Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:24 AM   #11

Hi,

I have read some review from users that have problem with flash. It's turn on automatically, and if there is a light in the room, the flash doesn't work. Is it true ?
Is there the possibility to use flash in manual mode ? Or flash function is only automatic ?

I haven't the camera yet, so I cannot test it.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
KodakZUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:30 AM   #12

KodakZUser wrote:
Quote:
...read some review from users that have problem with flash...Is there the possibility to use flash in manual mode ? Or flash function is only automatic ?...I haven't the camera yet, so I cannot test it....
The flash facility is very fully featured.You can even adjust the intensity of the flash without taking the camera from your eye, using the thumbwheel controller.

This and many of your otherquestions will be answered if you read the manual, carefully. You can read it online on Kodak's website at....

http://wwwuk.kodak.com/global/en/ser...?pq-path=12687

People who haven't read the manual, or even explored the buttons on a camera very wellshouldn't write reviews about it. There's a whole page devoted to "Taking flash pictures", but in any case the symbols displayed in the viewfinder display or on the screen are standard and self-explanatory.

Even in several of the automatic modes, you can switch through the various flash modes, including 'off'. This is such an important facility that it has a whole button on the top of the camera devoted to it.

Whoever told you that it's always on clearly didn't look very hard at the camera itself, or even try out all the buttons, because that button is prominently labelled with the standard 'lightning bolt' flash symbol. I am astonished. If they claimed this was a 'review', that person was a charlatan who had hardly, if at all, examined the camera.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:47 AM   #13

Thanks Alan.

I've read the manual, and I've understood.

Now, I'm in wainting for the camera.
KodakZUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 3:03 PM   #14

Default Monual Focus Z1012

I have a question.

For me has been difficult to use the manual focus, when I try to use it, I have to have time to take the picture, if the subject move a Little bit it will be blur. Any suggestion will be really appreciated.

Armando
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 3:16 PM   #15

Armando-

I have the same experience when using the Kodak Z-1012. Therefore, I rarely ever use manual focusing.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 9:39 PM   #16

Thanks Sarah for your reply.

So whe I am in PSAM should I leve the focus to the camara?

Or use the manual for static pictures?

Armando
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 9:55 PM   #17

Frankly, Armando-

I have given up completely on manual focus, simply because I have had such good success with the Z-1012's auto focus system.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 26, 2009, 4:21 AM   #18

I like the way in which the image is enlarged during manual focus, but I'm infuriated that it pops back to normal size again after a second or two, just when you're about to get it right. For this reason I only use it when desperate, and when I can't get autofous to lock for one reason or another. The focus steps for each quick click of the button are too large as well, making it a rather coarse control.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 10:40 PM   #19

Default My $.02

I've had very good success with auto-focusing with my Z612, Most of the time I use multi-focus in conjunction with the green framing marks. I have occasionally switch to center spot focus and to distance (so-called infinity) focus when the multi-focus wouldn't work. Multi-focus works 99.5% of the time but I always monitor it's operation with the green squares. I use the half press technique most of the time.

PASM is really for exposure control and I use one of those 4 modes most of the time although I've had good results with the Auto mode. Primarily I'm either selecting a non-default ISO or locking in a specific aperture. Alan T uses the PASM modes so he can apply exposure compensation which I don't normally have to do. I have long suspected that's because of differing atmospherics. He's shooting under the skies of the British Isles and I'm shooting under Mid-West U.S. skies.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 12:44 AM   #20

KodakZUser-

I am sorry to say that your set up situation is not true at all. The Kodak Z-1012Is is a very straight forward camera, that is very, very controlable.

Perhaps when you get more experience photographically, and have more knowledge of the Kodak Z-1012 IS camera, you will really understand that it is a very good camera, capable of more that you might realize.

Sarah Joyce