Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:12 AM   #11

I hope this catches you before your next 'arduous' outing, Sarah Joyce. Have a good time!

This morning I was experimenting with the Z712 and Z1012 alongside each other, when this not-so-wildlife appeared in the garden, about three times as far away as the birdtable shots above, when I had the Z712 in my hands. This shot makes an interesting comparison with the earlier Z1012 ones.

First, full frame, resized and psp USM '30%' sharpened:-

(Aside: PSP default 'sharpen' is OK for the 10Mp Z1012, but too much for the Z712)

Model: KODAK Z712 IS ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Exposure time [s]: 1/100
Exposure program: Aperture priority
Exposure bias [EV]: 0.0
Focal length [mm]: 52.2
35mm focal length [mm]: 314
ISO value: 100
Shutter speed [s]: 1/102
Aperture: F4
Image width: 3072
Image height: 2304

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:14 AM   #12

...and here's a 100%, pixel for pixel crop from the original full frame. I think the IQ is possibly better than the Z1012. I'll do some more experiments.
Attached Images

Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:51 AM   #13

Alan-

Your comments reflect my feelings as well. My Z-712 seems a bit sharper and has better colour than the Z-1012. Well, I have the borrowed Z-1012 with for this month long contract, so we will see what results I can come up with on this trip.

We are now at the airport waiting for our flight to head for Buenos Aires.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:17 PM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
...My Z-712 seems a bit sharper and has better colour than the Z-1012....
After spending all afternoon with the cameras alongside each other, pointing out of the windows, and taking dozens of shots, that's exactly the conclusion at which I'vearrived (in dull weather).

I've been upsizing the Z712 images in PaintShopPro to the pixel size of the Z1012, and putting them alongside each other at 1:1 in a full screen window.

Comparison is complicated by the fact that the 1012 is consistently lighter than the 712 by a bit less than 0.3EV, so the tones aren't as similar as I'd like. It's likely the better colour and exposure would be a matter of taste.

I notice that many cameras produce lighter images than used to be fashionable. I think the manufacturers may be catering for the bright highlights of sunshine holidays, which would otherwise tend to stop the camera down too much.

In bright conditions I generally start with -0.3EV on both cameras, but sometimes it's more on the Z1012.I don't do that on the Z712 when it's dull.

I second a.c.'s request. Bring us back lots of pictures, please! (If I haven't missed your flight).