Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1

I tested a Z1012 at a store and after 3 shots, it "froze" up while it transferred pictures. It did not have a memory card in it, but then I read something about the 3 shots and buffering in Steve's review. However, I have seen no other mention of this issue. I need a camera that is fast shot-to-shot so I can actually catch my 3 year old in action. Freezing to process pictures is unacceptable.

Is this buffering lag an issue? Can it be fixed? After testing in the store I wrote off the Kodak, but I noticed that people in the forums recommend it for my situation, so what gives?!

Thanks!

CynthiaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:52 AM   #2

The slow transfer you mention is a consequence of the larger 10Mpix file size. This is best seen in the 'burst' shutter mode, where the Z1012 stores either the first three or the last three ('first burst' or last burst') while you shoot continuously with the button depressed.

On the earlier Z712 model (which I also own), it was the first six or the last six images. I have used these modes successfully to capture my son skimming stones.

See http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=595305&forum_id=18, and http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=589596&forum_id=18&jump_ to=878459

If you want to shoot fast, on any camera, the smaller the file, the faster it will be written to memory. I haven't experimented with this on the Z1012 yet, but if I want to try rapid shooting, I'll turn the file size down, and put up with the diminshed image quality.

Later...

I have now tried smaller sizes, with disappointing results - at 10Mpix, I got three successive shots before the camera said '"Processing..." and made me wait. At 5Mpix, I got four. The buffer must be, as you suggest, rather small. Also, I suspect that choosing a smaller file size captures the full 10Mpix, and then (slowly) resizes it.

So I conclude that on the Z1012, capturing your child at play would best be done with 'first burst' or 'last burst' or lots of patience. But the Z712 would be better.

Another thing to do is steer clear of the automatic modes, which do a lot of clever image processing, but rather slowly. Use the P,A,S,M modes, which will be quicker.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:12 AM   #3

Thank you so much Alan! I started to realize, after reading your posts, that you were probably doing a lot of manual shots-something I still have to learn!

I love the Kodak software and am a little afraid of that issue, but perhaps I need to look at the Panasonic Z28 and the Sony H-50. Assuming I will mainly be on auto, these seem to be good, but I will miss my Kodak!

Do you know if the Kodak software works for other cameras? I assume not!

Again, thank you!
CynthiaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 3:36 AM   #4

CynthiaK wrote:
Quote:
....you were probably doing a lot of manual shots-something I still have to learn!

I love the Kodak software ....Do you know if the Kodak software works for other cameras?.....
Aperture priority & shutter priority aren't really 'manual'. You set an aperture in 'A' mode for example, and the camera does the rest, setting the appropriate shutter speed according to its exposure metering system. For action shots you could set a fast shutter speed and 'S' mode will set the aperture for you.

If you have 'quickview' turned on you'll see the image you've just taken for just a few seconds. If you don't like it, you can twiddle the 'EV' setting up or down, and try again immediately.

When I got my Z712 about 2 years ago I tried the 'Easyshare' software once, and then erased it quickly, because it seemed complex and overblown, but mainly because it was designed to lock users in to Kodak's cameras. Many people have reported difficulties with it in these forums.

Much simpler is just to use a card reader to transfer your files from any memory card to any computer you like, and then organise them using any software you like. That way you aren't locked into anything proprietary, and can buy the camera you think best from any manufacturer. It also has the advantage of not being dependent upon the indescribably tiny, vulnerable, and exposed little USB plugs and sockets that cameras have these days.

Good luck with whatever new camera you get!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote