Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 1, 2009, 4:07 PM   #31

I've just received my z980 and so far it appears to be what I wanted with couple exceptions. I purchased mainly for the higher MP and 24 X Zoom. The User Guide that comes with camera does not have much detail.Useof the FocusButton and Jog Dial for instance. It refers to www.kodak.com/go/z980support for further information. However, that website is not even published yet! Therefore, I''m had to go online for Kodak Support and the support people has limited information on this new product. Not being a "professional" camera person I find several of the feature I"d never use. One feature I use on my other cameras is to have the Flash on all the time. However, in order to do that with this camera it must be in the Manual mode and cannot be use in the Smart Capture mode. Not a problem perhaps for many, but it is for me. Also, they battery charger which comes with camera does not proviide a full charge on the batteries even after the required 16-18 hours required. Seems like a long time to get batteries charged. Purchased another charger for less money and got them charged in less that 4 hours.
rimshoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:23 PM   #32

rimshoals wrote:
Quote:
It refers to http://www.kodak.com/go/z980support for further information. However, that website is not even published yet!...
Quote:
One feature I use on my other cameras is to have the Flash on all the time. However, in order to do that with this camera it must be in the Manual mode and cannot be use in the Smart Capture mode. Not a problem perhaps for many, but it is for me.
I found that the site listed is up and running. You might want to download the Extended Users Guide, the link is on that site but here is the direct link to the guide: http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...xUG_GLB_en.pdf

I'm not really surprised that you can't have the flash on all the time in Smart Capture as having it on all the time makes some shutter speed and aperture changes in other Z series camera that would greatly reduce the flexability of the Smart Capture mode. Having it on all the time really reduces the capability of the camera and I have had to troubleshoot user problems in this forum and at DPReview caused by inappropriate use of the flash (mainly ghosting with moving subjects.)

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:13 PM   #33

A.C.-

I, too, am interested in the Z-980, but I have decided to wait for awhile. The colors still look rather bleached out, and lacking in the proper Kodak saturation, that I would expect from a Kodak camera.

There must be some logical adjustment to make to get the colors back to where we have come to expect them. I am still using my Z-712 in place of my Z-1012, as I rather dislike the colors consistently produced by the Z-1012.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:16 AM   #34

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
...interested in the Z-980, but I have decided to wait ...colors still look rather bleached out...adjustment to make to get the colors back...I am still using my Z-712 in place of my Z-1012,,dislike the colors ...by the Z-1012.
Sarah Joyce,

I have had the 'Color Mode' setting of both my Z712 and Z1012 set to 'High Color' more or less from the start, in order to provide a rendering equivalent to what I can see with my own eyes at the moment of taking the shot, and to what I got from all my previous digicams (5 of them, some bought for immediate family members). Viewing the EVF through one eye then looking at the real world through the other provides an immediate comparison (if your eyes' coloursare equivalent, as mine seem to be).

Another factor is thatbothcameras seem to overexpose a little (to my taste) by default in PAS modes, so I leave both set to -0.3EV by default. This improves saturation as well.

Curiously, the fully automatic ("Smart Capture" ) mode on the Z1012 doesn't seem to overexpose as the automatic modedoes on the Z712. Further, it says it has switched to 'Natural Color' but nevertheless produces a nicely saturated result. I don't use it very often on either camera. The only 'scene' I use regularly is 'panorama', and I have to fool the meter (on both cameras) by fixing the exposure with lots of sky included, as that's the only exposure control one has. The preview in the EVF is invaluable in this.I find it, and the 'quickview', provide an excellent impression of what the stored image will look like.

Strange to say, I have almost arrived at the same conclusion as you, and have been wondering whether to take the Z712 instead of the Z1012 on holiday with me shortly. This is partly because of the enormous increase in file size, for not a lot of benefit in image quality. I'm filling up USB hard drives and CDs alarmingly rapidly. Also the Z1012 seems to eat batteries (including the KLIC-8000) more voraciously thanthe Z712. 4xAA will fix that problem on the Z980. I wonder if it would take a pair of CR-V3-sized Li-ions?

I do hope you decide to try out the Z980. You and 'a.c.' would each provide excellently well-considered and calibrated reviews, priceless to the Kodak community.

Looking forward to any of your results!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:59 AM   #35

Hi Alan-

Thanks so much for the color info. I decided to wait for a month or so on the Z-980, as we head off for a month in South America beginning tomorrow. I will be taking my Sony H-50 with me on this trip.

It was just a bit too much of a rush to attempt to get a Z-980 in hand to go on this trip. I will keep you posted. And by the way lately I have been using my Z712 more than the Z-1012, because of better sharpness and colour from the Z-712.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:22 PM   #36

A bit more info-

I relented and borrowed the Z-1012, that I had given to my son for Christmas when I arrived in Portland, OR today. So, I will have a Kodak Z-1012 camera set to high colour, to use during our upcoming South America trip.

It just seemed a shame that I was not carrying a Kodak camera to record the 29 day trip to Buenos Aires, Valparaiso, and on up the west coast of South America to San Diego.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 8, 2009, 12:58 PM   #37

Flickr has a large group of Kodak Z980 photos now and I must admit that they are quite impressive. I still remain optimistic about the Z-980.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 11, 2009, 10:20 PM   #38

I found a new website called, www.KodakZ-980fan.com tonight. You might want to check it out.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:35 PM   #39

Yes, and for those of you who might be wondering, I am indeed going to purchase the Kodak Z-980. I am just waiting for the reviews.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 12, 2009, 12:12 AM   #40

Well, I did it!

I ordered a Z-980 camera tonight (05/11). Stand by, for some Kodak Z-980 sample photos, as soon as I recieve the camera. probably around 05/15 or there abouts. Somebody has to have a bit of guts here on the Kodak Forum.

Sarah Joyce