Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:47 PM   #11

I just received a 30% off offer from Kodak, via email,and I used my previous email from Kodak, about preodering the z980, clicked on the link, applied the 30% off code, and it worked! Takes it down to 279....havn't clicked on the "confirm order" button yet......still pondering....
Janice
2Old4that is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:55 PM   #12

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
...I find the hot shoe permittinguse of the P20 flash very compelling...
Quote:
...Now the issue that rules out a Z1012 for me but makes the Z980 workable. Shooting the airshow I frequently can shoot 3-4 photos on a high-speed pass and 5-6 photos on an aerobatic pass. The issue is buffer size which Kodak did not increase from the Z612 through the Z1012.
Thanks, 'a.c. ',

Good point on the hot shoe. I failed to notice the picture, and the shoe isn't mentioned in the specification (I think), and Kodak's flashgun isn't available in my version of the online shop. I still use my Casio QV5700 occasionally, because it's the only camera I have with a flash-sync socket.

Excellent, 'killer' point on the burst shooting. Quite right. I couldn't repeat the 'son skimming stones' shots you may have seen round here if I used the Z1012, but I did quitesuccessful burst shooting with the Z712. Will the doubled internal memory do the trick, do you think? Let's hope it's not all used up on working memory for silly software.

Go on, buy one, and tell us about it! The Z612 must deserve a rest soon! How many images can it have taken?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:09 PM   #13

2Old4that wrote:
Quote:
I just received a 30% off offer from Kodak, via email,and I used my previous email from Kodak, about preodering the z980, clicked on the link, applied the 30% off code, and it worked! Takes it down to 279....havn't clicked on the "confirm order" button yet......still pondering....
Janice
Janice:

IMHO $279 is a fair price although I also am hesitant to be the first adopter.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:45 PM   #14

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, 'a.c. ',

Good point on the hot shoe. I failed to notice the picture, and the shoe isn't mentioned in the specification (I think), and Kodak's flashgun isn't available in my version of the online shop. I still use my Casio QV5700 occasionally, because it's the only camera I have with a flash-sync socket.

Excellent, 'killer' point on the burst shooting. Quite right. I couldn't repeat the 'son skimming stones' shots you may have seen round here if I used the Z1012, but I did quitesuccessful burst shooting with the Z712. Will the doubled internal memory do the trick, do you think? Let's hope it's not all used up on working memory for silly software.

Go on, buy one, and tell us about it! The Z612 must deserve a rest soon! How many images can it have taken?
Funny enough the hot shoe isn't in the specs. but it is featured on the Features page.

Not everyone needs rip off five or six shots as fast as the camera will operate like I do but I've seen enough comments here and in DP Review to know that some of us have the requirement. There seems to be a close correlation between the number of photos in burst mode and my fast manual triggering and I was quoting the burst mode spec. Based the burst mode spec. it appears that a decent amount ofinternal RAM is available as buffer.

When I buy the Z980 can I tell my wife you made me do it:-)

A. C.

Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:02 PM   #15

can one of you much more camera savvy guys/gals tell me if I would be able to use another brand of flash with this camera, as long as it would hook into the hot shoe on this cam?
guy from Kodak seems to think so, but he wasn't sure.
thanks in advance :?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:44 AM   #16

Yes but you will have to do all the set up manually as the third-party flashes available won't share exposure info with the camera like the P20 will. I think the P20 is on the expensive side it will be the easiest to set up and the most versatile. If you can't spring for a P20 right now I wouldn't worry about putting it off a bit as the camera has a built in flash.

A. C.

Old Mar 19, 2009, 2:16 PM   #17

Is your discount code exclusive to you or can it be shared? I have been looking at this camera as well and wasn't hesitant at 399 price, but 279 might make it a winner. Currently i shoot dslr only, but am tired of being told that i can't take my camera into a concert as it is a "professional camera".

Robin.
rparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 2:43 PM   #18

I'll share it.....I can forward you the email and you can get the code that way. p.m. me and give me an email addy and I'll pass it along.
Janice
Old Mar 21, 2009, 11:12 AM   #19

Found out that the 30% off code was a one time use, and only usable through my puter. Sorry for the false hope. Perhaps go to Kodak.com and sign up for email updates and they'll send you one?

Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:02 PM   #20

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Alan:

I'm not making an issue of f/5 aperture. That's only 1/3 stop slower than the f/4.8 we have now. Under the conditions that I typically use max tele I can still handhold with 1/3 stop slower shutter speed.

A. C.

I'm surprised no one's jumped me on this gaff. f/4.8 is the half stop between f/4 and f/5.6 while f/5 is the 2/3d stop between f/4 and f/5.6. The difference f/4.8 and f/5 is more like 1/6th of a stop.

A. C.