Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 25, 2009, 5:28 PM   #1

Is it just me or are other people having the same experience? I am in South America shooting with the Z-1012. The Z-1012 is doing a creditable job, but it still cannot surpass my Kodak Z-712 which is now at home. I like the color and the sharpness a bit better with my Z-712.

Well we will be home on 05/11 and I am looking forward to dusting off my Z-712 and shooting with it again.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:35 PM   #2

Sarah:

You might be interested in this link over at DPReview expressing much the same thought: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....amp;forum=1011

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks a lot, AC-

I guess that proves what I have been thinking. My Z-712 remains an excellent camera, capable of just about any demands you make on it.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 2, 2009, 12:02 PM   #4

Yep, if you search you'll find I said long ago that the Z712is may just be the best rig on the market for the money, evan for twice the money.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 4:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments SW2CAM-

I am shooting with the Z-1012 now and am only moderately pleased with the IQ. When I compare the Z-1012 photos to my Z-712 photos, it is not much of a competition. The Z-712 wins easily.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 4, 2009, 1:36 PM   #6

I used my Z712 in 438 shots over a week's holiday just now, and was delighted with it. Shortly before that I did some test shots with that and the Z1012 alongside each other, and I'm still working on presenting some of those.

However, I'd used the Z1012 intensively from November08 until then, and was very happy with that one too. The Z712 is much faster in use, and the interface is a bit simplerfor those controls that I use all the time. The Z712 often overexposes by about 0.3EV to my mind, and the Z1012 by more than that, sometimes much more. I usually set exposure by twiddling the live preview in the EVF to avoid blown important highlights, if I have time.

Looking at the images alongside each other, I generally prefer the 712, but it's very difficult to express exactly why. Critical viewing of enlarged images is confounded by the fact that they're different pixel sizes. I'm working on comparison of downsized and upsized images, so that I'm in principle making pixel for pixel comparisons, but it's not easy.

Also, the darn lighting keeps changing. I rushed out at dawn with both cameras when I spotted our illuminated back garden the other day, but the shots couldn't be compared directly.

The very best was the first, and that's from Z1012...

Model: KODAK EASYSHARE Z1012 IS Digital Camera
Date taken: 29 April 2009 05:30:40 GMT
Exposure program: Aperture priority
Exposure bias [EV]: -1.0
35mm focal length [mm]: 124
ISO value: 100
Shutter speed [s]: 1/40
Aperture: F5.7

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 5:08 PM   #7

Hi Alan-

Thanks for the nice photo. Currently, I am still in South America, but will be home again in a week for a couple of weeks. Then I hope to more experimenting of the Z-1012 and the Z-712 side by side.

Browsing my files I tend to favfor the photos from the Z-712 by a small margin.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 11, 2009, 9:00 PM   #8

Default Go Kodak Z-712!

Its 05/11/2009 and we are back in Portland, OR!

I truly believe that the Kodak Z-712 is a knock-out performer! Here is another photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2009, 10:23 PM   #9

That is indeed a very nice photo and I don't believe I've seen in before. I'm a softie for sunsets.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 10:32 PM   #10

AC-

No, this is a brand new photo. I am now in Portland, and will be home on 05/13 in Brookings. The first thing that I will do is to make a grab for the Z-712 camera. Shortly, thereater, I will have even more Z-712 photos. Anyway you interpet it. the kodak Z-712 camera is a hard camera to beat, IQ-wise!

Sarah Joyce