Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 12, 2009, 2:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Well, I did it! ...Stand by, for some Kodak Z-980 sample photos...
I doubt you'll be disappointed, Sarah Joyce. I had a long talk this morning to Steve (MD of Wrexham Cameras, not 'Steve's Digicams') this morning. I respect his views on cameras enormously, though I don't always agree. After sitting over a pint in a nearby pub, digesting his latest printed reviews, I doorstepped him as he took his cigarette break outside his shop.

His mini-review says, after his thorough try-out, on holiday in Egypt, (quoted with permission)...

"Brilliant camera with a very useful built-in vertical grip. Tons of features including a big 3-inch screen & flash hot shoe. Huge & very high quality 24x optical zoom that gives fabulous pictures. It's expensive but worth the money."

They're selling it for 349 ukpounds (US$523 approx). They print 14x11 images from all recommended cameras, and put them in a folder on the counter for inspection, but he he hasn't done it yet for the Z980. All he had was a picture of his wife (a model) stuck in the window. You'll get the flavour if you look at their website ( www.wrexcam.com ) . A full review will appear there shortly, I expect.

From that mini-review you can see he likes it a lot. But, in conversation, he also found it rather slow in operation (hopeless in burst mode, "but who needs it?"), and didn't like what he saw as a very plasticky, shiny, cheap-looking finish, compared with the Z-series predecessors.

So I'm very much looking forward to your own review!

Last edited by Alan T; May 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 3:01 PM   #42

Hi Alan-

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I too was somewhat let down by the plasticky look/finish of the camera, but based on all that I have read, most users are very pleased with the Z-980. So I bit the bullet and purchased the camera. I should receive the camera early next week. So I will post photos as soon as I have the camera in hand and will do a mini review as well. The delivered price was $(US)367.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 6:49 PM   #43

The new Kodak Z980 is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (05/15). I will keep you posted. For anyone who might be interested, there is also a new Kodak Z-980 Forum at www.z980fan.com. It is just getting started, but it is growing fast. Come join into the discussion and learn more about the wonderful new Kodak Z-980 camera.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 14, 2009 at 9:25 PM.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:42 AM   #44

Well-

Here are some of the very first photos from the new Z-980 camera. Like the Z-1012, it is a rather competent superzoom camera, but it will not replace a DSLR, but then neither is it the size of a DSLR camera.

It does very well with close-up or macro photos, as you can see from this sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2009, 10:45 AM   #45

This photo was taken without flash inside a supermarket to evaluate the 26mm wideangle and the color rendition using just Auto WB when shooting under flourescent lighting.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2009, 10:52 AM   #46

This photo was taken in bright sunlight, using EV -1.0 to control the overexposure on an orange-red flower to see how the Z-980 would handle the difficult colo to record.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2009, 2:12 PM   #47

Here is another photo from the new Kodak Z980 camera. It is dense fog outside so this is a close-up shot.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2009, 2:15 PM   #48

Here is the second close-up from this morning's shots.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2009, 5:25 PM   #49

Default Z980 with the P-20 Flash

When the Z980 is equipped with the Kodak P-20 External Flash the IQ shows a measurable improvement. They make a nice combination.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2009, 11:30 PM   #50

If you would post a picture of the 1012 and 980 side by side.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote