   #8

Just got off the phone with Kodak, they believe it is a malfunctioning camera. It is still under warrenty so I could get it repaired.

Another option would be to purchase a rechargeable CVR3 battery and charger to use in the camera.

I have no particular desire to send the camera away but am willing to do so.

Have others had success with Kodak repair or would I be better off just purchasing a new CVR3 rechargeable and forget the repair?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:06 PM   #9

[align=center]KODAK is great to work with for warranty .... the problems lies with PrecisionCamera. I havesent a number of itemsfor repairs and not one thing repaired by them returned in operating condition. Not joking at allnot one thing returned in operating condition. Not all items sent to them for warranty were KODAK items. The last item sent in to them came back with a note taped to the on off switch. The complaint was the AUTO ON function did not work. I knew and told them in the letter that went with the item I stated the manual on off switch worked.

Percision Camera has to be the poorest repair center I have ever delt with.
http://www.precision-camera.com

PS: If any good comes from Percision Camera is half the stuff I've sent them they reported to the manufacturerit was not repairable and a new item was sent.
[/align]
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2009, 1:07 PM   #10

Hi,

I have the same problem with KLIC 8000 batteries in my Kodak Z712 IS camera. I have 2 different authentic KLIC 8000 batteries and neither will work in my camera. I have rechargeable NiMH batteries that work, however my camera will only stay functional with them for about 15 minutes at a time.
Hawksley is offline   Reply With Quote